Has the Price Gouging stopped?

sbnuggie

Howdy,

So...having a splendor cruise booked next May I of course have been reading, as time permits, all that I can about the "event" and the related problems everyone has been suffering as a result. I checked on prices for my cruise just a couple of days ago and the price for our cabins (connecting OV cabins on Main Deck, Cat 6C) had jumped to well over $200 per person.

Now I just checked again, and the price is back down to the Pre-Fire pricing. I also double checked on a paradise cruise the wife and I were thinking about going on in January and it is also down as well.

Do you think Carnival got the message that giving people whose cruise was cancelled a %25 discount on a Future Cruise then raising prices by %20 - %25 might not have been the best PR move?

Everyone else see that as well?

Nope... if the prices are dropping it's because the booking pressure is falling.

Prices can be updated every three hours if the algorithm deems it necessary. There's no one behind the curtain pulling levers and changing prices.

Carnival is handling pricing complaints on a one on one basis...

:)

I do not believe that you can be price gouged without your consent!:) The cruises I have been looking at (Eastern Caribbean, August) have not changed at all over the last few weeks - so it is not system wide. I really belive that the 10's of thousands of people all trying to rebook at once caused the computers to change the prices thinking that they are all new bookings. But the email address was posted several times for those affected to bypass the system - what are the results of using it?

Price Gouging....aren't you paying attention.

As I have stated before, no one can be "price gouged" without their permission. No one is forcing anyone to pull out their credit card and pay double what a cruise is worth! Carnival is a business and has the right to sell their product for whatever price the market will bear. And we as consumers have the right to accept or decline that price.

Howdy,

So...having a splendor cruise booked next May I of course have been reading, as time permits, all that I can about the "event" and the related problems everyone has been suffering as a result. I checked on prices for my cruise just a couple of days ago and the price for our cabins (connecting OV cabins on Main Deck, Cat 6C) had jumped to well over $200 per person.

Now I just checked again, and the price is back down to the Pre-Fire pricing. I also double checked on a paradise cruise the wife and I were thinking about going on in January and it is also down as well.

Do you think Carnival got the message that giving people whose cruise was cancelled a %25 discount on a Future Cruise then raising prices by %20 - %25 might not have been the best PR move?

I suggest that there was never any price gouging. Price gouging would occur IF and ONLY IF the price went over the brochure price. Anything below that is a discount. Yes, it is rare that anyone ever pays that price, but you do not have gouging until you exceed it. I don't think Carnival came close to it much less exceed that figure.

People need to realize that Carnival will sell cruises at what the market will pay. If you don't like a price, don't buy.

Next May should really not be affected by Splendor's recent troubles... the ship will be back in service long before then (one would hope) so there would be no "shortage" to drive up prices.

That's why I take issue with all these people complaining about the pricing... it is only going to be an issue with cruises that occur when the demand is higher than usual, and is very temporary.

This is exactly why prices go up in the summer. You will find people complain about that, too! :D

Next May should really not be affected by Splendor's recent troubles... the ship will be back in service long before then (one would hope) so there would be no "shortage" to drive up prices. :D

Part of the problem is there has been too little demand on the west coast, people tell me, because calif economy stinks. I dont really know. Carnival has already pulled on of the two Fantasy class ships it had out there a year ago, and now next year RCL is pulling Mariner. Even pulling two ships, one of which hasnt yet been pulled will pull up prices. .. which have been too low. Carnival cant be making a profit at some of these prices?

No shortage until now, because these folks are used to such rock bottom prices, the prices have both lines pulling ships out. Califs are unlikely to see those prices again. .. just imo.

The original thread was yanked due to redundancy as I took it to the attention of the mods. It wasn't Host Mach who yanked it which is good since he was the first one to reply to the original thread (oh, yep ...that would have been thread #3).

This poster needs to get over it, on with it.....starting yet thread 4 is ridiculous. Please don't feed the troll even though I just did!!:o

The original thread was yanked due to redundancy as I took it to the attention of the mods. It wasn't Host Mach who yanked it which is good since he was the first one to reply to the original thread (oh, yep ...that would have been thread #3).

This poster needs to get over it, on with it.....starting yet thread 4 is ridiculous. Please don't feed the troll even though I just did!!:o

Ya know I have been reading cruising forums way bk .

You sound like a wanna be mod.:rolleyes:

Give your self a pat on the back now ,OK.

It's a CRUISE CRITIC forum ,let people have their say.

Why would you report to the moderators that a thread is redundant? If you don't want to read another posting about the same topic, just skip over it. Somebody else may see some value in it. This smacks of censorship to me, if you don't want it here ask that it be removed, my goodness.

It was my understanding "price gouging" was the inappropriate increase in price on neccessary items during a time of high demand...such as here in Miami gas stations can't raise the price per gallon to the extreme when a hurricane is coming...they know people will need to fill their tanks, etc and charging say $10/gallon would be price gouging. I just cannot relate the terms to a CRUISE VACATION.

It was my understanding "price gouging" was the inappropriate increase in price on neccessary items during a time of high demand...such as here in Miami gas stations can't raise the price per gallon to the extreme when a hurricane is coming...they know people will need to fill their tanks, etc and charging say $10/gallon would be price gouging. I just cannot relate the terms to a CRUISE VACATION.

Your understanding is right, one problem people will not and do not follow those rules.:rolleyes:

Traveling through the states i have witness astounding price gouging.

For example eighteen dollars for a two gallon gas can "with no gas" ,while leaving Miami cruise port after hurricane Wilma decided to visit Fl.

Relating to cruise vacations, gouging usually occurs during cruise cancellations.

Easy enough to watch the prices,right before a cruise is canceled.

Howdy,

Price Gouging?

I have booked 3 different cruises Early Saver. I watch Carnival's pricing carefully. This notion of price gouging by Carnival after the Splendor crisis is just silly. Prices on all cruises can go up by even more than $200 at any time, any ship, any date, any cruiseline. They almost always drop again a day or two later. Prices fluctuate regularly.

Last spring we were considering a Celebrity sailing. The price for the cabin went up and down consistently. It ended nearly $600 higher then it started.

I just watched the price for a balcony on the Dec 11th Dream sailing go from $639 to $799 to $1,079 and now they're sold out! Wow!

Ships have a tendency to sell out lower category to higher. What you were seeing was categories selling out ie no more 8a then 8b is the lowest price.

I wasn't complaining about price gouging. In reply to the thread, I was making an observation in the differences in the prices since I originally booked mine. The hugh price increases did not affect me so therefore an observation was made.

I have a question slightly off topic but dont' think a new thread should be started. Host Mach is probably the best to answer it.

I understand the computers use an algorithm to determine the various prices and is based on supply and demand. Do you know if the computers look at the booking demand or do they also look at price inquiries as well. What I'm getting at is are the people who book early saver and look 3 times a day to obtain an OBC creating an artificial demand that might create an increase in some pricing?

Thanks,

Mike

Ya know I have been reading cruising forums way bk .

You sound like a wanna be mod.:rolleyes:

Give your self a pat on the back now ,OK.

It's a CRUISE CRITIC forum ,let people have their say.

Why would you report to the moderators that a thread is redundant? If you don't want to read another posting about the same topic, just skip over it. Somebody else may see some value in it. This smacks of censorship to me, if you don't want it here ask that it be removed, my goodness.

Now that I'm finished patting myself on the back:rolleyes:I just wanted to let you guys know that I did not "report" the thread nor did I ask that it be removed. There were 4 threads going at the same time about the same subject...I thought they could be combined. Didn't expect the thread to get yanked and certainly didn't expect the OP to start yet another thread once it did.

Drama Queens and Kings use terms such as "smacks of censorship" and I have no desire to be a mod.

Now that I'm finished patting myself on the back:rolleyes:I just wanted to let you guys know that I did not "report" the thread nor did I ask that it be removed. There were 4 threads going at the same time about the same subject...I thought they could be combined. Didn't expect the thread to get yanked and certainly didn't expect the OP to start yet another thread once it did.

Drama Queens and Kings use terms such as "smacks of censorship" and I have no desire to be a mod.

The original thread was yanked due to redundancy as I took it to the attention of the mods.

Goody for you the rest of us assumed you advised the mods to delete the thread :rolleyes: Sigh !

Well, we all know what happens when you ASSUME......

No tell us:rolleyes:

Did you or did you not post this comment,

The original thread was yanked due to redundancy as I took it to the attention of the mods.

You took it to the attention of the mods, say as you will but the rest of us can read .

Back to reading the forums now i bore of your BS.

Archived