Jewel Alert...Robo Calls...Dec.5th Sailing now Dec.6th

jaja

Can you tell me where you found that info? I like learning things like this and the web site I visited was obviously way off.

It is a lot closer to drive between the two than to sail. Definitely surprised me too.

Here's a link. I tried it several times before I was able to connect. The chart is in .pdf so you can save a copy. It's page 10 of the file (or page 4 of the report).

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/nsd/distances-ports/distances.pdf

According to NOAA, it's 386 nautical miles from Boston to New York. That suprised me- I thought it would be much less than that.
If you have a look at her track so far (PDF in my post above), it's quite easy to see how a much greater distance could have to be sailed than the shortest distance between the two cities, which is about 185 miles (about 160 nm).

If you have a look at her track so far (PDF in my post above), it's quite easy to see how a much greater distance could have to be sailed than the shortest distance between the two cities, which is about 185 miles (about 160 nm).

Yup- I just did. Now I see why the distance is so much greater than the driving distance. Thanks for the visual.

We had to cancel this cruise a few days ago because of the death on my mother..The PR rep from NCL saw my post about possibly rebooking and asked me to email my name and phone number....about 30 minutes later a rep called and told us that our entire reservation was restored...we are sooooo happy..we really need a vacation :D

Thank you NCL

Glad to see you on board again Rich. Kudos to you NCL for doing the right thing

Four of us traveling together, and none were notified by NCL, even though we hade pre-registered and provided contact ino (and emergency contact info). We got to the pier, and there were only two women to deal with the crowds, and they had no information and only handed out a vague letter from NCL telling about the delay. I am disappointed that one stop has been eliminated (I had pre-booked an excursion there) and don't want to deal with gridlock weekday traffic going into Manhattan tomorrow afternoon. WHY couldn't NCL contact everyone,. when the information was in their computer?? I just can't understand that at all!

Four of us traveling together, and none were notified by NCL, even though we hade pre-registered and provided contact ino (and emergency contact info). We got to the pier, and there were only two women to deal with the crowds, and they had no information and only handed out a vague letter from NCL telling about the delay. I am disappointed that one stop has been eliminated (I had pre-booked an excursion there) and don't want to deal with gridlock weekday traffic going into Manhattan tomorrow afternoon. WHY couldn't NCL contact everyone,. when the information was in their computer?? I just can't understand that at all!

Did they not robo call everyone?

This crane accident was last minute and not planned. Who would have ever expected such a freak accident?

It is unfortunate to the passengers but really how do you do anything better than was already done?

This crane accident was last minute and not planned. Who would have ever expected such a freak accident?

It is unfortunate to the passengers but really how do you do anything better than was already done?

No, they did not call everyone. As of this point, we have gotten six phone calls, but many others on our sailing have gotten none. Doing better would be allowing passengers to rebook on another sailing with their current fare applied, providing a better credit for removing one day of the cruise, plus one less port day and hours removed from others (and now very few port excursion possibilities due to the hours changes), keeping the one single port that most of the passengers were looking forward to (Nassau) instead of nixing it in favor of GSC where NCL stands to make a lot of money rather than paying it to Nassau port, or even as simple as contacting all the passengers and travel agents. Not done well at all. I love NCL, and this breaks my heart, but the ball has really been dropped on this one.. We are now on basically a six day cruise to nowhere and many of us are not seeing anything in return for the inconvenience (for us it's a $100 OBC only, nothing else).

Robin

Maybe by letting everyone know! I was not notified and there were quite a few who had no notice from NCL. Seems to me there should be some compassion for the people who made the trip to Manhattan today to find out there was no ship.

David, May I suggest you read this thread from the beginning. You will see were NCL posted a statement that they were trying to call everyone and apologized. There were numerous other postings eariler today that were deleted too. You might want to also check the NCL Facebook site. There are a lot of posts there that have not been removed.

Fishbait,

Are you sure you are getting the $100 OBC? When the Gem was cancelled CAS did not notify me and when I called them, they wanted to charge me more for my upgrade (which I had paid for on the Gem) and did not want to give me any OBC. I had to insist to get $50. My daughter got a $175 OBC without having to ask for it, plus, she got a refund of $125. Good luck with your OBC. I am not sure if I will get it.

Barbara

You would just cancel. Considering that they are unwilling to give me a refund I guess I am too cheap. But you would forfeit the multiple thousands that I paid for the garden villa?

How about EVERYONE stays on the ship i/o going to GSC?

That ought to show 'em. ;)

I always stay on the ship at GSC. Been there 7 times, first time was going to go, until I got caught in the cattle call. From then on said no way.

No, they did not call everyone. As of this point, we have gotten six phone calls, but many others on our sailing have gotten none. Doing better would be allowing passengers to rebook on another sailing with their current fare applied, providing a better credit for removing one day of the cruise, plus one less port day and hours removed from others (and now very few port excursion possibilities due to the hours changes), keeping the one single port that most of the passengers were looking forward to (Nassau) instead of nixing it in favor of GSC where NCL stands to make a lot of money rather than paying it to Nassau port, or even as simple as contacting all the passengers and travel agents. Not done well at all. I love NCL, and this breaks my heart, but the ball has really been dropped on this one.. We are now on basically a six day cruise to nowhere and many of us are not seeing anything in return for the inconvenience (for us it's a $100 OBC only, nothing else).

Robin

Ok I agree

I should research this more. The 7 day cruise has been reduced to 6 and 2 ports are cancelled???

But the flip side is that any cruise line (not just NCL) is not going to cancell an entire cruise. It would devsstate them financially.

I am 100% sympathetic and would feel horrible if I was on the cruise. But I am not sure what can be done. This was a last minute freak accident. But as someone stated to me, I should read all the posts.

I hope something good can come of this.

Fishbait,

Are you sure you are getting the $100 OBC? When the Gem was cancelled CAS did not notify me and when I called them, they wanted to charge me more for my upgrade (which I had paid for on the Gem) and did not want to give me any OBC. I had to insist to get $50. My daughter got a $175 OBC without having to ask for it, plus, she got a refund of $125. Good luck with your OBC. I am not sure if I will get it.

Barbara

No, Barbara, I am not sure at all, just going by what NCL has told me.. As a comp, we are getting back 1/7 of nothing, including the nearly $600 we paid in taxes and port charges alone. But of course, this is what NCL told us as well, and they told me that frankly they don't know how it will all be handled. Who knows what the actual amount credited, debited will be... From what I understand now, it's costing me more than they are crediting me. I will call CAS

as soon as they open tomorrow and see what they say.

Robin

Good luck Robin. After my last experience with CAS, I am reconciled to whatever happens, happens...I will be with my family and we are planning on having a great cruise to nowhere. All of our excursions have been cancelled, but I think I may save some money this trip...lol

Barbara

Ok I agree

I should research this more. The 7 day cruise has been reduced to 6 and 2 ports are cancelled???

But the flip side is that any cruise line (not just NCL) is not going to cancell an entire cruise. It would devsstate them financially.

I am 100% sympathetic and would feel horrible if I was on the cruise. But I am not sure what can be done. This was a last minute freak accident. But as someone stated to me, I should read all the posts.

I hope something good can come of this.

Partially correct. Now 6 days instead of 7, and one of three ports cancelled (the most important one according to most on the sailing) the others shortened so that many shore excursions are impossible. Yes, it's a freak accident, but bottom line it's NCL's responsibility. When an airliner is delayed for this long due to "mechanical" there are laws protecting passengers, not so here.

Robin

hi all...

I am the OP....we are leaving , as you know, tomorrow.....a day late..:mad:

Hoping/ planning...to have a good cruise...no matter what....:D

Will check in when we return....:)

Archived