We did something I never would have believed. Your time dining + shorts in the MDR

fig414

From FAQs on Carnival.com

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Wow, I didn't know that dress shorts(long) were on the approved list in the MDR (except for formal (elegant) nights).

Wow, I didn't know that dress shorts(long) were on the approved list in the MDR (except for formal (elegant) nights).

My question is what is a definition of a dress shorts / long shorts? As we all know that could cause quite a discrepancy.

I admit that I wear white after Labor Day.:eek: But in my defense, in Texas it still gets up over 100 degrees in September!!!

Of course, you did put away the straw hat and bring out the felt, didn't you?

I was taken to task once for wearing a straw too early once, end it was also reiterated about the long sleeve - felt / short sleeve - straw rule.

I am a maverick!

Oh, the header is wrong! Rats, can't edit that can you? It should be "White, Oh No!"

Sorry folks..............

There is no enforcement at all. You can wear whatever you like. I just got off the Elation and could not belive what I saw in the Main Dining room each night. Everything from butt shorts to tube tops on the women and tank tops with ball caps on the men.

Carnival has lost control of the dress code and doesn't seem to care.

I , too, am old school. And will probably fight it till the stares make us cave. We just got back from a cruise and on formal night we decked out. When we left our room our cabin steward was in the hall and literally gasped as we exited the room and expressed at how nice we looked. It was a nice feeling. The steward left me with the impression that he sees less and less of it. Heck the stewards are better dressed than most.

My question is what is a definition of a dress shorts / long shorts? As we all know that could cause quite a discrepancy.

Agree 100%! I suppose this is the problem, right? Probably why they don't turn away much at all (except perhaps, MAYBE the blatant obvious basketball shorts, or short-shorts).

There is no enforcement at all. You can wear whatever you like. I just got off the Elation and could not belive what I saw in the Main Dining room each night. Everything from butt shorts to tube tops on the women and tank tops with ball caps on the men.

Carnival has lost control of the dress code and doesn't seem to care.

I have to agree with you. I am also a traditionalist and read the OP's post with sadness as I can certainly relate. I've been cruising 12 years, still consider myself pretty young (under 40), but I can tell a big difference in the general atmosphere in the time I've been sailing. We have lowered our (dress) standards over the years because the general cruising population has gone MUCH more casual lately.

I just don't subscribe to all the "shouldn't affect my vacation" stuff. It has and it does and I deal with it. I do agree that Carnival has lost control of the situation. Yes, the majority of the passengers wanted and welcomed the change, but there are WAY too many that take it too far and yet Carnival does nothing about it as far as I have personally seen.

Of course, you did put away the straw hat and bring out the felt, didn't you?

I was taken to task once for wearing a straw too early once, end it was also reiterated about the long sleeve - felt / short sleeve - straw rule.

I am a maverick!

Oh, the header is wrong! Rats, can't edit that can you? It should be "White, Oh No!"

Sorry folks..............

Well, I don't wear a hat (messes up my hair lol) but I do hate to see men wearing felt in the heat of summer or straw in the dead of winter. Just old fashioned I guess... But I do love me some cowboys!!!! :p

Yep I caved also on our last Carnival cruise. Left the tux at home and only wore a collered shirt and nice slacks.

The formal night or elegant night or whatever they call it now is officially dead.:(

Agree fully; have watched over the years the slow demise of this old and archaic ritual. Pass on the shorts in the MDR only because it may be a bit chilly.

Cruising has come so far since my first one in 2000.

I have to say though, for me, I enjoy getting dressed for dinner....on most nights, I just think it is easy to put on a nice pair of capri's and nice blouse or top....nothing different than I would if I went to a casual restaurant on any given night!!!

I think its "to each their own", but there is something less than to be desired to see a woman come to dinner in a tube top and short shorts...and a man with tee shirt and jean shorts...pls...would you go out for dinner like that when you are home?

The added dimension is WANTING to look good....I understand the "vacation" aspect, but I cant imagine that any woman or man wouldn't want to look their best!!

Okay, and yes....Im 53 and not considered "old", but do think that there is some value in appearance... :)

Okay...I want to make sure I understand. We are cruising for the first time on Monday. (Imagination from Miami to Key West and Cozumel). Does anyone know if there is a "formal" night? Is it every night? Are people wearing shorts at "formal" night? Like I said, we are first timers and DH has no desire to wear anything more formal than khaki's. Plus, we are traveling with our children and my 8yo son is following in dad's footsteps. Will be a battle to get nice shorts on him instead of basketball shorts! I really don't want to pack too much and don't want to plan for a formal night if we don't need to. I want to eat in the MDR, just not dress up too much! Please help! :)

My 3 boys(5,10 &15) will be going to dinner in dockers and a polo every night, except the 2 formal night where they will where a suit and tie!! No exceptions! (They have polo shirts at walmart for as low as $8) They don't like it they don't cruise!! The thing is I have never given them a choice and now they don't ever ask different! Like the op I am raising them to be respectful gentlemen!

About the hat a couple years ago we went to denny's my son saw one of his buddies there with his parents, the kid had a hat on at the table, my son quietly told him don't disrespect your parents take ur hat off! I was very proud! oh and he is the middle linebacker on his school football team so he's not a nerd either. For those of you who will think otherwise! Its not hard to teach them what's right!

You might have missed something: from his post as to Anytime dining "We really did like it."

I don't believe he was whining about "caving in" to wearing shorts but just lamenting on how cruises have changed. That's OK and I didn't take his post as a negative, just an observation. I suppose some felt the same back when people started wearing Dockers and golf shirts in lieu of suits and tuxes :).

Thanks so much. I was lamenting and not whining. I also know "nobody made me wear shorts". I really wish CCL would enforce the baseball cap thing. Two wrongs don't make that acceptable to me. That's just the way I feel.

Next, someone will post that they wore white after Labor Day.

We've come such a long way in our accomplishments!

Oh oh!!! That would be me! Miracle Oct 26th here I come, White Linen pants are packed and ready to go!!!!

Don't wear white after labor day does still apply..... just not in the Carib. :)

Like the op I am raising them to be respectful gentlemen!

About the hat a couple years ago we went to denny's my son saw one of his buddies there with his parents, the kid had a hat on at the table, my son quietly told him don't disrespect your parents take ur hat off! I was very proud! oh and he is the middle linebacker on his school football team so he's not a nerd either. For those of you who will think otherwise! Its not hard to teach them what's right!

I agree. We plan to dress appropriately for our first cruise. I think that the dress code should be enforced - it enhances the experience for everyone.

As for the hat - always comes off when sitting at a table, and ALWAYS when entering someone else's home. That's how I was raised. When my hat goes on my head, the dogs all know it's time to go outside.

This last weekend there was a poll on the subject. It must have been deleted as I couldn't find it to see what the end results were. I guess some folks got their feelings hurt. The thread disappeared after someone posted the views of Emily Post. Expert opinions can be so divisive!

Oh, and I always say Thank You when someone buys me a beer. I hope to get to work on my politeness this weekend. Any takers to help me out? None?

Ok. I will likely get lectured for this question but just wondering.... Can you still sneak a bottle of liquor into your stateroom?

Last time I was on Carnival I just put it in my Checked Luggage and it was fine. It was a plastic bottle so it didn't break. I have notice on a recent NCL cruise they actually scanned the checked luggage for this and they seemed really good at catching it. Instead of delivering the luggage to your room, they just left you a note that you had to go to the luggage deck to claim your bag. Once there they had you open your bag so they could removed the violating item, usually a bottle of liquor.

Does Carnival do this now? I know they did not use to, but was wondering if they do now.

I drink plenty from the bars, but definately enjoy the time and money savings of having a pre drink availible in the room.

Finally, less contraversail...... Do they allow you to bring a bottle of coke on board? Coke is my coffee. I'd like to have my Coke Cola in the morning. FYI morning for me on a cruise is usually 11am, so its really not that early:)

I'm slightly disgusted but the masses have won. I never thought we would cave but we did. .

Hear You! We are going to cave in too! :o

For the first time EVER on any cruise line ... my DH will not be taking his tux. Actually, he won't be taking a tie either. The dress now is what it is on Carnival ... might as well go with the flow.

Ok. I will likely get lectured for this question but just wondering.... Can you still sneak a bottle of liquor into your stateroom?

Last time I was on Carnival I just put it in my Checked Luggage and it was fine. It was a plastic bottle so it didn't break. I have notice on a recent NCL cruise they actually scanned the checked luggage for this and they seemed really good at catching it. Instead of delivering the luggage to your room, they just left you a note that you had to go to the luggage deck to claim your bag. Once there they had you open your bag so they could removed the violating item, usually a bottle of liquor.

Does Carnival do this now? I know they did not use to, but was wondering if they do now.

I drink plenty from the bars, but definately enjoy the time and money savings of having a pre drink availible in the room.

Finally, less contraversail...... Do they allow you to bring a bottle of coke on board? Coke is my coffee. I'd like to have my Coke Cola in the morning. FYI morning for me on a cruise is usually 11am, so its really not that early:)

Nothing like changing the subject. There are always plenty of threads going on this subject. Everyone knows that no one from CC smuggles booze on board Carnival ships.

Maybe, for the folks who are bemoaning the change in attire they're noticing in the MDR, it's time to try another line, if that sort of thing is so important to you. I noticed on both our Celebrity and Holland America cruises that people tended to be much better dressed than on any of our Carnival cruises. I imagine we'll notice the same thing when we sail with Princess next May.

Not trying to stir things up -- we love our Carnival cruises -- but there are other lines where people do take the dress code a bit more seriously and the lines do a better job of enforcing it.

Happy cruising!

Welcome to the dark side. The marks that you have come over are shorts, untucked polo shirt, and sneakers. That sounds like my dress every night but elegant night. (I would wear shorts with my shirt and tie if wifey would allow.)

So, welcome and now that we have you, you can never go back.

LOL

On the subject of hats I will show my age but I will always wear my hat inside unless my wife smacks me. Maybe it is just a west coast thing. Heck polo's are dressy out here. Ties are usually only worn by lawyers.

So, have fun and wear whatever is fun to you. Or as in my case wear whatever your wife tells you to.

Archived