Internet Question

tbroido

We have a small problem. Our son is in Iraq (in Mosul with the 82nd Airborne) and Instant Messages us when he can to tell us he is all right. We cannot afford to be in our cabin all day and night with the internet on to catch him when he pops up. Is there someone on duty in the internet cafe who could have Yahoo Messenger (or AIM or MSN) open with our son as a listed "buddy" so that if he pops up they can let us know to scurry down there and communicate? Do you think they would charge us an arm and a leg for that consideration?

We had hoped he'd be home by now, but it looks like March 22nd may be the day. We can't wait.

Sea Island Lady is correct. You can check email and surf the internet from the ship, but there are no instant message capabilities.

I agree, leave an emergency contact. You could also have someone at home monitor for the IMs and email you whenever they have one pop up, which you can then see when you check your email from the ship.

TinaLee

I doubt it! i don't even think the internet cafe's have IM.

Best thing is to try to let your son know that you will be gone and leave the emergency number for the ship so that ...if needed ...you can be contacted.

IM is just software that can be downloaded quite easily. Whether those that run the interent on the ship will allow it on their computers is another story. IM is incredibly popular, 10's of millions of people use it everyday.

God bless your son and all those in uniform. If all that is needed is to download a piece of software so you can communicate with your son serving his country, I hope those in charge will not hesitate to help you out.

My DSIL used instant messenger last December on the Volendam to talk to his brother. He used Yahoo, and they sat up a time frame. Talk to the IM when you board the ship; the worst he can say is no. Enjoy your cruise. My BIL is also in Iraq with the Marines artilery unit, so bless them all and keep them safe.

Perhaps HAL's internet is set up differently than RCCL. ;)

heyabbott - Some cruiselines have the IM feature blocked so that it cannot be downloaded.

TinaLee - Your idea of having a home monitor is great! Even though she wouldn't be able to "chat" with her son, at least the OP could know that her son was OK that way. :)

I also don't think you'll be able to use IM while on board. It opens the capability to download files (not that you would) and they are very protective of their systems. Your son can certainly e-mail you, and you can check several times a day to see if he's left you a message.

Yahoo IM has a web based IM that you can use from any computer and don't have to download the software. It's located at http://*****.com/gpqu

I use it all the time at work, so that I can get IM's from my spouse who is also in Iraq. Hang in there. I know how difficult it is to have a loved one over there.

Yahoo IM has a web based IM that you can use from any computer and don't have to download the software. It's located at http://*****.com/gpqu

I use it all the time at work, so that I can get IM's from my spouse who is also in Iraq. Hang in there. I know how difficult it is to have a loved one over there.

With the sacrifices being made by your spouse and by tbroido's son, I'm sure those on the ship will do everything in their power to accomdate such a minimal request.

I know that everyone suggesting software to download is trying to be helpful, but the OP's need is to have the channel monitored 24X7. That's not going to happen on a ship unless the OP wants to spend 50 cents a minute, 50 minutes an hour, 24 hours a day (about $5000 for the week).

I would suspect that if your son can get to an IM client he can also get to an email client. It's not the same, but it sure beats worrying.

For those who think that IM capability is not present in the Cafe, during each of the cruises I have taken so far on the Zuiderdam I have been able to use both Yahoo and MSN Messenger due to the fact that it had already been downloaded and was sitting on the desktop ready to go. I didn't see AOL at any time but it could be there too for all I know.

Recommendation:

Next time you speak with him, set up some "comm windows", ie mutually agreed upon times to both be online. I'm guessing his schedule is less flexible than yours, but he may have some ideas of when he is more accessible than others. Use Zulu time (GMT) to coordinate. Be advised on Maasdam the internet shop was not open 24/7, so unless I had a wi-fi setup I was shut out other than "open" hours.

Give him a "hoo-ya" from an old Navy guy and I'm glad he'll be back soon.

Cheers and good luck

MarkB

I would suggest bringing your own WiFi laptop and try to set up a approx. time. When we were on the Ryndam we were in the Explorers Lounge one night and we kept hearing the distictive sound of Instant Messaging from AOL. There was a lady there using her laptop and typing away chatting to some one. I have AOL on my laptop and plan to bring on the Westerdam I am sure many of my friends will attempt to say "Hi" when they see me on line while on the ship.

Archived