Holland America is it Worth it?

Yulz X Asylum

So my family and I are looking at doing a new cruise in the last week of Feburary. We've reviewed many ships and have come across Holland America [ship: ms Eurodam] as the one that has ports of call thats he havent been to, or its been a while. However you don't exactly hear much about the cruise line so I wanted to know:

Is it Worth it traveling Holland America?

(looking for opinions, reviews, etc.)

[ps. the family consists of 2 adults over 55 and an 18 year old]

So my family and I are looking at doing a new cruise in the last week of Feburary. We've reviewed many ships and have come across Holland America [ship: ms Eurodam] as the one that has ports of call thats he havent been to, or its been a while. However you don't exactly hear much about the cruise line so I wanted to know:

We were on the Eurodam in May with our 17 yo and 19 yo sons and they really enjoyed it more than I thought they would (it was their first cruise). Our 17 yo enjoyed the acoustic guitarist who played live in the Crow's Nest. He went up every evening to listen and even bought his cd. They both enjoyed the food, the Culinary Arts cooking classes, the ports and excursions. The Eurodam is a newer ship so it has some of the extras like the Tamarind restaurant and the cabanas. I asked our 19 yo what he wanted to do with his money he earned at his last job and he immediately said he would love to go on another cruise. So he and I are going on the Noordam in May back to the Mediterranean where we were this year out of Rome. But this time we are doing the Eastern Mediterranean into Greece. So I would say that cruising with HAL was a hit with them!

diane

We were on the Eurodam in May with our 17 yo and 19 yo sons and they really enjoyed it more than I thought they would (it was their first cruise). Our 17 yo enjoyed the acoustic guitarist who played live in the Crow's Nest. He went up every evening to listen and even bought his cd. They both enjoyed the food, the Culinary Arts cooking classes, the ports and excursions. The Eurodam is a newer ship so it has some of the extras like the Tamarind restaurant and the cabanas. I asked our 19 yo what he wanted to do with his money he earned at his last job and he immediately said he would love to go on another cruise. So he and I are going on the Noordam in May back to the Mediterranean where we were this year out of Rome. But this time we are doing the Eastern Mediterranean into Greece. So I would say that cruising with HAL was a hit with them!

diane

Sounds good, since truth is I am the 18 year old, female, and this would be my 11th cruise.

My family and I have been pretty ritualistic as to sailing with Costa however this year the only ship down south is the Atlantica and it's all the same ports as last year when we were on it.

But thank you, I'll look into it even more.

It would in fact be nice to be on a new ship and line haha

I tend not to be one of those die-hard cheerleaders, but you mentioned you are fans of Costa.

Having sailed on both Costa and HAL with teenagers I can honestly say that if you all like Costa, you are going to LOVE the Eurodam.

HAL is a superior product in just about every way you can think of.

We have sailed 6 times with HAL, covering several ships, Eurodam twice,and great destinations, and recently also sailed with Azamara, said be very good in many reviews, and there were of course pros and cons for each cruise line, but Holland America do it so well, impecable food and service, your fellow passengers will be older, mainly, except for summer in the Med. We are about to try Princess so will be interesting to make another comparison. Everyone is different with different expectations, but I am positive you will not be even remotely disappointed. Enjoy.!

Mild culture shock changing from Costa to Holland America: instead of Italian officers and crew, you'll find Dutch officers, and Indonesian/Filipino crew.

Food will be noticeably different, more mainstream North American (eg: always available are broiled chicken, salmon, steak). Again, ethnic foods will lean towards Indonesian, not Italian. One free cup of (pretty good, but not fabulous) espresso or cappuccino at breakfast, lunch, dinner in the main dining room (regular coffee for refills).

I began cruising at 18. Like you, I arranged travel for my parents even then. (What is it about Canadian teenagers? Are we bossier, or just more competent than our counterparts in other countries?) I've always preferred elegance to flash. HAL suits me.

Fresh flowers around the ship, a free IPOD tour of the antiques/art aboard is available, a wrap around traditional teak promenade deck. That deck makes me feel like I'm sailing on a liner back in the 1930's - in a good way, I mean.

However, there are fewer activities scheduled - both day and evening - than on other lines. Daily team trivia, but few other games. Cooking demonstrations are free, but there's a fee for classes. Free movies and :) popcorn, but they're the same films that show on TV in the cabin, plus the screen is small (they use the cooking demonstration venue). Above average library, and a free "leave a book, take a book" exchange.

Hope this helps give you a "taste" of HAL style.

ABSOLUTELY! The Eurodam is one of the nicest ships and HAL's age groups are not as "old" as most think. You'll all love it! :) HAL is one of our favorites as a family and we're 55 and 54 ourselves. In fact, we're on the Westerdam again next week :D

Maxi

In my opinion, HAL is definitely worth it, and usually has better itineraries. I cruise other lines too, and enjoy them, but for me HAL is the best. I'm not sure how it would be for an 18-year-old though.

Depends on your priorities, Holland America and Costa are about as opposite as you can get. If you want huge amounts of American-style food, then choose HAL. If you want nightlife, choose Costa. I refuse to go back on HAL, evenings were so boring, what with all the decrepit old people going to bed at sundown (that was my impression, and I'm 61 with a heart condition). I was just on Costa Serena, some of their theme nights started at midnight, and the dance floor was still packed.

Depends on your priorities, Holland America and Costa are about as opposite as you can get. If you want huge amounts of American-style food, then choose HAL. If you want nightlife, choose Costa. I refuse to go back on HAL, evenings were so boring, what with all the decrepit old people going to bed at sundown (that was my impression, and I'm 61 with a heart condition). I was just on Costa Serena, some of their theme nights started at midnight, and the dance floor was still packed.

Well I'm older than you and I have a great time dancing every night!:D The dance floor is always busy, whether it's in the Crow's Nest or the Ocean Bar.

We were on the Dec 4 sailing, our 1st HAL cruise and I my advise to prospective cruisers is : go on the Eurodam only if you can get it at a really low price eg balcony $ 599 or less and lower your expectations.

We were disappointed with the Eurodam, having been on the Mariner of the Seas 7 months ago. Overall it was value for money, (for what we have paid) but the guest experience was not that great.

I am hesitant to recommend this ship to anyone.

We were on the Dec 4 sailing, our 1st HAL cruise and I my advise to prospective cruisers is : go on the Eurodam only if you can get it at a really low price eg balcony $ 599 or less and lower your expectations.

We were disappointed with the Eurodam, having been on the Mariner of the Seas 7 months ago. Overall it was value for money, (for what we have paid) but the guest experience was not that great.

I am hesitant to recommend this ship to anyone.

I read your review. Thanks, for your observations. Although I have to say I am in my 40's and was not bothered by the age of other passengers when we were on the Eurodam in May. Maybe because I don't care about staying up all night anyway :D But that would be a consideration I am sure for the OP who is 18. My sons are 18 and 19 and they enjoyed the cruise immensely. Perhaps being in the Mediterranean and having such a port intensive itinerary the night life, or lack thereof, was a non issue. Our oldest and I are returning to cruise the Med with HAL in May.

diane

ABSOLUTELY! The Eurodam is one of the nicest ships and HAL's age groups are not as "old" as most think. You'll all love it! :) HAL is one of our favorites as a family and we're 55 and 54 ourselves. In fact, we're on the Westerdam again next week :D

Maxi

We've been on both the Eurodam and Westerdam and thought both cruises were great. We are considering a cruise in the Eastern Caribbean on the Eurodam but I have read some have been disappointed with the Eurodam. Since I haven't sailed on other cruise lines I would also be interested in some specific comparisons.

Thanks

Diane

Yes, yes, it is so worth it!! My teenagers love HAL too.

. I refuse to go back on HAL, evenings were so boring, what with all the decrepit old people going to bed at sundown (that was my impression, and I'm 61 with a heart condition).

What date and itinerary was your sailing? Our experience twice in the Med was very different with ages 40-70 being average. There were also families with children. This was on Vista class ships.

Btw, we did not care about late night activities as we were off the ship as soon as it docked (or tendered in the case of Santorini), usually at 7:00am.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived