no breakfast before getting off ship!

S.S.Oceanlover

I was pulled aside for random TSA screening myself. NBD, right? I was traveling alone, and watched my belongings get pushed to the edge of the little conveyor belt. I asked the screener if they could be put aside so no-one would take them. I think you know what her answer was.

This does bother me because for years you've been told to keep a close eye on your carry-on's going through the scanner to make sure no one else steals them while you're distracted with the metal detectors, etc. If the TSA is deliberately leaving your carry-on items exposed and unprotected while they check you out, that is just wrong. :mad:

That is nice :mad: that they "randomly" pick someone to HARASS. I believe your story, but don't like the way it played out for you. Why Carnival was involved in such a way is confusing -- basically throwing you to the wolves. The last morning is not the most pleasant anyway. WOW.

We were HARASSED by customs when we got off the ship in Miami a few months ago -- I think it was an NCL sailing. The ONLY thing we bought was a ring for Cheryl in one of the ports. It was something like $1,600. Evidently that amount is very close to the limit two people could claim without duty or something. We handed him the form and he said "is that all you bought"? We replied yes. He said "do you have the receipt". I replied yes. He asked to see it. I indicated that it was somewhere in one of our 4 bags, but was not sure exactly where. He said we must produce it - and that either we needed to get it, or he would search our luggage for it. Fortunately it was in our main carry off bag - the first one we checked. We, no doubt, appeared suspicious :rolleyes:. I asked what would happen if we did not have the receipt, he said he would keep the ring. I asked what would have happened had we not claimed anything - he asked if I wanted to change my customs form... saying that he would still keep the ring. I told him that this is the kind of treatment we get for being honest.

Once before I had a guy (customs) say, "nice watch, did you just buy it"? They obviously go fishing from time to time. Am I supposed to carry a receipt for EVERYTHING that we have as PROTECTION... so that we don't have to forfeit whatever it is that they are focused on?? !!

I know that they have a job to do, but... ! :confused:

Tom

I think you're right about them going fishing from time to time. A few years back, DH and I got off the ship and he hadn't bought anything on that cruise (DH is not a shopper). Well the customs guy didn't believe him at first and gave him a bit of a hard time.:eek:

Last month, we went on a 4 day Imagination cruise. We stayed on the ship in Key West, and in Cozumel the weather was overcast, so all we did was go to Panchos Backyard for margaritas and chips & salsa and looked around Purta Maya a bit. DH didn't buy a thing, and for the first time neither did I. We didn't buy anything on the ship either (well, except for drinks), so I was a little worried that customs wouldn't believe us and give us a hassle.:eek: Miraculously, they did not.:)

There are many US citizens who have committed acts of terrorism. Timothy McVeigh and his cohorts comes to mind.

And, my comment you quoted was not directed at circumstances surrounding general "Customs" issues, it was directed at something completely different.

Touche . Too bad he did not pass through customs perhaps they would have detected the tons of nitrate he had for the evil he did.. My point would be with the increase in databases and electronic spying/programs the government is conducting; customs is simply doing a customs type job looking for revenue at expense of travelers time.

While there are plenty of American terrorists the largest death toll was still accomplished by religious fanatics from abroad.

Touche . Too bad he did not pass through customs perhaps they would have detected the tons of nitrate he had for the evil he did.. My point would be with the increase in databases and electronic spying/programs the government is conducting; customs is simply doing a customs type job looking for revenue at expense of travelers time.

While there are plenty of American terrorists the largest death toll was still accomplished by religious fanatics from abroad.

Agreed, no arguements here.

You make the exact same point I made in my original response to the poster I quoted. The experience they noted, one-way flight and picking-up a vehicle, are probably red-flags. Not saying that's why they were inconvenienced, but certainly seems like it could be a good reason why.

What then is acceptable border protection? Or, maybe none at all, just leave it open for the masses to come in freely and bring in what they want?

That's not a smart-azz question either. Seriously, what do you think should change and why?

After reading this whole long thread, this is my question as well (not related to the OP's problem, which was custom's related).

While I agree that many of the practices of the TSA seem arbitrary and sometimes silly and definitely need improvement, just what do some of you think could improve our safety and and the procedures for intercepting terrorists that would be better?

I'm being serious too, I really don't know what would be better. I don't think most people are suggesting just abandoning all the security checks, but it seems like the only way to change, while still being vigilant, would be to either just give up on homeland security or to get much more restrictive. But maybe it's just that I don't know what else could be done.

I don't like going through all this either. For some reason, I, a 65-year-old very soccer-mom (or grandma) looking person is often pulled aside, while my husband isn't.

Really, what else would improve safety and preserve rights? At least we haven't had a major tragedy (though close) since some of these measures were instituted. Not to say that it will never happen with millions of people flying in and out and around the country every year; to be practical, there is no way that 100% security will ever be achieved. We just have to do the best we can.

What did they search? I thought luggage express sent your luggage with out you having to deal with it.

Luv's Crusin'

Yea that is strange, they said they used Luggage express, and their luggage was still there.

The story is a little hard to believe, I think it is a Troll, look how many posts this was, only 10,000 I hate when members come on and their first ten thousand posts are just bashing everything.

Sorry, had to say it, if they had only had a few posts, everyone would have been calling them liars, and trolls.

While I agree that many of the practices of the TSA seem arbitrary and sometimes silly and definitely need improvement, just what do some of you think could improve our safety and and the procedures for intercepting terrorists that would be better?

I have been a consultant to a major transportation organization. I know what will really assure security. The current approach is only window dressing. Every time TSA actually tests security at an airport, it fails miserably. What really needs to be done is extremely expensive. It is not politically correct. It has been proven in other nations to work. I am not about to address even the most vague idea of what I am talking about on a public forum. The system requires a degree of background secrecy to achieve results.

Doc

I have no problem with being searched or detained or delayed in order to keep me safe. What the OP described to me however is NOT acceptable.

There is no reason CCL should have not informed them what was going on....just barking orders to get off the ship 'NOW' is not OK.

Also what Tom described going through with customs is not acceptable. It had nothing to do with his safety or anyone else's.

Perhaps TSA requires that the suspect is kept in the dark so they can't do something knowing they are to be searched.

I have been a consultant to a major transportation organization. I know what will really assure security. The current approach is only window dressing. Every time TSA actually tests security at an airport, it fails miserably. What really needs to be done is extremely expensive. It is not politically correct. It has been proven in other nations to work. I am not about to address even the most vague idea of what I am talking about on a public forum. The system requires a degree of background secrecy to achieve results.

Doc

Thank you. I believe you in that measures that really work would not be tolerated by the American public, would definitely not be PC and would cost a lot. I have an inkling of countries you have in mind.

I'm not saying we should go the more extreme route, I was addressing posters who keep saying ' it needs to change' but seem to have no ideas about how, about consequences, expenses, etc., loss of more freedoms, or alternately an even lower level of safety than now exits.

We probably can't prevent all or most acts of terrism without much more extreme, restrictive measures. I understand that. FIt's kind of a Catch--22.

Yea that is strange, they said they used Luggage express, and their luggage was still there.

The story is a little hard to believe, I think it is a Troll, look how many posts this was, only 10,000 I hate when members come on and their first ten thousand posts are just bashing everything.

Sorry, had to say it, if they had only had a few posts, everyone would have been calling them liars, and trolls.

You never know... years of thought and many thousands of posts may have been all PART OF A PLAN to be taken seriously... hmmm :confused:

:D

(BTW -- I am OK with $2 bills for tipping as well!)

Tom

Thank you. I believe you in that measures that really work would not be tolerated by the American public, would definitely not be PC and would cost a lot. I have an inkling of countries you have in mind.

I'm not saying we should go the more extreme route, I was addressing posters who keep saying ' it needs to change' but seem to have no ideas about how, about consequences, expenses, etc., loss of more freedoms, or alternately an even lower level of safety than now exits.

We probably can't prevent all or most acts of terrism without much more extreme, restrictive measures. I understand that. FIt's kind of a Catch--22.

It's always about the buck. People would quit traveling, and the whole billion dollar industry would take a hit. TPTB aren't willing to take that chance just to catch a would be terrorist. Even without those measures being taken, I've resolved myself to the fact that it's no longer worth traveling by air or ship.

You never know... years of thought and many thousands of posts may have been all PART OF A PLAN to be taken seriously... hmmm :confused:

:D

(BTW -- I am OK with $2 bills for tipping as well!)

Tom

you guys found me out. My plan has reeally come together.:p

$2 bills? What, no John Deere key chains?

Bill

We were HARASSED by customs when we got off the ship in Miami a few months ago -- I think it was an NCL sailing. The ONLY thing we bought was a ring for Cheryl in one of the ports. It was something like $1,600. Evidently that amount is very close to the limit two people could claim without duty or something. We handed him the form and he said "is that all you bought"? We replied yes. He said "do you have the receipt". I replied yes. He asked to see it. I indicated that it was somewhere in one of our 4 bags, but was not sure exactly where. He said we must produce it - and that either we needed to get it, or he would search our luggage for it. Fortunately it was in our main carry off bag - the first one we checked. We, no doubt, appeared suspicious :rolleyes:. I asked what would happen if we did not have the receipt, he said he would keep the ring. I asked what would have happened had we not claimed anything - he asked if I wanted to change my customs form... saying that he would still keep the ring. I told him that this is the kind of treatment we get for being honest.

I'm a little confused ... you did get to keep the ring, right? :confused:

Yes - a well placed bullet to them all would likely trigger the device... (though I do see the point you are trying to make).

63447655_HKXRQ-M.jpg

Miller was keeping us safe:

63447657_aZbWV-M.jpg

This was one of my favorite pastimes there:

63447660_teP8G-M.jpg

Tom

You're giving away your secret identity!

Bill is not a troll! I was on the same sailing on the Valor as Bill. Although we wound up never meeting we chatted on the roll call. The ship docked but the luggage was delayed and did not start going off the ship until about 7:15 or so because a passenger was being met by an Ambulance. Normally, as soon as the ship docks the hi-lo's are taking the luggage off but in this case they waited until the ambulance and police cars had left. If you read his original post he was called at 8:00 by Guest Services. Highly unlikely all the Express Luggage was off, screened and on it's way to MIA & FLL at that time.

He was randomly picked just like anyone of us can be...Express Luggage, Self-Assist, etc.

That is nice :mad: that they "randomly" pick someone to HARASS. I believe your story, but don't like the way it played out for you. Why Carnival was involved in such a way is confusing -- basically throwing you to the wolves. The last morning is not the most pleasant anyway. WOW.

Once before I had a guy (customs) say, "nice watch, did you just buy it"? They obviously go fishing from time to time. Am I supposed to carry a receipt for EVERYTHING that we have as PROTECTION... so that we don't have to forfeit whatever it is that they are focused on?? !!

I know that they have a job to do, but... ! :confused:

Tom

I'd have thought that such an experienced traveler as yourself would understand that this happens from time to time - might even have known someone who had the experience - and that as such a traveler, you would certainly not assume that just because it was your turn to be picked for the random check, you were being, as you said, "HARASSED."

Yes, they have a job to do, period - there's no "but" at the end of that sentence.

Bill is not a troll! I was on the same sailing on the Valor as Bill. Although we wound up never meeting we chatted on the roll call. The ship docked but the luggage was delayed and did not start going off the ship until about 7:15 or so because a passenger was being met by an Ambulance. Normally, as soon as the ship docks the hi-lo's are taking the luggage off but in this case they waited until the ambulance and police cars had left. If you read his original post he was called at 8:00 by Guest Services. Highly unlikely all the Express Luggage was off, screened and on it's way to MIA & FLL at that time.

He was randomly picked just like anyone of us can be...Express Luggage, Self-Assist, etc.

Thanks for having my back.:)

Bill

I'd have thought that such an experienced traveler as yourself would understand that this happens from time to time - might even have known someone who had the experience - and that as such a traveler, you would certainly not assume that just because it was your turn to be picked for the random check, you were being, as you said, "HARASSED."

Yes, they have a job to do, period - there's no "but" at the end of that sentence.

Sure there was a "BUT"... I re-read my statement, and there it was! :)

I understand the reasoning behind "random" checks... nonetheless, I felt HARASSED! (I can't change the way I felt... sorry)

Tom

It's easy to forget those procedures and policies are in place to protect you and the rest of the public.

It's also easy to let it bother you if you are singled out. But, anyone that is innocent should accept it and appreciate the job these people do. I would be honored to experience it.

We are all entitled to our opinion. TSA is a frickin' joke and serves no purpose other than to supply government jobs to those too inadequate to be gainfully employed in the public sector. DBF flies every week and can supply more examples than the TSA website.

Archived