Jewel Alert...Robo Calls...Dec.5th Sailing now Dec.6th

jaja

Not only is the refund situation unclear- everything's unclear! I'm one of the passengers who has still not been notified that I will not be boarding today (no calls yet from NCL or the TA)- good thing I'm on Cruise Critic! And I'm not the only one. Very little has been posted (on their site) and it seems that as passengers call NCL, the story changes slightly. And there's still no guarantee that we'll sail on Monday (the ship is still in drydock this AM). The NCL site still says that the ship is estimated to sail on Monday. When will we know for sure? (And for those of you who are getting calls from NCL or your TA- please post on Cruise Critic for those of us who aren't getting called!)

I don't think it is related to any of the delays, but here is a link to a news story about a crane collapse at the Jewel drydock today. It's a brief clip, but you can see the Jewel.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/12002920254229/crane-collapses-in-south-boston/

Thanks for posting.

My guess it that it is related to the delay. The report says that a crane was broken while taking away trash. It had to be cut away and the truck it was on had to be righted. And add OSHA to the mix. I think that this was beyond NCL's control.

Yes you can beat that! How about giving the customer what they paid for?

This is inexecusable in my opinion. Not being able to get a ship back on schedule reeks of incompetence on NCL's part. Couldn't blame any of these passengers if they never gave NCL another nickel of thier money.

And I'm an NCL fan.

I hope we eventually learn why the jewel was delayed. Then we may be able to have a discussion of whether the delay was excusable or inexcusable.

As I understand it, the main purpose of the Jewel drydock is mechanical (azipod repair or something?). Any cosmetic refurbishing or deep cleaning is secondary to the mechanical repair. Jewel is still in dry dock this morning. One can see from the webcam she is indeed dry. I have no inside info, but logically it seems likely that the delay is mechanical, not cosmetic. Cosmetics could be finished in the water (regular dock or at sea) at far less cost than dry dock. If the are keeping her keel dry, isn't it only logical that they are still working down there on the engine, azipod, whatever other mechanical parts? If my logic is correct and it is a mechanical delay, NCL has no choice but to wait until she is fit to sail and the next question is why were the mechanicals delayed. I'd love to know. Was the schedule impossible to meet (inexcusable)? Was another problem discovered that needed repair (perhaps excusable)? Did a repair worker mess up (may be out of NCL's control)? are they waiting for an inspector to release the ship ( may be out of NCL's control)? there could be dozens of reasons or some combo thereof. Can we please withhold the "inexcusable" judgement until we know?

I'd compare this situation to another industry, the airlines. All of us who fly commercial are inconvenienced by airlines deviating from schedule. Sometimes the reasons for delays are beyond the airlines control ( weather, security scares, etc). Sometimes there are mechanical delays. Do we all scream "inexcusable" when the delay is mechanical? Do we wonder if some mechanical problems could/should have been avoided? But are we glad there are fixing the problem? Of course customers need to be treated fairly, but mechanical stuff happens, even to our own less complicated items like cars.

I hope the Jewel comes out of dry dock soon with her engines roaring (figuratively). I hope the 12/5 passengers are accommodated in the mean time. I hope that those who desire a full refund get it. I hope those who go on the shortened cruise have a fabulous time. I hope the Jewel is back on schedule for my 12/12 cruise.

I hope we eventually learn why the jewel was delayed. Then we may be able to have a discussion of whether the delay was excusable or inexcusable.

As I understand it, the main purpose of the Jewel drydock is mechanical (azipod repair or something?). Any cosmetic refurbishing or deep cleaning is secondary to the mechanical repair. Jewel is still in dry dock this morning. One can see from the webcam she is indeed dry. I have no inside info, but logically it seems likely that the delay is mechanical, not cosmetic. Cosmetics could be finished in the water (regular dock or at sea) at far less cost than dry dock. If the are keeping her keel dry, isn't it only logical that they are still working down there on the engine, azipod, whatever other mechanical parts? If my logic is correct and it is a mechanical delay, NCL has no choice but to wait until she is fit to sail and the next question is why were the mechanicals delayed. I'd love to know. Was the schedule impossible to meet (inexcusable)? Was another problem discovered that needed repair (perhaps excusable)? Did a repair worker mess up (may be out of NCL's control)? are they waiting for an inspector to release the ship ( may be out of NCL's control)? there could be dozens of reasons or some combo thereof. Can we please withhold the "inexcusable" judgement until we know?

I'd compare this situation to another industry, the airlines. All of us who fly commercial are inconvenienced by airlines deviating from schedule. Sometimes the reasons for delays are beyond the airlines control ( weather, security scares, etc). Sometimes there are mechanical delays. Do we all scream "inexcusable" when the delay is mechanical? Do we wonder if some mechanical problems could/should have been avoided? But are we glad there are fixing the problem? Of course customers need to be treated fairly, but mechanical stuff happens, even to our own less complicated items like cars.

I hope the Jewel comes out of dry dock soon with her engines roaring (figuratively). I hope the 12/5 passengers are accommodated in the mean time. I hope that those who desire a full refund get it. I hope those who go on the shortened cruise have a fabulous time. I hope the Jewel is back on schedule for my 12/12 cruise.

Good comments !

I am the OP....and agree that we need the facts .....my biggest gripe right now...is the lack of info (some Pax have yet to be told--and others like me..are getting mixed messages from NCL when we call ).....

"Knowledge is power."..and NCL should know that ....keep us informed and there will less dissention, speculation, anger and unhappy PAX..

I plan on cruising tomorrow...and having a great time....:)

Seems like most modern (run by baby boomers) big business are just "playing the numbers." Repeat business is not important as long as new customers keep coming through the revolving doors.

I'm not really going to get into the fray about whether or not what NCL is doing for compensation is adequate or not. I daresay in years past, a line would have done more, see my first paragraph.

Most companies have been stripped to run on the minimum (or less) manpower level possible. They then whip their employees to do triple the work with 1/3 the manpower, in half the time. I'm surprised these ships even float when they're launched. I can see all kinds of reasons why the ship was late getting out of Dry dock. Things like engine repair is NOT an exact science. You replace the Stetson blocks, only to see the Johnson rod isn't working type of thing. And then all those suppliers, with their understaffed companies rushing to meet extremely tight deadlines imposed by the yard or cruise line.

I can't wait until I retire.....

Not only is the refund situation unclear- everything's unclear! I'm one of the passengers who has still not been notified that I will not be boarding today (no calls yet from NCL or the TA)- good thing I'm on Cruise Critic! And I'm not the only one. Very little has been posted (on their site) and it seems that as passengers call NCL, the story changes slightly. And there's still no guarantee that we'll sail on Monday (the ship is still in drydock this AM). The NCL site still says that the ship is estimated to sail on Monday. When will we know for sure? (And for those of you who are getting calls from NCL or your TA- please post on Cruise Critic for those of us who aren't getting called!)

I find it amazing that my mom hasn't been notified of this yet either, and if I had not been sailing with her she would not have known of this either... Not to mention she was never notified about the Gem being cancelled ( Originally we were on Gem 12/4 ), again had I not been sailing with her she wouldn't have known... And its not like they don't have her phone # or email because they contact her all the time to get her to book a trip.

Now, I will go on this cruise and make the best out of my vacation because I believe your vacation is only as good as you make it, but I don't agree with people saying we shouldn't be upset that a portion of our vacation is ruined and we can't get it back, we can't just cancel becasue my husband can't just change his vacation at work as if it nothing.

Now, as far as telling me at least you got something for my troubles because you want to compare traveling horror story's, well any of us that have traveled know it could be worse and I could sit here all day and have a peeing contest about it , but that is not the point the point is they can't give me back what I booked, which was a 7 day cruise with GSC, oh and Bahamas from 1pm - 1 am in Dec... Yea ok everyone have a good time there with four hours of day light in Dec. so really that port is going to be a bust as well for some people.

now let me make this clear, I will go on this ship and I will suck it up and have a great time because it is my family's vacation and thats what we do, but I will not be told by anyone that I should settle for less or be happy just because they feel GSC is a horrible port, or that it is only one day less or because somebody else had a worse situation or because you don't see my point....

driving from Boston . Where is there a no frills hotel within reason from pier?

1/7th not good enough:mad:

Sorry for everything you're going through:mad:. Have you considered just leaving you're house even in the middle of the night so you don't waste money on a hotel room? That's what we do when driving to New York from Quincy (GO PATRIOTS) It might be something to consider especially in your case where the situation is so fluid and no one seems to know what's going on.

ps I totally agree 1/7th is no way near adequate compensation.

Now THIS is completely and totally inexcusable.

Good comments !

I am the OP....and agree that we need the facts .....my biggest gripe right now...is the lack of info (some Pax have yet to be told--and others like me..are getting mixed messages from NCL when we call ).....

"Knowledge is power."..and NCL should know that ....keep us informed and there will less dissention, speculation, anger and unhappy PAX..

I plan on cruising tomorrow...and having a great time....:)

Do you honestly believe that if all the information was available "everyone" would stop the speculation and complaining? I think all it would do is change the topic of the speculation and complaining to "What compensation should we all be getting and how is NCL going to defend itself in court"?

JMHO!!

PE

Wow, that sucks and the silliest thing is that no one at NCL knows anyting? How does that happen???????

Dear Guests,

We just issued the information regarding Norwegian Jewel (see below). We apologize if your agent did not yet have the updated information at the time you called. All agents should be aware at this point and it is on our web site: http://www.ncl.com.

I've pasted all the information below.

We are truly sorry about this delay and appreciate your understanding.

Best,

Norwegian Cruise Line

Attention Guests on Norwegian Jewel's 12/5 Sailing from New York:

Because of a late departure from dry dock, Norwegian Jewel will not arrive into New York on Sunday, December 5 as scheduled. The ship is now estimated to arrive into New York on Monday morning.

Therefore, embarkation for guests sailing on Norwegian Jewel’s December 5 Bahamas & Florida cruise is delayed and will begin at 8 am on Monday, December 6. The ship is scheduled to depart New York at noon on Monday.

Norwegian Jewel’s itinerary has been changed to accommodate the new departure time. The ship will now call in Port Canaveral, Florida on Wednesday, December 8 from 8 am to 8 pm and in Nassau, Bahamas on Thursday, December 9 from noon to 1 am.

Guests will receive a refund of 1/7 of the cruise fare paid and an onboard credit of $100 per stateroom.

Norwegian Cruise Line sincerely apologizes for this delay. We appreciate our guests understanding and cooperation.

It is totally inexcusable that NCL did not notify every passenger at the "emergency telephone number" that is required on the cruise docs.

I started V A C A T I O N at 4:00 yesterday!!

I feel sorry for the people getting their panties in a bunch.

As for those out of towners that feel they need to travel on Monday,

I wonder why they aren't sticking to their regular schedule and come in

tomorrow and take advantage of the free hotel & food. If you ask me they

are the lucky ones....a free night in the greatest city in the world at the greated time of the year. :D Can't beat that!

I stayed at the Marriott Marquis last year the night before our cruise and enjoyed the city.

You might be correct . . . BUT, this is the DH of one "out of towner" that isn't willing to trust NCL to come up with a decent hotel convenient to the sights of NYC. I have visions of an airport hotel with mediocre Trip Advisor reviews. It will be interesting to hear where people get put up and to see whether their meal chits will cover a decent meal in a decent restaurant or just some special in a hotel.

Do you honestly believe that if all the information was available "everyone" would stop the speculation and complaining? I think all it would do is change the topic of the speculation and complaining to "What compensation should we all be getting and how is NCL going to defend itself in court"?

JMHO!!

PE

You have a point...for sure ;)

I can only speak for myself. ..I want info to be able to adjust my plans accordingly..not to speculate or complain...but that is me..

but yes...there are some -who would probably continue on as you say...

JMHO!!

PE

Do you HONESTLY believe there is any excuse for NCL's failure to inform passengers of the facts?

Do you HONESTLY believe there is any excuse for NCL's failure to inform passengers of the facts?

The fact is that the ship is going to be late for it's scheduled cruise. What more would improve the situation? :confused: As I said, more information would only change the topic not improve the situation.

Sorry I got involved. Please go back to your collective "trashing" of NCL even though most are not even on this cruise.

PE

We apologize if someone has not received a phone call. We are doing our best to reach all guests and travel agents with the information we have available. We are contacting everyone with all of the phone numbers that were input by the guest or the travel agent during the online check-in process.

You can call us, check the web site or our Facebook page for any further updates.

Thank you for your understanding in this unexpected situation.

Norwegian Cruise Line

I am curious how many of those who didn't get notified booked through a TA.

I booked thru CAS...and got robo call..(I am OP)....

(but again...I am never sure when NCL considers CAS a TA or part of NCL :rolleyes:)

I travel with my mom who is retired... And I have tons of vacation. So we are the type who take the airlines offer to bump for vouchers. If we were on this cruise it would not bother us one bit... (we always buy insurance too).... BUT... I can totally understand and sympathize with those who have logistic problems, limited vacation time or something that contributes to a huge disappointment. I hope when the dust settles, NCL comes through and makes things right as much as possible. They can't rewind the clock and give people back the extra time, and in the case of the poster, who is losing their birthday onboard, give what can't be given. So, I hope for all that "plan B" results in a wonderful cruise... I have learned from my dear mother's example to not worry about things I can't control and to become more flexible and understanding, (I am guessing the poor crew misses out on that 7th day DSC???). My mom's motto is"life is an adventure". I hope all of you impacted have your own wonderful adventures.

Please come back and let us know!

Archived