Splendor Nov. 28th cruise status..??

Bmaintz

I would like to start a thread just on the Splendor Nov. 28, 2010 cruise...

We are on this cruise & on hold to see if the cruise will be canceled or will sail as planned...

Please.... just those on the Nov. 28th cruise who may have some useful information that will help my family & others on the same cruise...

Many Thanks

Thanks Don,

Found a link on a news page that says one of the diesel engines had a split crankcase.... That's a big repair...

Gerry Cahill, chief executive of Carnival Corp.'s Carnival Cruise Lines, said the crankcase on one of six diesel generators "split," causing the fire. He said he doubted other ships in the Miami-based company's fleet were at risk.

I also just noticed on carnival.com that there are no dates available for sailing till December 5. I'm assuming this to mean that the next few weeks have been canceled :(

I was just noticing the same thing, two days ago the 28th was still available for booking, I sure hope they release information soon so we will know what we need to do for a back up plan. We already prepaid for our hotel for a few days prior to sailing.

I also just noticed on carnival.com that there are no dates available for sailing till December 5. I'm assuming this to mean that the next few weeks have been canceled :(

You shouldn't asume that. Last night I checked and there were only a couple cabins left for our sailing. It could be sold out. Let's hope!

I couldn't contain myself...Called Carnival and they said ours is a go. They did some rooms to people on the 14th sailing. So far so good!

I truly hope that they are right but at this point I'm not holding my breath or willing to bet money on it (not even a dollar.) They won't know anything until they get in there and see what needs to be replaced, etc. For now, they have to say we are a go because they don't know anything different. I am still standing by, waiting for an "official decision" but not packing my bags just yet.

There has been No notification of anything official from Carnival for the upcoming sailings with the exception of the 14th. I would not make any assumptions right now of any future sailings.

My guess is they will not be making any annoucements till at least tomorrow maybe even Monday.

Just because it hasnt been cancelled ... yet .. doesnt mean it wouldnt be.

Geez...thanks sunshine! We all know it could be cancelled, but I wanted to thank you for your cheerful attitude. It really helps us alot!:D:p:rolleyes::D

My friend back east heard this on her news last night.

"Yeppers they said next week`s cruise is cancelled, but the Thanksgiving cruise would go as scheduled..."

Since the ship has 6 generators, all of them arent nessarly running at same time. 2-3 can easly take the load. The problem is the wiring that got damaged that links the generators to the switchboards that distrubute the electrical load. Once the wiring is repaired, the ship can be put back in service untill a scheduled drydock. Also, im sure there are other parts of the space that was damaged in vacinity of generator.

If they decide to repair the generator now, They would have to drydock to cut a hole in side of ship so the generator can be removed through the side and another installed. That alone would take several weeks.

Jim Berra, executive VP and director of marketing, said that the Splendor would be back in Long Beach for the November 21 voyage. I verified this statement with a director level friend of mine in Miami.

Now, that doesn't mean FOR SURE that she will sail on the 21st but it's a good sign...

:)

Thanks for the info. Im do to sale Nov. 28th. I've been on edge about the possibility of a canceled cruise.

I had a quick question about Carnival Splendor, which may be the same as other Carnival ships regarding the Lido Buffet. What times do the Lido Buffet open and close?

Is it like the mindjammer on RC? Or are there times that the Buffet actually closes intermittently? This is my first time cruising on Carnival.

*edit Windjammer

Thanks for the info. Im do to sale Nov. 28th. I've been on edge about the possibility of a canceled cruise.

I had a quick question about Carnival Splendor, which may be the same as other Carnival ships regarding the Lido Buffet. What times do the Lido Buffet open and close?

Is it like the mindjammer on RC? Or are there times that the Buffet actually closes intermittently? This is my first time cruising on Carnival.

*edit Windjammer

I haven't been on Splendor but I think most Carnival ships keep same times for meals

Lido Buffet is technically open 24 hours (as in you can go there and get coffee/water/iced tea/pizza or just sit and chill 24/7)

The actual buffet meals are:

Breakfast - 730a-1030a

Lunch - 12p-230p

Dinner 6p-930p

Late night Snacks -(Burgers, Dogs, fries) 1130p-130a

You also have a Deli located in the buffet area that's open 12p-11p

And the Lido Grill (out near the pools)serves burgers, dogs, fries, chicken tenders from 12p-6p

Jim Berra, executive VP and director of marketing, said that the Splendor would be back in Long Beach for the November 21 voyage. I verified this statement with a director level friend of mine in Miami.

Now, that doesn't mean FOR SURE that she will sail on the 21st but it's a good sign...

Hey Mach, does Carnival have any idea of how they are going to move Splendor up to Long Beach from San Diego? Maybe a quick 1-day repositioning cruise? Sign me up!!!

Hey Mach, does Carnival have any idea of how they are going to move Splendor up to Long Beach from San Diego? Maybe a quick 1-day repositioning cruise? Sign me up!!!

They intend to bring the crew back on board Sunday and will, eventually, just sail her north to Long Beach...

Are you guys all aware of the roll call section? It's a place where you can start threads related to a single sailing. Maybe that would be the best place to look for this information?

This is not the roll call. It is a thread trying to determine when the Splendor will sail again. They had an electrical fire earlier this week and had to be towed back to port by a tug boat.

Since the ship has 6 generators, all of them arent nessarly running at same time. 2-3 can easly take the load. The problem is the wiring that got damaged that links the generators to the switchboards that distrubute the electrical load. Once the wiring is repaired, the ship can be put back in service untill a scheduled drydock. Also, im sure there are other parts of the space that was damaged in vacinity of generator.

If they decide to repair the generator now, They would have to drydock to cut a hole in side of ship so the generator can be removed through the side and another installed. That alone would take several weeks.

I think you're right. Sounds like a breaker did not open when it should have and allowed the cables to burn. I am assuming they were the medium voltage cables to generate that much smoke. They should be able to isolate that generator. I am assuming they had enough cable seperation for the others, but who knows. Also, they may have some other clean up to do if they used fire extinguishers. The dry chemical kind can be kind of corrosive. If they discharged the CO2 system, they will have to recharge it (at least it wasn't halon which is hard to get).

Did you ever see the show on one of the discovery/learning channels the other year about "extreme fixes"? They showed the replacement of a generator on the Radiance of the Seas. It only took a few weeks, but it was really cool.

Archived