New beverage cards just posted

Linda&Vern

Just go to the Holland america website and click on contact us - then you have the option for email and the different departments.

I used booking/shore excursions as I believe that is shipboard services :)

I'll give you some good advice. Call and cancel your order (you can't do it online). Go back online and re-order it and choose "Stateroom at Sea" as your delivery choice. That way you won't be charged sales tax, even if you want it on the first day. :)

Works this way for all beverage choices. :cool:

When would the card be delivered to the cabin if doing this?

:confused:

Princess or HAL, it doesn't matter, my dh would KILL me if I took a glass of wine and carried down the corridor and/or/stairs/ elevator to the MDR :eek:

It's not that much money to order wine in the dining room or use a card :rolleyes:

Just not an option for us, no matter what ship we are on.

So if you go to a bar for a before-dinner drink and you spend your time talking, then realize it's time for dinner and haven't finished your drink, you chug it or leave it behind because you (gasp!) can't be seen walking with a drink in your hand? :rolleyes:

Well, I can and do walk down hallways with a glass of wine in my hand. I hope you HAL snobs won't be too hard on me! ;)

I simply see no reason to spend more money than necessary. If I want to drink wine and HAL have graciously given me the choice to bring my own onboard, then I will drink my own wine, and that will include taking a glass with me into the dining room.

Watching my spending (in ALL categories) is what enables me to cruise as often as I do. I'm single. I have a mortgage. I was unemployed last year and nearly lost my house. I'm helping my DD pay for grad school and only paid off MY student loans about 18 months ago.

So every little bit I can avoid spending needlessly helps.

If others want to buy the cards or pay full price onboard, that's your prerogative. But some of us would rather not, thanks!

I ordered two of the soda cards as that is one heck of a good deal. I don't really see enough savings to get a cocktail card though. I used to buy a 10 cocktail card for 64.95 They now offer a $100 card for $90. If I stick to 10 cocktail it will cost about 75.00 regular price. Where's the savings?

So, I e mailed them to say that I thought it was rather underhanded of them to discontinue the wine cards and not honour those sold, that I had been planning on getting some, this was my first HA cruise and I was looking forward to it etc etc and I urged them to reconsider because they have many disgruntled pax and their reputation is suffering.

I now urge everyone who reads this to send an e mail also airing your dissatisfaction (that is if you agree with my sentiments of course). Let's see if lots of e mails will change anything. Unfortunately I could only get the address for customer service - I'd have liked to e mail the CEO. Anyone have his e mail?

I haven't read through all the pages of this post but I can tell you we are just off the O'dam and used the new beverage cards. They worked really well for us. We never used any of the old cards as we both drink call brand liquor as opposed to well brand.

The cards cost $90 for a $100 card or $45 for a $50 card. Then you just use that when you pay for your drinks. The price charged to the card is the price of your drinks plus the 15% service charge. The savings is built into the original purchase of the card.

A nice bonus was how much using the card reduced the length of the on board account at the end of the cruise. Rather than each drink purchase being listed separately, there was just the charge for the cards.

Also, you could not use the beverage cards during happy hour. This was not a problem for us as we avoid happy hour with a passion.

I don't know if they were honoring the old wine cards; I don't believe I saw anyone using one but I never heard the question asked.

I haven't read through all the pages of this post but I can tell you we are just off the O'dam and used the new beverage cards. They worked really well for us. We never used any of the old cards as we both drink call brand liquor as opposed to well brand.

The cards cost $90 for a $100 card or $45 for a $50 card. Then you just use that when you pay for your drinks. The price charged to the card is the price of your drinks plus the 15% service charge. The savings is built into the original purchase of the card.

A nice bonus was how much using the card reduced the length of the on board account at the end of the cruise. Rather than each drink purchase being listed separately, there was just the charge for the cards.

Also, you could not use the beverage cards during happy hour. This was not a problem for us as we avoid happy hour with a passion.

I don't know if they were honoring the old wine cards; I don't believe I saw anyone using one but I never heard the question asked.

Thanks for the information. It's nice to have some light shed on the situation.

I do have one question.... If you can't use the card during happy hour can you use it for the drink of the day? As this drink is already discounted.... just like happy hour drinks. :)

Thanks for the information. It's nice to have some light shed on the situation.

I do have one question.... If you can't use the card during happy hour can you use it for the drink of the day? As this drink is already discounted.... just like happy hour drinks. :)

I'm not positive because I did not actually see anyone do it. However, I noticed the drink of the day was not at a substantially reduced price. I think they were $5.75. My guess would be that you could use the card on those drinks.

I'm not positive because I did not actually see anyone do it. However, I noticed the drink of the day was not at a substantially reduced price. I think they were $5.75. My guess would be that you could use the card on those drinks.

Thanks for the quick reply!! :)

Just so that we all understand you correctly...Are you saying that on the O'Dam, they deducted the price of the drink plus 15% from your card...

Reason I'm asking again is, several posters seem to think that the $100 for $90 card included the service charge & others did not agree with that..We believe we will be charged the 15% service charge on the ship...

In other words, if I purchase a $5.00 drink, the actual charge that is deducted from my $100 card is $5.75....Is this a correct assumption?..

You mention that it is only for call brands..Does that mean if my DH wants a Beefeater Martini or a Black Russian, then he could not use the Beverage Card?

Also don't understand why it can not be used during Happy Hour? HAL will still get full price for the first drink..:confused:

Thank you..

Cheers...:)Betty..

Just so that we all understand you correctly...Are you saying that on the O'Dam, they deducted the price of the drink plus 15% from your card...

Yes, absolutely, the price of drinks plus the 15%. I just checked some of the receipts to confirm.

Reason I'm asking again is, several posters seem to think that the $100 for $90 card included the service charge & others did not agree with that..

The $100 for $90 is simply to give a 10% discount. No service charge included.

We believe we will be charged the 15% service charge on the ship...

In other words, if I purchase a $5.00 drink, the actual charge that is deducted from my $100 card is $5.75....Is this a correct assumption?..

Yes, I have the receipts to prove it.

You mention that it is only for call brands..Does that mean if my DH wants a Beefeater Martini or a Black Russian, then he could not use the Beverage Card?

No, it is for anything. I thought the OLD beverage cards were only for well brands. We both drink call brands and used many of the new beverage cards.

Also don't understand why it can not be used during Happy Hour? HAL will still get full price for the first drink..:confused:

I guess it is because they consider it "double dipping" on discounts - the 10% for the price of the card and the 2 for one on the HH drinks. Our bartender did tell us something interesting - they are trying to figure out a way to charge the 15% service charge during HH on the full price of both drinks. They don't like the reduced service charge on the HH prices - and this is from the Beverage Manager, not just the bartenders point of view.

Thank you..

Cheers...:)Betty..

Betty,

I tried to answer by question above. Let me know if you have further questions.

Linda

Betty,

I tried to answer by question above. Let me know if you have further questions.

Linda

Linda ..Thank you so much...You have answered my questions...I was just worried that it could not be used for the Call drinks..We'll be on the Noordam for 20 days with two other couples next Month...

I've ordered three wine cards & my Friend ordered a Beverage card so her DH could have a Beefeater Martini instead of wine..

I'm not sure if they will give me the wine cards, so will wait & see..If not will have to take the Beverage card instead...

My DH enjoys Black Russians & would be unhappy if he bought a beverage card & could not use it on them..

But thank you so much for taking the time to post here & hope you enjoyed your cruise..

Cheers.....:)Betty

We just discussed this during dinner. My husband tells me he heard a bartender tell a passenger that they would honor the old wine cards. We did not actually see anyone use one but "yes" is what the passengers were being told (actually it was "of course we do" (honor the old cards)).

We just discussed this during dinner. My husband tells me he heard a bartender tell a passenger that they would honor the old wine cards. We did not actually see anyone use one but "yes" is what the passengers were being told (actually it was "of course we do" (honor the old cards)).

Good news...thank you...Lets hope it's the same thing on the Noordam next month..

Cheers...:)Betty

I did this last year on our Ryndam cruise and I'm pretty sure we got them by dinner time the first night.

Sorry and I found the answer which is that the soda card can be delivered to your cabin anytime: there's a pull down itinerary of your sailing you can access online under "Indulgences" to specify which day you want the card delivered on. So as was suggested I could save the tax of $1.50 by having the card delivered day #1 but at sea, not in port in Fort Lauderdale.

Sorry and I found the answer which is that the soda card can be delivered to your cabin anytime: there's a pull down itinerary of your sailing you can access online under "Indulgences" to specify which day you want the card delivered on. So as was suggested I could save the tax of $1.50 by having the card delivered day #1 but at sea, not in port in Fort Lauderdale.

Yes, that was me who told you that. You asked when the card would actually be delivered, right?

Thanks for posting. We definitely won't be bothering with the new cards. :(

Hopefully our wine cards will be accepted next March.

Yes, that was me who told you that. You asked when the card would actually be delivered, right?

Yes, by dinner on day of sailing. I just wanted to add that you could also select other days of the sailing as I played around a little more online with my account and reserved the Indulgences.

:)

Archived