Kindle 3G use on Canada/NE cruise

DaveOKC

I have been reading comments on using the new Kindle 3G version to access email and the Internet while on cruises (for free). Has anyone tried this recently on the Canada/New England cruises? I am particularly interested in the access while on the Canadian portion of the cruise.

DaveOKC

There is no free internet on the ships. You must connect through ship's satellite and that is never free.

You can certainly find free internet ashore. In Halifax, there is a coffee shop near where the ship docks and if you buy coffee/something you can connect for free. Free Internet in the terminals in Sydney, Charlottetown and Quebec City.

S7S - the Kindle 3G version offers free Internet/3G access thoughout the US and others have reported using it on ships in the US ports, but I was wondering about the access (AT&T I think) in Canadian ports with it.

Surely someone on the various Canada/NE cruises has treid this.

DaveOKC

There is no free internet on the ships. You must connect through ship's satellite and that is never free.

You can certainly find free internet ashore. In Halifax, there is a coffee shop near where the ship docks and if you buy coffee/something you can connect for free. Free Internet in the terminals in Sydney, Charlottetown and Quebec City.

You can on the Kindle. Now you wouldn't want to write long emails or do a lot of internet searching, it would just be too cumbersome. But you can do it.

You can on the Kindle. Now you wouldn't want to write long emails or do a lot of internet searching, it would just be too cumbersome. But you can do it.

The iPhone has free wireless, also, but I don't think you can use it aboard ships because there is no wireless available. "Free wireless" is only usable where wireless is available. As S7S noted, ships' internet is by satellite.

We were recently on the Eurodam for the last Canada/New England cruise of the season. Before leaving home, we purchased a month of 3G connection thru At&T for our IPADS. We were not able to use the 3G while in Canada. However, one we got to the U.S. we were able to use the 3G on shore, and on the ship, when the ship was docked. We could not use the 3G while at sea. Don't know if all 3G plans work alike. But between the WIFI hotspots that we found while on land (most cruise terminals have it), we were able to still check our emails, and not have to purchase the internet access from the ship. Hope this helps.

Does the Kindle have WIFI capability?

The Kindle has 3G access that is free for life. It is part of the AT&T network. You can access the Internet from it (for free) wherever you can get AT&T service. The problem I am concerned about is the Canadian border towns as we will be in them for about 8-9 days (of the 13) during our cruise.

And yes, the newest and largest Kindle has WiFi as well as 3G access.

DaveOKC

The Kindle has 3G access that is free for life. It is part of the AT&T network. You can access the Internet from it (for free) wherever you can get AT&T service. The problem I am concerned about is the Canadian border towns as we will be in them for about 8-9 days (of the 13) during our cruise.

DaveOKC

I get what you are saying. I can't answer it directly, as I haven't been back to Canada since I got the later generation kindle. I will say, with my first Kindle THE MINUTE I crossed the border into Canada, I didn't have service. I couldn't figure out how that could be since it's satellite, but it was true.

All that being said, now that there are Kindles in Canada, and the international plan, it may/should be better. I'd call Amazon. I think it's only about $5 to add the international for a week. If we can just keep this thread alive another day, maybe someone with direct knowledge will answer. I'd like to know the answer myself! It may be true on Mexican cruises as well. I've been wondering what to expect in the Caribbean...

3G access on a ship at sea on a Kindle, smart phone, or whatever, as well as wifi, must go thru the ships satellite service which is slow and costly as well. If you are in a port, you are connecting to a landbased 3G or wifi connection which may be free. You may have free service in the US for 3G, but once in Canada, you will probably be assessed a roaming charge if you do get service. Wifi can be free in US or Canada or around the world.

3G access on a ship at sea on a Kindle, smart phone, or whatever, as well as wifi, must go thru the ships satellite service which is slow and costly as well. If you are in a port, you are connecting to a landbased 3G or wifi connection which may be free. You may have free service in the US for 3G, but once in Canada, you will probably be assessed a roaming charge if you do get service. Wifi can be free in US or Canada or around the world.

Let's say I use my Kindle 3G while on the ship. Who is going to charge me?

I have the same concerns. Although it seems too good to be true, many here keep saying 3G access is free when you buy a Kindle, even at sea. Just wish someone could answer the question once & for all. The question plain & simple:

Is 3G access through a Kindle free & if so, in what countries & where at sea (or on what fleets)?

If the service for the Kindle is provided by AT&T, the ship will bill the AT&T account for the satellite time. If AT&T does not bill you in return, then I guess it is free. If so, it is certainly a good deal. Something that i have not heard of before this.

Perhaps AT&T didn't anticipate much use of the Kindle this way. That they could absorb the relatively small use. If a lot of people catch on to this, they may reconsider the offer.

Better enjoy it while you can!

I downloaded books on our last cruise while in ports in England, Iceland and Norway. There wasn't any additional charge beyond that for the books. Some of the books were free ones. They still had no charge. We did use the Kindle while in England to e-mail home. No charge. Sorry, I didn't try to download books or e-mail while at sea.

I have seen a map on the Kindle site showing the coverage areas. IIRC, it was basically anywhere in the world we'd want to cruise - which is pretty much all of it.

Let's say I use my Kindle 3G while on the ship. Who is going to charge me?

If you use your Kindle to read and not connect, nobody will charge you. If you use the 3G or wireless function and the only connectivity is with the ships system, the ship will charge you.

The Kindle contract reads like this:

Use of Wireless Connectivity. Your Kindle uses wireless connectivity to allow you to shop for and download Digital Content from the Kindle Store. In general, we do not charge you for this use of wireless connectivity. Your Kindle may use wireless connectivity to make other services available to you for which we may charge you a fee, such as personal file download and subscriptions when you are located in another country. The fees and terms for such services are located in the Kindle Store and may change from time to time. If your Kindle functions with third party services, such as WI-FI access points, a third party may charge you fees for the use of those services.

Availability. If your Kindle is located in an area in which it cannot maintain wireless connectivity, you may not be able to use some or all of the Service. We are not responsible for the unavailability of wireless connectivity for your Kindle or any corresponding loss of Service. Events beyond our reasonable control (such as changes in service or terms by wireless carriers) may impact the terms or circumstances under which we provide you wireless connectivity and may result in a change to these terms or a temporary or permanent modification or loss of wireless connectivity for your Kindle.

If you use your Kindle to read and not connect, nobody will charge you. If you use the 3G or wireless function and the only connectivity is with the ships system, the ship will charge you.

The Kindle contract reads like this:

Use of Wireless Connectivity. Your Kindle uses wireless connectivity to allow you to shop for and download Digital Content from the Kindle Store. In general, we do not charge you for this use of wireless connectivity. Your Kindle may use wireless connectivity to make other services available to you for which we may charge you a fee, such as personal file download and subscriptions when you are located in another country. The fees and terms for such services are located in the Kindle Store and may change from time to time. If your Kindle functions with third party services, such as WI-FI access points, a third party may charge you fees for the use of those services.

Availability. If your Kindle is located in an area in which it cannot maintain wireless connectivity, you may not be able to use some or all of the Service. We are not responsible for the unavailability of wireless connectivity for your Kindle or any corresponding loss of Service. Events beyond our reasonable control (such as changes in service or terms by wireless carriers) may impact the terms or circumstances under which we provide you wireless connectivity and may result in a change to these terms or a temporary or permanent modification or loss of wireless connectivity for your Kindle.

Doesn't this answer the question? There is no wireless connectivity at sea,is there? Only satellite. If you are on a port-intensive cruise or not interested in checking your e-mail daily, the free-wireless is great to use when you are in port. As for fees for international calls, AT&T (the provider for the iPhone, warns against leaving Roaming on because there are such charges, and I don't know if it matters that AT&T is almost everywhere. Anyone know?

The OP is right to be suspicious. AT&T doesn't have its own network in Canada; you can see that Canada is a complete blank on their coverage map here . As a Canadian, I bought the current version of the Kindle without 3G because, hey, I could only use it free in the US.

If you're using the Kindle as an e-reader, that shouldn't be much of a hardship. If you're browsing the web with it, the cheapest alternative would be to look for a spot with free wifi.

DaveOKC

Whispernet will work for access to the Kindle store and personal document delivery virtually anywhere. We have downloaded free books via 3G from Amazon in the middle of the Tasman Sea, without cost. However, accessing other than Amazon content via HTTP protocol or gaining IMAP or POP3 access via 3G generally won't work. We attempted this too and found we simply received an "access not available" message with each attempt.

Archived