how do you get upgrades?

reddchevy

It's very random. Sometimes we get a call with a good upgrade offer, sometimes a bad offer, sometimes no offer at all. The last time we got a FREE upgrade was years ago when we had only sailed CCL a couple times, since then no free offers. And I know some very experienced cruisers who rarely get any offers, so really very hit or miss. I'd say, book the room you want and don't EXPECT to get a call.

Free upgrades are almost never offered ... but they still happen.

upsells, where you pay to be upgraded but sometimes at a lower price (sometimes the deal is not a deal, so beware) are happening. I believe they start at the top and work their way down thru the categories ... so if you are in a 1A they probably wouldnt get to you.

I havent got a upgrade or upsell offer, so I think they arent all that common .. not every sailing has upsells.

Not random though. they start with the most expensive and then go in alphabetical order Iv heard... and work their way down thru the categories.

It's very random. Sometimes we get a call with a good upgrade offer, sometimes a bad offer, sometimes no offer at all. The last time we got a FREE upgrade was years ago when we had only sailed CCL a couple times, since then no free offers. And I know some very experienced cruisers who rarely get any offers, so really very hit or miss. I'd say, book the room you want and don't EXPECT to get a call.

Good advice. :)

On our cruise in January on the Liberty, my sister called her PVP and told her she would like to be called with any upsell opportunities. Low and behold, a week or two before the cruise, he DH rec'd a call offering them the captain's suite (nicest suite in the entire fleet, the Liberty is the only ship with a cabin in this class) and he DH said no thank you!! He had a hard time living that down...

But the point is, it wouldn't hurt to call your PVP if you booked through Carnival. Not sure if it would work with a TA.

On our cruise in January on the Liberty, my sister called her PVP and told her she would like to be called with any upsell opportunities. Low and behold, a week or two before the cruise, he DH rec'd a call offering them the captain's suite (nicest suite in the entire fleet, the Liberty is the only ship with a cabin in this class) and he DH said no thank you!! He had a hard time living that down...

But the point is, it wouldn't hurt to call your PVP if you booked through Carnival. Not sure if it would work with a TA.

Living what down, not spending the extra 5K?:)

Nope - that's the best part - it was offered for just $600! they were already in a regular balcony room (maybe verandah deck, nothing special).

Wow - only $600 to upgrade. Sorry - I can pay that and get another cruise. Some times a deal is not a deal. A balcony would do me just fine - but then I am not too fussy. If I was cabin bound for some reason - okay - but I only sleep and get dressed there - otherwise I am out and about and can sure get out and about on $600.

How can anyone say that $600 total for an upgrade to Captains suite from a regular balcony is not a deal?? Wow. :eek:

We were offered the opportunity to upgrade to a OS from Balcony for $540...that is not a good deal. It is about the same as it would have cost at time of booking.

You can also pay for an upgrade.

We had gotten a great price for an inside on an upcoming cruise leaving in one week.

Noticed quite a few cabins were still unsold and followed pricing. Member of our roll call let us know prices suddenly dropped drastically.

Had a choice of either a free upgrade to OV or pay 130 pp for balcony and choose the balcony.

Just gotta watch the price and strike while the iron is hot.

Nope - that's the best part - it was offered for just $600! they were already in a regular balcony room (maybe verandah deck, nothing special).

$600 total? i would probably take that, that's a fine deal. I have heard the same upsell for 2k-4k so really that's not bad.

I just got a call the other day for our upcoming and we have an interior room on empress and he offered a balcony one floor up for $200 more. i declined b/c before I called back I checked the price with our original past guest price and if I had wanted a get a balcony I CAN GET IT at 120 more. Granted it was not on deck 8 but it was on Empress (7) so this was not a good deal at all for us. I had always wanted to get the call but now I am wondering how many people are getting railroaded into thinking they are getting something better just because they "are calling to offer some amazing promotions". Oh well ;)

You can also pay for an upgrade.

We had gotten a great price for an inside on an upcoming cruise leaving in one week.

Noticed quite a few cabins were still unsold and followed pricing. Member of our roll call let us know prices suddenly dropped drastically.

Had a choice of either a free upgrade to OV or pay 130 pp for balcony and choose the balcony.

Just gotta watch the price and strike while the iron is hot.

How long before your cruise was that drastic pricing drop?

I just got a call the other day for our upcoming and we have an interior room on empress and he offered a balcony one floor up for $200 more. i declined b/c before I called back I checked the price with our original past guest price and if I had wanted a get a balcony I CAN GET IT at 120 more. Granted it was not on deck 8 but it was on Empress (7) so this was not a good deal at all for us. I had always wanted to get the call but now I am wondering how many people are getting railroaded into thinking they are getting something better just because they "are calling to offer some amazing promotions". Oh well ;)

Good point! Always check pricing before committing.

Hope you paid the upgrade yourself for $120 total. That's pretty awesome of a deal from Inside to Balcony. ;)

I've been on 27 cruises with CCL an I've rarely got a up grade. I have been moved from an interior cabin up a deck to an interior cabin, I do not consider this a up grade, but very rarely to an out side cabin. You would think that the more cruises taken the more up grades, not so.

Gary

Just got a sweet upgrade for our upcoming Splendor cruise. Booked a 8-B GTY...Cabin was TBA till about 30 days out....pleased with our 8-F :D

A B and an F are identical cabins. Just in different locations. And the F location may not be as desirable for some as the B location was.

ONLY when the number changes is it a TRUE upgrade. An 8 to a 9, that is an upgrade. You got a 'relocation.'

A 8A GUARANTEE means an 8A cabin or better. You got what you booked.

I would agree with Dan, if its not a TYPE of cabin change its NOT AN UPGRADE. Being moved around in the same type of cabin with different LOCATIONS may or may not be desirable (depends on the passengers)

I cruise last minute and have been upgraded from a 1A about 1/3 of the time. . . usually to a 4A, but once to an OV (the remnants of Hurricane Jeanne were going through NYC and there probably were cancellations) and twice to the old 5As on the SPIRIT class.(not a very desirable upgrade, IMHO)

I called Carnival today and was a little disappointed. This is my 4th cruise. When I made my reservations with a certain person, I assumed that I could call on that person when I called back. Well, apparently not. I do not know what I did wrong? Oh well.:confused:

Anyway, the person I talked to today told me that the person I spoke to when making the reservation did not have an extension number. I was surprised. I told her that I wanted to see about an upgrade. She told me that I would have to check the website each day for any price drops? She also told me that no Suites were available, but I see them online. We have always had a balcony and I was trying to upgrade to a suite. When I told her that I had heard about people getting "the call", she said that was doen randomly. She also said that she, nor my contact person, had the authority to see those "deals". :(

So, I assume I will just check the website each day and hope that I am one of the "lucky" ones to get a call with a real deal. Who knows? We sail on the Freedom on November 6th, so time will tell.:D

I will keep you posted if things change.:rolleyes:

Archived