Is Carnival Splendor Compensation Fair?

Is Carnival's Splendor Cancellation Offer Fair?  

1,503 members have voted

1. 1. Is Carnival's Splendor Cancellation Offer Fair?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other -- will post opinion below

We aren't on the Splendor at all and I do think the compensation package is fair; however, I have sympathy with those who need replacement air.

Refunding airfare will not always work (as it was pointed out by previous posters). It costs us $200 pp to fly to Califonia, but arond $600 pp to fly to miami. Sure the change fees would be paid, but we'd have to pony up about $300 pp MORE to take a vacation at that time. :( I'm glad we aren't in that circumstance and feel sympathy for those that are. Hope everyone can find replacement vacations asap!

I think it is more than fair. I know of no other travel industry that offers any type of compensation for a cancellation due to maintenance issues (or any other issues for that matter). We've experienced a flight cancellation due to a broken windscreen and certainly didn't receive any discount for that or for a future flight.

I am curious....why are the Cruise Critic editors so critical of Carnival (chintzy?...stingy?)? As a cruise website for ALL cruise lines don't you think you should be more impartial? :rolleyes: IMO this poll and the opinion expressed by the editor is just another example of that attitude.

I have voted...and vented....:cool:

We aren't on the Splendor at all and I do think the compensation package is fair; however, I have sympathy with those who need replacement air.

Refunding airfare will not always work (as it was pointed out by previous posters). It costs us $200 pp to fly to Califonia, but arond $600 pp to fly to miami. Sure the change fees would be paid, but we'd have to pony up about $300 pp MORE to take a vacation at that time. :( I'm glad we aren't in that circumstance and feel sympathy for those that are. Hope everyone can find replacement vacations asap!

I am not aware of the costs between CA and FL, but isn't it significantly cheaper to cruise out of FL?

I think it's fair. This was not Carnival's fault people. It was an accident.

If you read other threads, you will see that Carnival has raised fares 25% since the 'incident'. Fire was probably not their fault-raising the cruise rates 25% is under their control and very disappointing. I know fares go up and down but one example was a Splendor cruise in May, 2011 where the cabin went from $609 to $809 just after the 'incident'. :mad:

If you read other threads, you will see that Carnival has raised fares 25% since the 'incident'. Fire was probably not their fault-raising the cruise rates 25% is under their control and very disappointing. I know fares go up and down but one example was a Splendor cruise in May, 2011 where the cabin went from $609 to $809 just after the 'incident'. :mad:

On my January 3 cruise out of San Diego the price has actually increased 40%. Originally I thought the compensation was fair but with such a hike in cruises that they could transfer too I am starting to second guess my vote.

I dont think there was a across the board increase of prices .. supply and demand. As more people book up the available future bookings, its driving the supply .. thats what is making the prices go up. The fewer cabins left, the higher the price will move.

Someone posted their old price was locked in and they were able to rebook without extra fees...or thats how it sounded when they said call, their price was locked in.

Carnival is paying out monies beyond the call of duty.

I expected the price to go up. Just don't book a cruise until this Splendor matter settles down. Or go with another line.

Hubby flies weekly and I keep thinking of all the delays he endures do to "mechanical issues".

One time he got an email....your flight is cancelled. We have rebooked you for ..... no explanation....no we are sorry...dog kiss your foot.

And certainly no 25% on a future flight......

There was a stretch where of the past 6 flights.....4 had issues.....

at 25% for a future flight...that would have been a free ticket.....

Carnival is paying out monies beyond the call of duty.

I expected the price to go up. Just don't book a cruise until this Splendor matter settles down. Or go with another line.

And come Jan 16, there will be one less line to sail on from CA as Royal is pulling the Mariner out of the market. Supply and demand...

I think it is more than fair. I know of no other travel industry that offers any type of compensation for a cancellation due to maintenance issues (or any other issues for that matter). We've experienced a flight cancellation due to a broken windscreen and certainly didn't receive any discount for that or for a future flight.

I am curious....why are the Cruise Critic editors so critical of Carnival (chintzy?...stingy?)? As a cruise website for ALL cruise lines don't you think you should be more impartial? :rolleyes: IMO this poll and the opinion expressed by the editor is just another example of that attitude.

Good point......

I think the compensation is very fair. I have a lot of empathy for the displaced holiday cruisers, but I think this is a far better solution than trying (if it is even possible) to do a temporary or partial repair and risk a real disaster (injury/loss of life) befalling the ship. Since the Splendor is a one-of-a-kind design for Carnival, they have no previous experience with this particular problem, and I'm sure they want to make sure they attend to not just the repair, but any underlying problem that led to the fire. The Splendor does have siblings that I believe are sailing for Costa...I'm sure those ships will be inspected closely as well, especially if they discover a design flaw.

I have to chime in...like others, I think the poll was biased against Carnival. A better measure would be a poll that was posted WITHOUT the editor's comments. JMO...

Is it that the editors are overly critical, or that the base vote for the poll is so rabid in their support?

Is it that the editors are overly critical, or that the base vote for the poll is so rabid in their support?

I thought it was biased, and as a point of reference I have enjoyed all my cruises on Carnival, RCCL, and Princess.

I really sympathize with anyone who has had their cruise cancelled (as well as those on the trip when the fire occurred), but think the offer is fair.

When you look at how Celebrity has handled the situation for the guests that were actually onboard the Century during their rudder issue and cancelled cruise, this offer by Carnival to those that haven't yet travelled seems fair.

Having said that, if I had been looking forward to a cruise I would be extremely disappointed.

I've only cruised twice and have no allegiance to any particular cruise line, however looking at both the Celebrity and Carnival situations, I wouldn't hesitate to book again with Carnival. However, I'd think twice about booking with Celebrity. I've heard great things about the line and I'm sure a cruise with them would be great...however if anything happened that caused the cruise to be cancelled, Carnival stepped up to make guests whole and handled the situation from the beginning with grace (or as much grace as is possible given the circumstances) whereas Celebrity has not.

I am NOT involved or booked, so I'm not sure why you care what I think...

But NO!!! For someone like me this would NOT BE FAIR in the least!!! This would be stingy and rude and insulting!!!

First of all: I always book WAY WAY in advance to get the best rate!!! I usually book ES so I can keep getting the best rate... (My next cruise is already $200 higher than when I booked it. But I booked it a year in advance.) 25% off a future cruise... wouldn't touch that... it would be $154 off the current rate...

Secondly: Most folks have planned their whole vacation and holiday around this, for many I would assume it IS their present to each other.

I think the better way to have handled it, is to have called each one and given them another choice of comparable cabin value, on another ship, for the same time frame, at no additional cost, including airfare or gas money to get there!

This way, they still have a cruise. They still have reservations. They still have plans for their holidays!!!

If the offer to switch was unsatisfactory or unacceptable... then yes, the offer they extended would be more than ample. And I think with computers this could have been automated and calculated. Only one alternative would be offered to each cabin... After that, they get the refund and 25% off and assistance with airfare...

BUT... I'm in the business of customer service and I am one who believes in giving personal attention. It would be LOTS of overtime and computer time... But I think it would have been more fair!!!!

That's my $.02, since you asked!!!

I am NOT involved or booked, so I'm not sure why you care what I think...

But NO!!! For someone like me this would NOT BE FAIR in the least!!! This would be stingy and rude and insulting!!!

First of all: I always book WAY WAY in advance to get the best rate!!! I usually book ES so I can keep getting the best rate... (My next cruise is already $200 higher than when I booked it. But I booked it a year in advance.) 25% off a future cruise... wouldn't touch that... it would be $154 off the current rate...

Secondly: Most folks have planned their whole vacation and holiday around this, for many I would assume it IS their present to each other.

I think the better way to have handled it, is to have called each one and given them another choice of comparable cabin value, on another ship, for the same time frame, at no additional cost, including airfare or gas money to get there!

This way, they still have a cruise. They still have reservations. They still have plans for their holidays!!!

If the offer to switch was unsatisfactory or unacceptable... then yes, the offer they extended would be more than ample. And I think with computers this could have been automated and calculated. Only one alternative would be offered to each cabin... After that, they get the refund and 25% off and assistance with airfare...

BUT... I'm in the business of customer service and I am one who believes in giving personal attention. It would be LOTS of overtime and computer time... But I think it would have been more fair!!!!

That's my $.02, since you asked!!!

It is very rude and insulting to offer just 25%! It's a slap in the face just for 5 minutes of good PR!

It is very rude and insulting to offer just 25%! It's a slap in the face just for 5 minutes of good PR!

Why is it rude and insulting? The pax on these voyages are disappointed, for sure. They are inconvenienced and scrambling to make other arrangements. However, they are safe, at home, with options, whether you think they are good options or not. I feel the 25% is more than fair. I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong; I'm just curious why you think 25% is rude and insulting? What would be a fair offer to you?

OK you have two years to use the future credit .. book something far in advance as you always do, and take advantage of that ES rate. Personally, almost all my ES rates have come back down before the cruise left and I could have booked cheaper by waiting .. so its always a gamble, but the choice is yours to book any 7 day or less (and from what I know they will prorate even if you decided on a 8 day)

They cant call folks who booked thru a TA .. so it wouldnt be fair to those who did not book direct and Carnival cant make the TAs call everyone and do this. Nice idea for a small town way of dealing with things, but wouldnt work because those who booked direct might be the only ones getting the calls.

Hi lambie .. love ya .. but considering it was a accident, we will have to agree to disagree on how to handle this. I cant see Carnival mandating all TAs to call their pax on the cancelled cruises.

PS I also cant imagine how Carnival could come up with ONE alternative (you say offer them one alternative, then they are on their own with the 25%), since there is no way Carnival could know the date you would want to go if on Splendor .. and there is no other cruise that leaves from the same port on the dates they were booked to offer.

Carnival was more than fair...the people that are whining need to shut up, take the 25% discount and the money for their airfare, and rebook, not only will they save 25% on the cruise, they will also save money on their airfare, since they will essentially just be rescheduling and only pay a penalty on that in most cases. I would take the deal in a heart beat!

Archived