What is the single most significant thing a butler did for you?

buffi001

What is the single best thing that a butler ever did for you? It's our

first cruise in a suite with butler service, and I am at a loss for things

that a butler could do for us. I realize that this may be our only

opportunity for this degree of pampering, and I want to take advantage

of the experience of cruisers who are used to this special treatment.

What is the single most significant thing a butler did for me?

He kept his mouth shut.

And how else did he earn his money. Did he act a waiter by serving you each course when you dined in?

Did he get your bath ready for you by running the water at just the right temperature and adding just the right amount of bath oil/salts.

Did he make sure that you got on the excursions you wanted? I know the concierge also does this but as your butler you would get individual attention compared to the dozens of requests the concierge would get.

So what else does he do? I am hesitant about getting a suite that also comes with a bulter because I wouldn't know what to request from him.

And how else did he earn his money. Did he act a waiter by serving you each course when you dined in? NO

Did he get your bath ready for you by running the water at just the right temperature and adding just the right amount of bath oil/salts. NO thanks!

. . .

So what else does he do? I am hesitant about getting a suite that also comes with a bulter because I wouldn't know what to request from him.

he got our dining mixup straightened out, got us a bridge tour, brought hors de oeuvres every eve, tea and snacks in p.m., hot brkfst in a.m., and gave us very helpful information.

We were on Celebrity.

He honored our request he go away and not bother us. I find them more a nuisance than anything else unless a particular, unexpected, unusual circumstance should arise.

I much prefer HAL's Concierge's for Suite guests. The combination of excellent cabin steward and capable concierge beats butler any day IMO

he got our dining mixup straightened out, got us a bridge tour, brought hors de oeuvres every eve, tea and snacks in p.m., hot brkfst in a.m., and gave us very helpful information.

We were on Celebrity.

He honored our request he go away and not bother us. I find them more a nuisance than anything else unless a particular, unexpected, unusual circumstance should arise.

I much prefer HAL's Concierge's for Suite guests. The combination of excellent cabin steward and capable concierge beats butler any day IMO

I thank you and I'm sure the OP thanks you for your answers. At least now we have something to go on. Quite frankly I might embrassed to have a bulter but I would be willing to give it a try, at least once.

I had the same butler on 3 cruises with NCL, I was not getting to restraunts alot and missing many meals(I know I know) I needed to gamble or go off ship. Anyway he brought me cornflakes and milk and stocked my fridge with them saying I had to eat something. Then once I said I liked chocalte covered strawberries he brought them to me nightly. He was wonderful for me, I was solo, he made sure I was fed, slept well changed my pillows, made sure I had enough ice, Andrew Catalan. I wrote to NCL to let them know what an asset he was

I thank you and I'm sure the OP thanks you for your answers. At least now we have something to go on. Quite frankly I might embrassed to have a bulter but I would be willing to give it a try, at least once.

I have always wondered if ANYONE actually had their butlers unpack their luggage for them! as this is listed as one of the "perks" on most cruise lines....seems totally ludicrous to me!

For the most part our butlers have kept the kitchen and fridge full of our favorite beverages and made dining reservations in specialty restaurants. It was nice to not have to stand in those lines...

I actually got to the point that I dreaded seeing him as we really wanted to be left alone! But I think that since we didn't order room service or have any "special" requests, that he was bored! And probably was worried about us NOT tipping well.....which we did. It was not HIS fault that we did not utilize him more.

I think mainly he was important in that he was "there" in case we needed anything.......For me, it is all about the size and quality of the suites that come with a butler.....NOT the butler itself that matters......as I can pour my OWN champagne, etc!

That's the spirit! Actually, it's an amazing thing when to let yourself be serviced.

We are so preoccupied with what "I" want to have,do,be,ect. That letting so done else do it seems like a waste of time or even laziness or a loss of self determination.

But if you look at it as a lesson in self love (you are worth the attentive care of your fellow human beings) and love of others (by patiently allowing others to do their job and compliment them on it) and the BEST lesson of all: to discover that you don't have to always MAKE things happen. It's actually more relaxing to put your faith in your fellow human beings and just LET things happen, trusting that they will.

It can be a beautiful way to cultivate zen mind.

Archived