Jewel Alert...Robo Calls...Dec.5th Sailing now Dec.6th

jaja

I'm still ill from their private island infestation thread I read~I've been many places, never had a bug issue...Done this itinerary a few times~GSC was nothing to brag about but at least I didn't get bites all over me ::shudder::

Anyway...thought I'd look here for any info. since the NCL reps. on the phone sounded very confused themselves..Happy cruising everyone! If we finally get on the boat, hope you all dance & have a blast!

WHAT A MESS is all I can say. Those that imply that 6 is better than nothing fail to realize the difference between arriving in NYC on Monday at rush hour vs. arriving on Sunday --- especially driving from DC. There goes another day to make up the sleep we will be missing by leaving home at 2 am. Seriously just considering canceling at this point. WILL NEVER. SAIL. WITH. NCL. AGAIN!!! :mad:

I do feel for you. really ...and please know my comment about 6 days is better than nothing..is totally a personal comment...because for us..(who only had to make minor adjustments in our pier arrival plans) it is by no means an ideal situation...but acceptable to us.since we could adjust and because this is the time frame I can cruise in ..

(NOTE...this is not our only change....I am one of those who had NCL cancel my Gem 12/4 -cruise due to dry dock..and transferred by booking to the Jewel 12/5...) Things happen...

Got to take the bad with the good;). I am sure everyone would prefer to take the whole cruise (after all that's what they booked) but I think the accommodation is fair. Assume about $2100 for a couple, so the refund is $300, plus another $100 OBC. You can get a nice midtown hotel on a Sunday for that with a nice dinner. Might even get a show in too. (Sun Matinées are cheaper). BUT be up early and at the pier by 07:00 - boarding is at 08:00 and she sails at noon. Make the best of it. :)

I understand this outlook, and I admire people who can pull this off.

But I think we also need to understand that the cruise has been changed in a number of ways, not only just shortened by a day, but also because it is skipping GSC (some say that's a good thing, but others like that day on the beach), and also because its times in the two remaining ports will be altered, particularly Nassau, which will now be noon to 1am rather than 8am to 6pm. By the time you get off the ship after the noon arrival, and given the early sunset time in December, if you had planned a day at the beach, it won't be much. (And except for those drinking themselves silly at Senor Frogs, I suspect being in Nassau till 1am will not be much of a treat for many passengers.)

My point is that for some people, this 6-day version of the cruise will not be "worth" 6/7 of what they paid, and they would never have booked it in the first place. For the sake of those folks who can't make the lemonade here, I do hope NCL will offer full refunds to those booked on this cruise. This wasn't a weather problem, it was an NCL scheduled dry dock...

I am very sorry for those on this cruise.... I do hope it all turns out well for you.

This isn't the first time we've had problems with NCL....We first went on The Dawn & adored it...after that first trip the others were so-so...The first time we went with them on The Gem~omg, they screwed up so badly there was a riot (not led by me)....too long of a story to get into but all I saw that entire cruise were guests freaking out & complaining....(and they had every reason to be.) Then you come home & forget & book again....I expect my vacations to be WITHOUT STRESS :)

I don't know what to do now because I was going to book another cruise with them while on the boat...I'll have to research other lines & finally listen to my friends..Awww I liked the Freestyle way but it may be time to move on...Live & Learn...

Hope it works out for all of us on this trip....

Take Care & Bye All :)

Haven't decided what to do yet.. As a comped CAS guest, NCL just told us that we will get 1/7 of our out-of-pocket expenses back, not 1/7 of the worth of our comp... And if we cancel, our comp will disappear (according to NCL) because we booked it before it's expiration and now it is past the 18 month expiration date. So, we get either 1/7 of nothing, or we get nothing at all - for this aggravation. We have already pre-booked house-sitters and a car, etc, so this will end up costing me more than if we had simply cruised as scheduled. Haven't decided what to do yet, but I suspect NCL will be in for a lot of legal drama once this all settles down. I really feel for the people who flew in for this sailing, as well as those who have to drive from a distance. As it is, with traffic, we will have to leave before 6am to get there, so I can't imagine from driving in from out of the area! I am a glass half-full kind of person, but feel that we are certainly getting the short end of the stick on this one....

Robin

Haven't decided what to do yet.. As a comped CAS guest, NCL just told us that we will get 1/7 of our out-of-pocket expenses back, not 1/7 of the worth of our comp... And if we cancel, our comp will disappear (according to NCL) because we booked it before it's expiration and now it is past the 18 month expiration date. So, we get either 1/7 of nothing, or we get nothing at all - for this aggravation. We have already pre-booked house-sitters and a car, etc, so this will end up costing me more than if we had simply cruised as scheduled. Haven't decided what to do yet, but I suspect NCL will be in for a lot of legal drama once this all settles down. I really feel for the people who flew in for this sailing, as well as those who have to drive from a distance. As it is, with traffic, we will have to leave before 6am to get there, so I can't imagine from driving in from out of the area! I am a glass half-full kind of person, but feel that we are certainly getting the short end of the stick on this one....

Robin

You make a good point about the early boarding time for those driving from a distance but in reality, how many people do you think fly into NYC in Dec to cruise to the Bahamas rather than fly to FL and spend more time in the tropics? I'd say the numbers are slim.

Just got a call from our ta and ncl is offering a hotel room for tomorrow night plus transportation from the pier to the hotel and back Monday morning to the pier plus a chit for dinner tomorrow night. Has anyone else heard this? (this is for the Jewel out of ny)

You make a good point about the early boarding time for those driving from a distance but in reality, how many people do you think fly into NYC in Dec to cruise to the Bahamas rather than fly to FL and spend more time in the tropics? I'd say the numbers are slim.

We have a few on our roll call. Including someone from CA. The problem is not that they shortened the sailing, but more that it was done less than 24 hours prior.

Robin

We have a few on our roll call. Including someone from CA. The problem is not that they shortened the sailing, but more that it was done less than 24 hours prior.

Robin

Really? That's suprising. Well hopefully they know...

I think it is a some what fair compensation, but the truth of the matter is that the 1/7 should be per adult there are at least two adults per cabin and both of them are missing one day... And that is not counting the two children... I think each adult should a least be compensated, I had to pay per adult not per cabin... And I wont even start on the fact that I am a transfer from the Gem 12/4....

I think it is a some what fair compensation, but the truth of the matter is that the 1/7 should be per adult there are at least two adults per cabin and both of them are missing one day... And that is not counting the two children... I think each adult should a least be compensated, I had to pay per adult not per cabin... And I wont even start on the face that I am a transfer from the Gem 12/4

It says 1/7th of the cruise fare paid...so that is the fare paid by each person...or the total fare paid for the cabin...same amount either way. The $100 OBC is per cabin.

I think it is a some what fair compensation, but the truth of the matter is that the 1/7 should be per adult there are at least two adults per cabin and both of them are missing one day... And that is not counting the two children... I think each adult should a least be compensated, I had to pay per adult not per cabin... And I wont even start on the face that I am a transfer from the Gem 12/4

It is 1/7 per passenger, so 1/7 of the total you paid, less any non-applicable fees/taxes (some taxes and fees are applicable). But it also should be $100 pp OBC, not $100 per cabin. Kinda crazy for all the expenses people ate incurring at such short notice.

Robin

I think it is a some what fair compensation, but the truth of the matter is that the 1/7 should be per adult there are at least two adults per cabin and both of them are missing one day... And that is not counting the two children... I think each adult should a least be compensated, I had to pay per adult not per cabin... And I wont even start on the fact that I am a transfer from the Gem 12/4....

It's counted as 1st and 2nd passengers in the room and then 3rd and 4th not adults and kids. Even so, the kids are still missing 1/7 of the cruise too.

I started V A C A T I O N at 4:00 yesterday!!

I feel sorry for the people getting their panties in a bunch.

As for those out of towners that feel they need to travel on Monday,

I wonder why they aren't sticking to their regular schedule and come in

tomorrow and take advantage of the free hotel & food. If you ask me they

are the lucky ones....a free night in the greatest city in the world at the greated time of the year. :D Can't beat that!

I stayed at the Marriott Marquis last year the night before our cruise and enjoyed the city.

If you ask me they are the lucky ones....a free night in the greatest city in the world at the greated time of the year. :D Can't beat that!

Yes you can beat that! How about giving the customer what they paid for?

This is inexecusable in my opinion. Not being able to get a ship back on schedule reeks of incompetence on NCL's part. Couldn't blame any of these passengers if they never gave NCL another nickel of thier money.

And I'm an NCL fan.

If they're paying for hotel and meals and transport from and to the pier, and cutting the cruise price by 1/7, and offering an on-board credit, I think they're being pretty fair. Now, for those who are planning on Atlantis for the Nassau day, I'd cancel the reservation for Atlantis. Not worth paying all that money for only four hours of daylight. We were on the Jewel Thanksgiving week, and had a really nice cruise. There are plenty of half day excursions one can do in Nassau. You can even take the bus for one dollar to a public beach, Goodman's Bay, I think it was called. If NCL would drop the price to rock bottom for last minute cruisers to fill in for the cancellations, I'd send my husband and son right back on again, we enjoyed it that much! But I have to agree, this was really poor planning on NCL's part. They'd been planning this drydock for months. No excuse for this. If I'd been scheduled for this cruise, I'd be furious.

NCL is giving everyone a fair shake as compared to what we incurred on Carnival Legend.

The ship was delayed getting to NYC. It was due in Monday morning for us to board 11 a.m. We were called Sunday evening and told ship was delayed to be at the pier 8 p.m. for boarding. I cannot fathom the pain in the butt it must have been for people flying in. It was only the two of us this trip and good thing our friend could take us later. (he also took the day off from work to take us in the a.m.). We arrived at the pier at 8 p.m. to a disaster area - 2,000 just getting off and 2,000 trying to board. They stuck us in the pier building next door in 90 degree atmosphere - didn't even offer folks some bottled water.

Long story short of this - we didn't not board until 1 a.m. All Carnival gave us was $25 OBC per cabin for "missing lunch" (we had two hot dogs and went to bed whoopee) No money back on cruise fare. People were fuming. Purser's desk personnel wanted to quit their jobs. I wrote a letter to Carnival after the cruise (we enjoyed ourselves on the cruise despite what happened) explaining we should have been given the equivalent of a day's lost fare. They sent me a we're sorry letter and offered us 15% off next cruise (of course it had to be used in a year).

So whether or not this was beyond their control, seems to me they're do right by passengers. Also don't forget that GSC gets skipped if there is high winds, rough seas, etc., so we've always found it a crapshoot that you ever get to go there (2 NCL cruises we took they skipped).

I know it's really really really aggravating but sure seems to come with the territory of cruising (hurricanes, rough seas, medical emergencies, etc)

Maybe they'll also offer some future cruise credits as well.

I know it's really really really aggravating but sure seems to come with the territory of cruising (hurricanes, rough seas, medical emergencies, etc)

I agree with you that there are many things, such as the ones you listed, that "come with the territory of cruising," that are well beyond the control of the cruise line, and that folks who cruise have to be able to roll with the punches (so to speak) to a certain degree.

But a cruise line-scheduled dry dock is very different from these things, and at a certain point, passengers are entitled to what they paid for, or they should be able to get a full refund. There's a very big difference now between this cruise as originally scheduled, and what pax will be getting. It's not just one less day, and for some folks, it won't be worth 6/7 of what they paid.

The refund situation right now isn't clear. There are some reports on here that NCL is giving full refunds. If so, that's great.

Archived