Is Carnival Splendor Compensation Fair?

Is Carnival's Splendor Cancellation Offer Fair?  

1,503 members have voted

1. 1. Is Carnival's Splendor Cancellation Offer Fair?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other -- will post opinion below

Question for Host Mach....We were booked on the Splendor cruise for Dec. 5th. Is there anyway you could talk to Mr. Heald for us? It sounds great that Carnival is giving us our money back and a 25% discount on a future booked cruise. We are wanting to book the Splendor again but the prices are way higher than what we paid. We booked our cruise last Feb using Early Saver rates. I have my first balcony, an 8C balcony. I'm not asking for anything free. All I want is to be moved to another sailing at the same rate I paid. What good is a 25% discount when Carnival is charging approximately 50% more for future sailings? I'm really sorry but I expected to receive what I paid for. I repeat, I do not want anything for free. I just want what I purchased. I'm so upset. Thanks so much for any help you can give us. :(

Question for Host Mach....We were booked on the Splendor cruise for Dec. 5th. Is there anyway you could talk to Mr. Heald for us? It sounds great that Carnival is giving us our money back and a 25% discount on a future booked cruise. We are wanting to book the Splendor again but the prices are way higher than what we paid. We booked our cruise last Feb using Early Saver rates. I have my first balcony, an 8C balcony. I'm not asking for anything free. All I want is to be moved to another sailing at the same rate I paid. What good is a 25% discount when Carnival is charging approximately 50% more for future sailings? I'm really sorry but I expected to receive what I paid for. I repeat, I do not want anything for free. I just want what I purchased. I'm so upset. Thanks so much for any help you can give us. :(

John has stated that if you need help you can post a message for him on his facebook. Maybe you can get an answer there. Good Luck!!

As I've said several times in the very recent past, the price bumps are a response to booking pressure. The computers determine prices... not people.

My best suggestion is that you wait just a while for the prices to stabilize and drop. I think you'll be fine.

:)

Unfortunately everyone is in your situation and Carnival has told others that they won't adjust the current prices. You could wait 6 months or so and check again and maybe the prices will go down, or wait until enough people complain and Carnival agrees to rebook guests at the fares they booked on.

I am reading this same story over and over again. The problem is that they raised all of their rates this morniing at the same time that they gave out the credits.

I looked at the rates for a balcony on the 4/1/11 cruise on the Spirit (we booked 6 months ago but I check rates every morning). The rate this morning was at 839pp. After I had read the announcement I checked the rates and it was at 1089pp. It really looks like they changed the rates only to help recover the 25% discount. A very shameful practice.

I hope you are able to find something to meet your vacation needs. I have read from some that Holland America has some deals still with 3rd and 4th free.

Good luck.

As I've said several times in the very recent past, the price bumps are a response to booking pressure. The computers determine prices... not people.

My best suggestion is that you wait just a while for the prices to stabilize and drop. I think you'll be fine.

I mentioned this earlier, but I thought it might be worth repeating. I wonder if the Mariner pulling out of LA is also affecting Splendor prices? There's just not a lot of capacity for 7-day Mexican Riviera cruises next year. The cancelled voyages wouldn't have had the same effect if the accident had happened on a ship sailing out of Florida. There are lots of options down there, whereas if you want to cruise from California your choices are limited.

Unfortunately everyone is in your situation and Carnival has told others that they won't adjust the current prices. You could wait 6 months or so and check again and maybe the prices will go down, or wait until enough people complain and Carnival agrees to rebook guests at the fares they booked on.

Once again, the pricing is computer generated due to booking pressure.

When the huge bump of bookings falls off so will the pricing... it's that simple.

I know it's not much solace for those with cruises three weeks from now but it's the facts...

Given the circumstances, the compensation is fair. We were booked on the Nov 28th cruise, but we are local so we don't have the complications of air fare reimbursement. The 25% discount, however, is meaningless right now, as the other Carnival ships and their competitors have increased the fares dramatically since the Splendor incident, and 25% doesn't even get you close to the original cost. We're probably going to wait until the Splendor is back in the water and prices settle down.

Carnival made a mistake here. Plain and simple. I know that you might think it is good to act like their spokesperson to put everything in a positive spin but Carnival made a mistake here.

What they should have done.....

Frozen rates and locked all bookings prior to the announcment this morning. Then worked diligently over the next week to 10 days to accomodate those +24,000 guests whom they had just displaced. After that they could have unlocked the bookings for anyone else.

This incident was out of their control. I think they are being more than fair. If I had a cruise booked with them for sometime in the next few months I think I would have been looking at different options the day after this happened. If you cancelled your cruise at this late date and did not have cruise insurance you would get nothing back. S**T happens. ;)Try to make the best of it.

Our NYE cruise was cancelled and when I tried to switch to the Spirit, the price had gone up almost 40%!! Carnival would not match the same price for the cruise even though the Spirit was less money before the fire. So, I'll take my money back and we rebooked our three rooms on NCL Star for the same price as the Splendor. :D

I wish Carnival had "grandfathered" in our fare, but they wouldn't budge. Even told them to keep the 25% off the next cruise. :(

Carnival made a mistake here. Plain and simple. I know that you might think it is good to act like their spokesperson to put everything in a positive spin but Carnival made a mistake here.

Frozen rates and locked all bookings prior to the announcment this morning. Then worked diligently over the next week to 10 days to accomodate those +24,000 guests whom they had just displaced. After that they could have unlocked the bookings for anyone else.

Something like that makes sense to me, or at least allow those whose cruises were cancelled to re-book at a rate comparable to what they had already paid. Or perhaps the rate that it was yesterday before the announcement. :eek: The 'computer-driven' huge rise in prices today is getting old.

That's your opinion and thank you for it.

However, I'm not a spokesperson for Carnival and I certainly don't support everything they do. I, just like you, have an opinion and, despite the fact that I'm a host here, I am free to express it.

What has any other cruise line done in the same situation. I submit to you that Carnival has gone above and beyond to make the passengers whole in this circumstance...

It would be fair if they would honor the price for our rooms that we originally booked at. We are getting married on board on the 12/19. We were able to change from the Splendor to the Spirit. But it is costing us $1400.00 more for the 7 rooms and we aren't getting the Spa Balacony that my husband to be and I booked for ourselves. What 25% discount? We don't have the luxury of holding off and booking this trip at a different time. We have 40 guests joining us on board for the wedding/reception but not sailing. Some are flying in and now have to change from Long Beach to San Diego. Is Carnival going to refund their airfare even though they aren't sailing?

In addition to the cruising, we've also put out money to Carnival for the wedding/reception. I'm not a happy bride to be.

I am reading this same story over and over again. The problem is that they raised all of their rates this morniing at the same time that they gave out the credits.

I looked at the rates for a balcony on the 4/1/11 cruise on the Spirit (we booked 6 months ago but I check rates every morning). The rate this morning was at 839pp. After I had read the announcement I checked the rates and it was at 1089pp. It really looks like they changed the rates only to help recover the 25% discount. A very shameful practice.

I hope you are able to find something to meet your vacation needs. I have read from some that Holland America has some deals still with 3rd and 4th free.

Good luck.

How can anyone justify that this is a "computer" issue? The bottom line is...yes, Carnival offerred a 25% off discount, but they raised their prices the SAME day! I am sorry, I'm not even booking a cruise right now, but this is a poor business strategy. I agree with the poster that said, just give me a cruise for the same cabin at the price I paid. I think they should get 25% off the price they paid...for that cabin.

The easy way to solve the problem is to book with a different line!

Once again, the pricing is computer generated due to booking pressure.

When the huge bump of bookings falls off so will the pricing... it's that simple.

I know it's not much solace for those with cruises three weeks from now but it's the facts...

I understand and I wasn't suggesting they lower the prices for EVERYONE. What I said was that those bumped should be able to rebook at their original rate on a new cruise, assuming they book the same room level they originally booked on. Carnival should not expect those that they bumped to pay more for the same thing.

I understand and I wasn't suggesting they lower the prices for EVERYONE. What I said was that those bumped should be able to rebook at their original rate on a new cruise, assuming they book the same room level they originally booked on. Carnival should not expect those that they bumped to pay more for the same thing.

We are paying more for a lesser room! The Spirit doesn't have a spa balcony. And they bumped our on board wedding ...not just our cruise!

We booked the Dec. 5 2010 on Splendor last Jan. for $ 529.00 Balcony. Cant come close to that now. So we kinda get screwed even with 25% off. We rebooked on Dream, same week, and still had to come up with $68 more. We havent even called the airlines yet, had a deal there too, but will be more now at this late date. Not real happy at this point.

And the computers are programmed by...

Sorry Mach, but saying it's the computer's fault doesn't make it right.

I haven't had time to go through all this, but here's my question anyway.

Is the 25% discount applied to the full cruise cost, or the full cruise cost plus port charges/taxes?

Big difference you know!

The way it works is you book your cruise, pay your deposit and then the 25% discount is applied by using a reimbursement form that Carnival provides a link to.

So, the discount is in the ENTIRE price of the cruise.

Please remember these folks aren't out an money. They're getting the money from the original cruise back plus any airfare that they've paid.

I have to give props to Carnival. From what I've read they are trying to make the best of a very unfortunate situation.

Also - as an aside, maybe to those affected by the cancellations, I would not dismiss the Splendor as a great choice when it comes to rebooking. I was on the Splendor in April, and I must say the crew I encountered was awesome. I'm sure many of those were on the ship last week as well, and I can totally picture them in my mind's eye - working their butts off to try and keep the passengers as comfortable as possible when things went to you know what.

Archived