Advice and Tips from a Princess Representative

sghetrick

Pls don't feel that way. Some folks who post have a long history with cruising and will voice their skepticism. Questioning the content is not an attack on you. It's always useful to hear what the cruise lines' customer support staff are telling customers. Sometimes it's different each time the question is asked.

I can definitely understand skepticism, I too will question more when hearing the advice from the customer service agents. I do believe there is a better way to voice skepticism though, certain phrasing and symbols are just unnecessary. Toto2Kansas said it perfectly that when words are typed they can be misconstrued.

We bought the bucket of Bud and asked for a bottle opener so we could open them when we wanted. They would not give us one! Said that we had to go to the bar each time or have them all opened immediately.

We managed to get an opener from our cabin steward, not a good one (made for wine not beer bottles).

So I would suggest that you take a bottle opener yourself if you like a beer in your cabin.

You've got to be joking!!!!!!!!!!!

Geez louise...you do the "right" thing....try to buy the beer on the ship, and they STILL won't give you an opener? That is ridiculous.

BTW, we NEVER go ANYWHERE without a bottle opener.....and now I know why.

What a royal pain....

Dawn

We kindly request that you do not bring alcoholic beverages (other than wine and/or champagne) onboard for consumption.

Alcoholic beverages sourced from shore-side and brought onboard, no matter where sourced, will be collected at the gangway for safekeeping and will be delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the last day of the cruise.

A member of the ship's security staff will be at the gangway to assist passengers with the storage of their alcoholic beverage purchases. The only exception to the above rule, is that passengers are permitted to bring one bottle of wine and/or champagne per person purchased in a shoreside location onboard. If the wine and/or champagne is brought to the dining room for consumption, a $15.00 per bottle corkage fee will be applied to the passenger's shipboard account. We prefer that passengers bring wine/champagne no larger than 750ml, however, magnums are acceptable. Wine in a box is not encouraged.

I do find it interesting that last month I was in Dublin and bought a bottle of whiskey in port. Upon returning to the ship I pulled it out of my bag, xrayed it separately handed it to security with the belief that I would see that bottle again on the the last day of the cruise. She handed it back to me then and there and I took it to my cabin.

I have a question, I have a balcony booked for alaska, I can only upgrade for free if I get offered an upgrade, is that correct?

Yes that is correct. You can go to a higher category if you are willing to pay for it, but the FREE upgrades only happen if Princess initiates the upgrade. You have the option of marking your reservation as "no upgrade" meaning that you want to stay in that room. If "no upgrade" is not marked, then Princess can move you to a different room in a higher category. Passengers cannot request free upgrades. That is up to the "upgrade fairy".

Frankly anything with letters higher than what you are reserved for is technically an upgrade...however many upgrades are within the same category type (inside to inside; balcony to balcony...etc) and not necessarily to a different cabin type (balcony to mini suite, inside to balcony..etc) . I think that is the point of the discussion about a "meta" upgrade. Many people only want to be upgraded if it means going to the next cabin type and do not want a change within the same category type.

#4 is also incorrect as the wine/champage "tip". The cruise contract/answer book (always the best place to go) used to say 2 bottles per person to celebrate a special occasion. It now says the following:

ALCOHOL POLICY FROM ANSWER PLACE

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp

We kindly request that you do not bring alcoholic beverages (other than wine and/or champagne) onboard for consumption.

Alcoholic beverages sourced from shore-side and brought onboard, no matter where sourced, will be collected at the gangway for safekeeping and will be delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the last day of the cruise.

A member of the ship's security staff will be at the gangway to assist passengers with the storage of their alcoholic beverage purchases. The only exception to the above rule, is that passengers are permitted to bring one bottle of wine and/or champagne per person purchased in a shoreside location onboard. If the wine and/or champagne is brought to the dining room for consumption, a $15.00 per bottle corkage fee will be applied to the passenger's shipboard account. We prefer that passengers bring wine/champagne no larger than 750ml, however, magnums are acceptable. Wine in a box is not encouraged.

Passengers are also permitted to consume the wine and/or champagne in the privacy of their stateroom only, but it may not be brought into any public lounge for consumption.

Please note that any wines and champagnes supplied from the ship's stock to passengers would not be subject to a corkage fee.

Actually your cruise contract is the best place to go. Without taking the time to quote it you find it does not specify any number of bottles of wine or champagne. It simply states that you can bring wine and champagne aboard.

The question that formed inside my head while reading the first post is: What position does this person hold at Princess? It is a big company and as many of us have discovered from talking to both CSRs and personnel onboard the ships is that there is a lot of misinformation even for their employees.[/quo

Totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!

The Princess policy regarding bringing wine aboard really seems to vary between ships and even ports. In most cases, they really do not restrict reasonable amounts even though they do say one bottle per person. In fact, it interesting to read their own policy where they "discourage boxed wines" but never say it is prohibited (we have often brought boxed wines on Princess ships). We have actually seen a passenger send an entire case of good wine aboard a Princess cruise and he did it as checked luggage (we would never take this chance if the wine were valuable).

Hank

The Princess policy regarding bringing wine aboard really seems to vary between ships and even ports. In most cases, they really do not restrict reasonable amounts even though they do say one bottle per person. In fact, it interesting to read their own policy where they "discourage boxed wines" but never say it is prohibited (we have often brought boxed wines on Princess ships). We have actually seen a passenger send an entire case of good wine aboard a Princess cruise and he did it as checked luggage (we would never take this chance if the wine were valuable).

Hank

There was a California wine group on our cruise on the Island Princess that brought 60 cases onboard. ;)

There was a California wine group on our cruise on the Island Princess that brought 60 cases onboard. ;)

We also had a wine group on one of my Alaskan cruises that was led by a winery. They also brought tons of wine on the ship. I wondered what their arrangements were for corkage fees in the dining room as this group dined together

The Princess policy regarding bringing wine aboard really seems to vary between ships and even ports. In most cases, they really do not restrict reasonable amounts even though they do say one bottle per person.

Hank

Phew, because my idea of reasonable might not be someone else's... :o I always pack at least one or two bottles of wine too many - either I can make a friend or give it to the maitre d' but I never want to risk going short on wine!

That has been the case in the past, If you accept a free upgrade you will likely only get the next category up from your room i.e. BB to BA. Princess now allows you to state that you will accept an upgrade but only if it's a Meta upgrade. When I spoke to the 2nd agent he didn't know about this nor did his help desk however, when I asked to speak to a supervisor they informed him it was true and how to identify it in our reservation.

Please share with us "how do you identify ithe meta upgrade on your reservation?

You've got to be joking!!!!!!!!!!!

Geez louise...you do the "right" thing....try to buy the beer on the ship, and they STILL won't give you an opener? That is ridiculous.

BTW, we NEVER go ANYWHERE without a bottle opener.....and now I know why.

What a royal pain....

Dawn

Well there are people that would take the bottle opener back to their room and then the bartender wouldn't have any left. Maybe they should just start including a cheap bottle opener with each bucket of beer or sell a souvenir bottle opener at the bars.

Meta-upgrade or Mega-upgrade.......

I have heard from my agent that it is a checkbox that you check if you will decline upgrades or not. I vaguely remember someone posting awhile back that used to work for Princess that mentioned something similar to this. It isn't something agents or customer service people have access to.....

I have no clue if it is true but someone else posted about this awhile ago.

ZACC, I agree-the Passage Contract is a better source than the FAQ on the website and I

see that you are correct; the Passage Contract (which I suspect people cannot access without a booking) has different wording without reference to "one" and goes further stating that alcohol purchased "duty free" will be kept until the last day of the cruise.

Seems to infer that you can bring any amount of wine/champagne as long as it was not purchased duty free.

Next cruise is Nov 27th on Crown and I plan to take my wine suitcase with a full case of wine through the security scanner (folks, don't bother with the scathing replies about just buying it onboard-their wine selection even at Vines and on the premium list is pretty limited--- I spend over $1500 on board any cruise on "extras" and I have a thick skin).

We'll see what happens. I will bring a printed copy of the Passage Contract and will let DH go ahead of me or he will throw a fit about being stopped. He hates when I assume "rules don't apply to me"; it is an occupational hazard!

Sorry folks that cannot access it; the pdf will not allow a copy/paste.

Oh dear, we have fallen a long way if the skills needed to open a beer without an opener are no longer part of the rites of passage for young men these days.

In the pre-twist-off days a clever person could find at least a dozen objects within easy reach to open a beer. The easiest, of course, is another beer, and when you get to the last one you just pound a cap back onto a bottle and use that. Where there is a will, there's a way. :D

LOL Rob! So true. A real man can open a beer bottle without an opener. As for me, I once was stuck pre-wedding with a bunch of bridesmaids and bridezilla, some great wine, and no corkscrew. I managed with a screwdriver. ;) Where there is a will, there certainly IS a way! Aren't you on my roll call? You seem fun!

I did say you were only allowed to bring on one bottle of wine/champagne per person.

Is it one bottle per person, or two bottles per stateroom? I'm going solo and thought I could bring two bottles. :confused:

OP, thank you for posting. I didn't know any of your tips, and I think they did help me.

I have always refused upgrades because I like to be midship, but the possibility of this 'meta upgrade' exists, then next time I cruise I'll ask about it.

Now, does anyone know if you could bring water and/or sodas onboard (sprite, pepsi, gatorade, etc) ???

Meta-upgrade or Mega-upgrade.......

I have heard from my agent that it is a checkbox that you check if you will decline upgrades or not. I vaguely remember someone posting awhile back that used to work for Princess that mentioned something similar to this. It isn't something agents or customer service people have access to.....

I have no clue if it is true but someone else posted about this awhile ago.

I conformed yesterday with Princess that the Meta Upgrade does exist, but only within Princess. This is not something passengers or agents have access to (yet? ;)). However, I could not change our next cruise booking from "No Upgrade" to "Meta Upgrade Only". :mad:

OP, thank you for posting. I didn't know any of your tips, and I think they did help me.

I have always refused upgrades because I like to be midship, but the possibility of this 'meta upgrade' exists, then next time I cruise I'll ask about it.

Now, does anyone know if you could bring water and/or sodas onboard (sprite, pepsi, gatorade, etc) ???

Yes, you can bring as much soda, sports drinks and/or water as you want.

That sounds, from what you are saying, like the Meta Upgrade is only an internal Princess option presently? Must be why travel agents know nothing about it and we don't have that choice in the matter.

Maybe someday it will come about where we do get the choice, but it seems currently it's not an option for us.

But again, if this comes from Princess to a passenger via a CSR or supervisor, who knows?

As always, thanks for trying to get info about this, and it does make more sense than what the OP was told in the beginning. Talk about confusion............. :eek:

That sounds, from what you are saying, like the Meta Upgrade is only an internal Princess option presently? Must be why travel agents know nothing about it and we don't have that choice in the matter.

Though - if you book direct with Princess or online, you are just given the choice (would you like to be considered for an automatic upgrade is how they word it on the phone). Even the OP posted that many Princess agents don't know about this and you may have to ask for a supervisor......

While I believe it, I wonder how effective it really is. I know several who have had covered minisuites on the Grand class ships and have reported here that they selected to decline upgrades and Princess has called them and asked if they wanted a suite (not automatically upgrade but call)...

So it makes one wonder.

My fiance just got a missed call today from Princess asking if we wanted to upgrade from AD category (mini suite AFT emerald deck) to an AA category (mini suite MIDSHIP dolphin deck). They told him to call them back if we want the upgrade. He forgot to click the button to decline the "free upgrade". So i guess they're calling now instead of automatically upgrading?

Btw, anyone knows if the upgrade is better room or should we just stick to our original room at AD category? Currently booked on Ruby Princess in April 2011 in Room E723. They didnt tell us a specific room for the upgrade, just the category.

My fiance just got a missed call today from Princess asking if we wanted to upgrade from AD category (mini suite AFT emerald deck) to an AA category (mini suite MIDSHIP dolphin deck). They told him to call them back if we want the upgrade. He forgot to click the button to decline the "free upgrade". So i guess they're calling now instead of automatically upgrading?

Btw, anyone knows if the upgrade is better room or should we just stick to our original room at AD category? Currently booked on Ruby Princess in April 2011 in Room E723. They didnt tell us a specific room for the upgrade, just the category.

If you want a covered balcony, keep your cabin. If you don't care - the AAs are more midship. The cabins are the same regardless.

Yes that is correct. You can go to a higher category if you are willing to pay for it, but the FREE upgrades only happen if Princess initiates the upgrade. You have the option of marking your reservation as "no upgrade" meaning that you want to stay in that room. If "no upgrade" is not marked, then Princess can move you to a different room in a higher category. Passengers cannot request free upgrades. That is up to the "upgrade fairy".

Frankly anything with letters higher than what you are reserved for is technically an upgrade...however many upgrades are within the same category type (inside to inside; balcony to balcony...etc) and not necessarily to a different cabin type (balcony to mini suite, inside to balcony..etc) . I think that is the point of the discussion about a "meta" upgrade. Many people only want to be upgraded if it means going to the next cabin type and do not want a change within the same category type.

got it - thanks

Please share with us "how do you identify ithe meta upgrade on your reservation?

Well there are people that would take the bottle opener back to their room and then the bartender wouldn't have any left. Maybe they should just start including a cheap bottle opener with each bucket of beer or sell a souvenir bottle opener at the bars.

We were just at the Ritz Carlton in Orlando and got a bucket of beer by the pool. They had a small can opener (like the kind you would put on a key chain) attached to the bucket with a small chain. If I remember correctly, it was a Budweiser bucket and bottle opener. It was great to be able to open the beer when we wanted.

We were just at the Ritz Carlton in Orlando and got a bucket of beer by the pool. They had a small can opener (like the kind you would put on a key chain) attached to the bucket with a small chain. If I remember correctly, it was a Budweiser bucket and bottle opener. It was great to be able to open the beer when we wanted.

I would bet the cost of that bucket of beer could have been used for a down payment on a small car. :D

Oh dear, we have fallen a long way if the skills needed to open a beer without an opener are no longer part of the rites of passage for young men these days.

In the pre-twist-off days a clever person could find at least a dozen objects within easy reach to open a beer. The easiest, of course, is another beer, and when you get to the last one you just pound a cap back onto a bottle and use that. Where there is a will, there's a way. :D

Aso a belt buckle will work:D

Hugh:cool:

LOL Rob! So true. A real man can open a beer bottle without an opener. As for me, I once was stuck pre-wedding with a bunch of bridesmaids and bridezilla, some great wine, and no corkscrew. I managed with a screwdriver. ;) Where there is a will, there certainly IS a way! Aren't you on my roll call?

Bridezilla...ROFL.

Yes I am. But don't hold it against me if I say Wilkes-Bar instead of Wilkes-Barry. I can never seem to get that one right.

:)

Archived