Carnival Fans - Would you ever spend more for a different cruise line?

MagnoliaFly

Would you pay more for a different cruise line?  

281 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay more for a different cruise line?

• Yes I have, and I thought it was worth it
    • Yes I have, and it wasn't worth it
    • No I have not but I might
    • No I have not and I never would
    • Carnival or Die!
    • Other (leaving comment)

Carnival (and most major cruiselines in general) doesn't do thorough background checks on their employees, alarmingly enough this includes the stewards and even some of the camp counselors. I personally am not comfortable taking the risk with my child that they could literally be put in the hands of a criminal. Unfortunately, this has affected my family personally when my then-15 year old sister was attacked and raped (penetrated and beaten) by a crew member she met while hanging out in the teen center who drugged her and carried her to the crew quarters- passing several other crew members along the way who said nothing. She got pregnant from this incident, miscarried at 4 months, went through a deep depression, and lost her innocence on this cruise.

When this incident was reported to Carnival they just expected that it would be reported to the proper authorities- it was not. Carnival later claimed no report had ever been filed with them (it had been). When asked just days later to turn over the employee Carnival claims he had been fired and let off the ship and they didn't know where he had gone. Literally, they let a brutal rapist walk free. But they did offer a discount and some OBC for a future cruise to my sister! :mad: I've learned that this was not, by far, an isolated incident. Cruise ships are notorious for sweeping crimes "under the rug". My sister is a member of a support group that consists of thousands of members who have been victims of crimes on cruise ships- a good number of them are children who were attacked, raped, or molested.

It's not so much the attack that has bothered me. This can happen anywhere- at a resort, cruise, even at home. What bothers me was the way it was handled by Carnival- they literally interfered with any chance of justice my sister had. She now walks around every day knowing this guy is out there somewhere and she could run into him again and it scares the hell out of her.

For this reason I will not take my child on a non-child centered cruise (or anywhere I think they may be bored spending the whole time with Mom and Dad). I won't leave them alone- in the cabin or at the camp- and I can see a kid getting bored when following Mom and Dad around shopping and playing "Battle of the Sexes" all day. My sister took my nephew on a Disney cruise (the first she went on after the Carnival attack, 12 years later), and she said there was plenty that she and her son could do together and neither were bored- and she never once had to leave him alone.

I know it's unfortunate that this incident happened and that I am allowing it to affect how I vacation, and I don't judge anyone who leaves their kid alone at the kids camps (though, I do think it's irresponsible to allow kids to be able to check themselves out of camp), it's just not something I would ever do until cruiselines started doing background checks themselves, keep a database of employees that commit crimes and share these with other cruiselines, and start reporting crimes to police onshore so that proper punishments can be handed out. Firing an employee is not justice, especially when they can just get a job on another cruiseline and no one would be the wiser.

Sorry this ended up being a novel and I don't mean to preach- rather share why my point of view on this matter is so, so strong.

This is not even an issue when you vacation as a family. 9 cruises, and my now 12 year old has never seen the inside of a camp.

Nor have we ever passed her off to strangers.

Other. I have enjoyed 5 very nice Carnival cruises, 3 of those have been as a solo traveller. Since I often cruise solo, and since Carnival raised their solo price to 200pc from 150pc, I am now even more motivated to try a different cruiseline. This is not just because of price, but because I like to have a varied travel experience. I dont always like to do the same thing, enjoy the same sorts of travel venues.

I vacation once a year, and that one or two weeks are very valuable to me. I have not yet decided what I will do in 2011, but Carnival will not likely be on my to do list. I will certainly be back on Carnival in the future, but just not the near future. JMHO.:)

I was discussing this with one of my friends that is doing a Disney cruise next year. The cruises with Disney and other more expensive lines look nice but when I weigh the cost I just don't know if it is worth paying an amount that would equal 3 Carnival Cruises for one Disney cruise.

Let me add that I do not have children so I don't know if that would make any difference in my decision.

What do you guys think? Has anyone tried a more expensive line and come back to Carnival or left Carnival for a more expensive line?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Yes and we still cruise Carnival for price only. They have continued to make cuts after cuts. If my DW would switch , I would not cruise them anymore.

The only thing keeping me from trying RCL is all the extra fees on the ship for different dining rooms and such. We thought about trying Norwegian at some point since they've got that new ship the Epic but it is so much more expensive and the reviews were not that great.

I'm torn. I'm sure one day I'll try a different line when I can justify the cost. Kind of line staying at the Bellagio in Vegas the first time and now we stay in a cheapie hotel room when we go.

I think you are totally wrong about the extra costs on RCCL. There are specialty restaurants that charge extra, but I don't think of the main line cruises, even Disney that don't have a specialty restaurant. Other that Oasis and Allure which have several, most have 1 or 2.

You don't have to go to any specialty restaurant. The food in the dining room, as well as pizza, buffet, and the café type restaurants on the Freedom class ships, are all included in your fare. Only Portofino/Chops and Johnny Rockets are extra dining locations.

What other "things" are you talking about on RCCL? Rock-climbing, surfing, ice skating are all included. I'd be interested in knowing what you think is extra that isn't extra on the other lines.

Agree about them being two great lines, but I spent my first RCCL cruise expecting more because I was paying more.

Never happened.

They just charge more.

`All depends on what you expect. I am looking through the Carnival sight to see if I would like to switch from RCCL back to Carnival. At the moment I am a bit aprehensive that we may be disatisfied based of what we have come to expect by Cruising RCCL.

So I guess it can go both ways.

I love Carnival and was very impressed with the first time I sailed with them. It was on Carnival Valor with Captain Claudio Cupisti. The ship was on the 2nd sailing since arriving in the states.

Everyone told me just wait until you try this cruise line and compare the two. Well we did. Recently we sailed on he Oasis of the Seas. Beautiful ship but........... Anyway trying Celebrity Silhouette next November on her first sailing when she arrives at Cape Liberty.

I think the different cruise lines can learn something from each other. Each have good and bad.

I think you are totally wrong about the extra costs on RCCL. There are specialty restaurants that charge extra, but I don't think of the main line cruises, even Disney that don't have a specialty restaurant. Other that Oasis and Allure which have several, most have 1 or 2.

You don't have to go to any specialty restaurant. The food in the dining room, as well as pizza, buffet, and the café type restaurants on the Freedom class ships, are all included in your fare. Only Portofino/Chops and Johnny Rockets are extra dining locations.

What other "things" are you talking about on RCCL? Rock-climbing, surfing, ice skating are all included. I'd be interested in knowing what you think is extra that isn't extra on the other lines.

It isn't a huge difference from other cruise lines but the other dining locations that charge extra does irk me a bit, especially since I know I LOVE Johnny Rockets but would hate to pay $5 extra per person to eat there. Small potatoes I know but it still bothers me. I don't rock climb, ice skate, or surf so that doesn't really make any difference in decision making for a cruise line.

Add on top of that the fact that a 7 night cruise is generally $200 more expensive than CCL and they don't offer a 7 night cruise out of the port closest to me... it kind of kills the deal altogether right now. I will eventually try them at some point, especially if I can find a good deal for them (I like that they offer different itinerarys than CCL for sure) it just is cheaper for me right now to cruise CCL.

Totally agree RCL has more to offer and sometimes at CCL prices.

I can't say they don't exist, but I've never seen a Royal Caribbean cruise selling for less than maybe 25% more than a comparable Carnival Cruise. IMHO the additional features just aren't worth the premium to me.

If I could find a similar Royal Caribbean cruise for 10% more than carnival I'd probably take it.

I book based on itinerary first. If Carnival doesn't have the cruise I want, I would book a more expensive line. If the ports are the same, I'll stick with Carnival. I would like to try Epic even though it is more expensive and it has ports that Carnival goes too.

I guess it just depends on what I am looking for. I would not pay three times as much for Disney to go to the same ports, well maybe if I had kids.

I see no one has mentioned Holland America? We've sailed mostly Carnival - twice on RCCL (thought their ships were really classy) but absolutely LOVE the 10 itinerary on Noordam. When I started crunching the numbers we could do two 7 day B2B on Carnival Liberty for LESS than the 10 on HAL. We really love the itinerary but in addition to the cost I'm a little nervous about the passenger demographics on HAL. We are very young and active 58 and 53 year olds and I'm seriously afraid we'll be bored. Any feedback from HAL cruisers?

If I had money to burn I would try a Seabourn cruise. Otherwise, spending more for a cruise means I get to go less often.

I have a friend who only likes Celebrity so I will pony up the extra money to go with her one of these days.

Other than that I guess I don't know what I'm missing, :p

This is such an interesting question. I like so many of the answers here. I agree with most that it is worth paying more. Here's my story:

I live at a city with a homeport for Carnival. We were cruise virgins on The Holiday and fell in love with cruising. Perfect for me with empty-nest syndrome. Very good price. We couldn't understand why anyone would complain about her. We had bunkbeds and sailed thru the storm of the century, but we loved the experience.

Second cruise was on RCI to Nassau. Reason for that was bc of all the tips I learned here on CC about next-cruise OBC. Our target was Alaska. After examining all the itineraries, we decided on RCI, and glad we did. Reason for liking RCI was small couch in room, thermostat, solarium smoked salmon in the breakfast buffet, much prettier ship. We both felt heads and shoulder over CCL, but yes, we did pay more. No kids.

THird cruise, was to Alaska, again the couch, thermo, solarium, etc. Worth the extra cost IMO.

Fourth cruise, again RCI to New England/Canada. Picked this target bc it was close to ailing relatives and thought we could get "home" if need be.

Fifth cruise, CCL Elation.... Ultra low price, ULTRA pleased. No couch and no thermostat (but was not in room much). Food was very good and entertainment excellent, ship beautiful. Deal breaker, though, this time had smokers in nearby cabin who smoked with door open and in doorway. That is when I learned about smoking in cabin is okay per CCL. To me, this is a fire hazaard, especially when ship gets to rocking and rolling, like it did this last Dec 2010 cruise. If CCL changes that cabin smoking policy, I would consider CCL for a 7 day or longer cruise. But after this last sailing, Nope. I'll pay extra for clean-smelling and safety in my cabin. JMHO.

So, I hope I answered the OP's question. I'm both CCL and RCI cheerleader and plan to sail Carnival, 4day again. I'm also booked for NCI for Hawaii in Dec. Hope this helps.

I see no one has mentioned Holland America? We've sailed mostly Carnival - twice on RCCL (thought their ships were really classy) but absolutely LOVE the 10 itinerary on Noordam. When I started crunching the numbers we could do two 7 day B2B on Carnival Liberty for LESS than the 10 on HAL. We really love the itinerary but in addition to the cost I'm a little nervous about the passenger demographics on HAL. We are very young and active 58 and 53 year olds and I'm seriously afraid we'll be bored. Any feedback from HAL cruisers?

Maybe you should post this on Holland forum. We were the "kids" on our last RCI Jewel during the New Eng/Can C&A sailing last Oct 2010. Wow that was a different experience being Young on board at age 58. LOL. On our last CCL Elation Dec 2010, we were the "old ones" on board. LOL. CCL has a younger crowd on board. IMO. All the power to 'em to have the $$, free time and desire to cruise. I'm trying to talk my 28yo to do just that, but I think he thinks there will be too many "old people" on board. I think the 20ish think that. IMO.

I'm one of the "others". I dont think that its just a price thing for people. I feel that it comes down to what you want in a cruise and what type of people you want to surround yourself with. I like most cruisers.......I love Carnival cruisers!

The only thing keeping me from trying RCL is all the extra fees on the ship for different dining rooms and such. We thought about trying Norwegian at some point since they've got that new ship the Epic but it is so much more expensive and the reviews were not that great.

I'm torn. I'm sure one day I'll try a different line when I can justify the cost. Kind of line staying at the Bellagio in Vegas the first time and now we stay in a cheapie hotel room when we go.

I must admit that your post has mescratching my head.

You don't consider RCI cruises because they have 2 specialty restaurants you have to pay extra for but you'd consider NCL?

NCL ships usually have 10-12 restaurants with about 8 or 9 of them with an extra cost.:confused:

Also CCL has restaurants you pay extra for but you cruise with them??

Bill

I just came to realize that for us, IMO only, we cruise fall/winter bc of DH’s work schedule. So to us, facing cooler temps no matter what, we like RCI bc of the solarium. Also with cool outside temps, we end up sitting in our cabin, enjoying TV, so we want temp control, a frig (forgot to mention that) to store snack items and next-day food excursions goodies and, of course, no neighbor cabin second-hand smoke. I totally understand why people like Carnival with the product and price they offer. Late for me, g/g.

I must admit that your post has mescratching my head.

You don't consider RCI cruises because they have 2 specialty restaurants you have to pay extra for but you'd consider NCL?

NCL ships usually have 10-12 restaurants with about 8 or 9 of them with an extra cost.:confused:

Also CCL has restaurants you pay extra for but you cruise with them??

Bill

See my reply to someone else with a similar inquiry.

It isn't a huge difference from other cruise lines but the other dining locations that charge extra does irk me a bit, especially since I know I LOVE Johnny Rockets but would hate to pay $5 extra per person to eat there. Small potatoes I know but it still bothers me. I don't rock climb, ice skate, or surf so that doesn't really make any difference in decision making for a cruise line.

Add on top of that the fact that a 7 night cruise is generally $200 more expensive than CCL and they don't offer a 7 night cruise out of the port closest to me... it kind of kills the deal altogether right now. I will eventually try them at some point, especially if I can find a good deal for them (I like that they offer different itinerarys than CCL for sure) it just is cheaper for me right now to cruise CCL.

We considered Norwegian since it was a new ship, the rooms looked nicer and got one report of it being an awesome experience. Then I read more reviews on here and people were complaining about room layout, service, food etc... and it wasn't just a few people. I'm sure it is just the fact that it is a new ship and they are working out some of the kinks but I don't want to spend that kind of money and not have a decent time on a vacation. I'll let others experience the growing pains before I try it out myself.

I'm not opposed to trying RCCL it just isn't convenient or cost effective for me right now. I don't see a huge difference between it and Carnival other than price and I know many RCCL fanboys would say there isn't a price difference.

Mainly my question was for more upscale cruises like Holland, Norwegian, Disney etc. This wasn't meant to become a CCL vs. RCCL debate since they are kind of comparing apples to apples.

See my reply to someone else with a similar inquiry.

We considered Norwegian since it was a new ship, the rooms looked nicer and got one report of it being an awesome experience. Then I read more reviews on here and people were complaining about room layout, service, food etc... and it wasn't just a few people. I'm sure it is just the fact that it is a new ship and they are working out some of the kinks but I don't want to spend that kind of money and not have a decent time on a vacation. I'll let others experience the growing pains before I try it out myself.

I'm not opposed to trying RCCL it just isn't convenient or cost effective for me right now. I don't see a huge difference between it and Carnival other than price and I know many RCCL fanboys would say there isn't a price difference.

Mainly my question was for more upscale cruises like Holland, Norwegian, Disney etc. This wasn't meant to become a CCL vs. RCCL debate since they are kind of comparing apples to apples.

I'll go check out your other reply.

Just my opinion but NCL is far from upscale.

Bill

Archived