Should we be worried? Travel Warning

nps001

While I definitely understand your concerns, I would go ahead and enjoy your cruise! We have been on 5 European cruise since 9/11 and while the possibility of an attack ..plane, hotel, tourist site, ship, etc. has always been in the back of my mind, we have gone ahead and enjoyed our vacation.

It is beyond sad and heartbreaking that we have to worry knowing that a group of evil people are dedicating their lives to bringing death and terror to so many innocent people, all in the name of religion.

In my heart of hearts I always believe that good triumphs evil ...go ahead and enjoy your much deserved vacation!!

Happy Sailings,

Nancy

I would be more worried about pickpockets in Barcelona,in The uk we have travel warnings to most countries

Interesting...In professional travel in over 50 years,

I was a victim ONCE. In Acapulco Mexico.

A pickpocket, but, he failed in his attempt.

I got the police and, the Mexican cops told me:

"But, Senor, this is how he makes his living..." :cool:

We'll be back in Europe in the Springtime again...

We had a similar concern travelling to the USA for the first time last June.

Thankfully my wife seemed quite relaxed after she experienced the nightmare of getting through the immigration desk at Miami airport.

We are looking forward to our cruise around Great Britain in July (Princess this time). We have three days booked in London pre-cruise. I am nervous but not panicked....

We booked ship's transfers and bus tours while in London--no public transport or hop on/ off busses planned.. Other than that--just hope for the best & enjoy.

I am also glad we took a later flight home which will allow much more time for screening etc.. and we will be getting travel ins asap

We cruised to the Mexican Riviera in April & felt quite safe.. in Acapulco we took an excursion to a resort where we were well protected but other than that it was fine-- things have deteriorated since then which is a shame-It was such a lovely trip!!

All over the news, it is being reported that the US government is set to announce travel warnings for Europe starting tomorrow due to a "credible but non specific threat"

We leave a week from today and will be in Barcelona for 3 days before embarking on Century for 12 nights.

Oh please. I'm from New York and he is from England. What's to worry about? :rolleyes:

Bryan and Roger

Threats were not for Barcelona. They were for London, Paris, and Berlin. Even at that I would still go to Paris anytime. I was in NYC on April 30 in Times Square. The next day there was the bomb in the truck less than a block from where I had been the previous day. And, I went back to NYC in July. Get out there and have a great time.

If I had stopped everything due to perceived risk I'd never have flown to America (2 weeks after 9/11) I'd never have swam in the red sea in egypt, or seen ephasis in Turkey, or survived in my job which requires me taking a train to central London every month.

Stay vigilant, look out for each other and travel safely

Rachel

X

I totally agree. We traveled to Greece and Turkey 3 weeks after 9/11 and never felt safer. In 4 days we leave for a 12 night cruise to Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt. Wouldn't dream of cancelling! We will also be in Puerto Vallarta in December. You just need to stay aware of your surroundings....be travel smart.

I agree with the poster above who said that they would be more concerned with the pickpockets in Barcelona. You probably have a greater chance of being pickpocketed than hit by a terrorist act. The warnings were not for Spain anyway, mainly for the UK and France. Just take precautions and be aware of your surroundings (that goes for the pickpockets, too!).

We are booked on the Century on the 13th-25th out of Barcelona. While we were initially hesitant, we decided to go and enjoy. My husband, who is staying behiind while my mom and I go, is less enthused. But I promised Santa Lucia I would visit her tomb in Venice if mom got her eyesight back.(She has central retinal vein occusion) After one year and 4 injections, she did (against all odds). We started planning in April and thats that. What will be,will be.

My wife and I will be flying to Europe on the 13th. We will spend 4 days in Sorrento and then take the train to Civitavecchia where we will board the Noordam for a 16 day repositioning cruise. It will stop in Livorno, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Cartegna, Malaga, Cadiz and the Funchal Islands and will terminate in Fort Lauderdale.

I am a retired officer and I lived in Napoli in the early 80s when the Red Brigade were active and US military personnel were perceived to be prime targets. In fact, they did kidnap a US Army general during my stay (he was rescued unhurt). The Caribinieri raided a Red Brigade hidehout and found detailed info on the base where I was stationed. They also found an arms cache hidden in a field adjacent to the base. The odds are that you are more likely to win the lottery or be hit by lightening than to be a victim of a terrorist attack.

I just checked my reservation for the October 18 Noordam sailing. I had already purchased a 20 drink wine card, 10 coffee card and a 20 soda card. They are still showing as such on my reservation.

We are booked on the Century on the 13th-25th out of Barcelona. While we were initially hesitant, we decided to go and enjoy. My husband, who is staying behiind while my mom and I go, is less enthused. But I promised Santa Lucia I would visit her tomb in Venice if mom got her eyesight back.(She has central retinal vein occusion) After one year and 4 injections, she did (against all odds). We started planning in April and thats that. What will be,will be.

What a lovely trip that sounds like! Definitely go and nothing bad will happen I am quite sure!

All over the news, it is being reported that the US government is set to announce travel warnings for Europe starting tomorrow due to a "credible but non specific threat"

We leave a week from today and will be in Barcelona for 3 days before embarking on Century for 12 nights.

NO-carry on with your life and cruise. I'm a New Yorker & had I not had a meeting uptown I would have been @ World Trade Center on 9-11. We can't let terror or terrorists rule our lives. Be cautious, yes, but travel and be a voyager not a timid Tom.

Carole

Archived