WiFi

pcm1961

I just got off the Allure pre-inaugural this morning, and we had wi-fi in our cabin on Deck 11. We had an "inside balcony" overlooking the aqua theater.

The internet cafes where must go first to set up an account on one of their wired pcs are on Deck 14, 9, and 7. Decks 9 and 7 are teeny-tiny closet like rooms. Deck14 is the more spacious online area that we are all familiar with.

After this you can check your cabin for signal strength, or go to one of the hotspots around the ship.

I just got off the Allure pre-inaugural this morning, and we had wi-fi in our cabin on Deck 11. We had an "inside balcony" overlooking the aqua theater.

The internet cafes where must go first to set up an account on one of their wired pcs are on Deck 14, 9, and 7. Decks 9 and 7 are teeny-tiny closet like rooms. Deck14 is the more spacious online area that we are all familiar with.

After this you can check your cabin for signal strength, or go to one of the hotspots around the ship.

Any idea if they ever got the TV systems working? On the Oasis in January they had them all setup to use Internet and register for WiFi but neither worked. Guest services said they were working on an update to fix it but till then the "temporary computer labs" had to be used to register for WiFi or access Internet.

I checked with my provider (AT&T) and I was told there would not be an International roaming charge (typically $2.49/min.) when using wifi on a cruise ship. I also called RCI and was told there would be no charges for using a cell phone with the wifi service. I cannot believe this. Does anyone know anything different?

I checked with my provider (AT&T) and I was told there would not be an International roaming charge (typically $2.49/min.) when using wifi on a cruise ship. I also called RCI and was told there would be no charges for using a cell phone with the wifi service. I cannot believe this. Does anyone know anything different?

I did not use my iphone last summer on Oasis but if you use a smartphone it would be wise to turn off automatic data fetching as I believe it would eat away your wifi minutes you purchased.

I'm guessing there is some confusion in what they are telling you. There may not be any phone "roaming" charges to use wifi on a cruise ship, because you're not accessing phone lines. But you will be charged to use the ship's wifi to access the internet.

I'm guessing there is some confusion in what they are telling you. There may not be any phone "roaming" charges to use wifi on a cruise ship, because you're not accessing phone lines. But you will be charged to use the ship's wifi to access the internet.

That is correct. And people should also remember to properly log out of the ship wifi browser. Just closing the screen or minimizing the window will allow wifi to run and will eat away at your minutes. Directions to log out are provided on the rccl wifi page.

The RCI person told me no charges for accessing wifi with cellphone. Does that mean voice services are free while data (email) and internet browsing are billed?

That is correct. And people should also remember to properly log out of the ship wifi browser. Just closing the screen or minimizing the window will allow wifi to run and will eat away at your minutes. Directions to log out are provided on the rccl wifi page.

Which brings up an issue with iPad

iPad does not pop-up the mini window with the timer, so you cannot log out.

I asked at customer service and the guy, who was very nice, said people and other customers have told him the only way to "log out" is to turn off your WiFi in your iPad and actually shut it down for a few minutes, HOWEVER, the system will still take a couple minutes to log you off because you did not properly log-out.

I paid attention and it did seem as if I lost some time whenever I logged off.

The internet cafes where must go first to set up an account on one of their wired pcs .....

I'm curious how you register for WiFi on the ship. Do you just get a password or something that you have to type in to log in? Does each device you have that is WiFi accessible have to be authorized, or can you use multiple devices on the same account?

The RCI person told me no charges for accessing wifi with cellphone. Does that mean voice services are free while data (email) and internet browsing are billed?

I think voice would be billed as a per minute fee $2.49. Wifi is only for emailing, internet, etc...

Which brings up an issue with iPad

I did not bring one but to be safe i would log off on the RCCL internet page and then turn off wifi in settings.

I'm curious how you register for WiFi on the ship

Go to one of the computer rooms and register for a username and password. You'll need your sea pass card.

I was on Oasis last week, Allure now. On both ships sign up for wifi can be done on the cabin TV. Decent wifi signal all over the ship. I also am using a Verizon smart phone for data on the ship. The speed is 1X, meaning as slow as wifi. Verizon has a international data plan that covers the ship and Mexico, but no tethering to laptop.

I'm curious how you register for WiFi on the ship. Do you just get a password or something that you have to type in to log in? Does each device you have that is WiFi accessible have to be authorized, or can you use multiple devices on the same account?

You can use multiple devices on the same account. I set one up and my BF and I were each able to log on to it with separate laptops.

Archived