Gifts for cabin steward

BOAZ5

Has anyone givin an actual item to their cabin steward (in addition to their tip of course)? Was thinking this is pretty common, but wondered what items they would like. Trying to think of something that they may not have readily available. Thanks for any comments!

Extra Cash.

They don't want, nor have room for junk.

They will graciously accept, and toss the stuff.

Check out their Facebook pages. Or, read CUISE CONFIDENTIAL.

All of the ideas involving chocolate & candy sound really nice but not everyone likes chocolate or for health reasons, can't indulge. I think the best present you can give (in addition to cash) is taking the time to write a complimentary note to them or to the hotel director.

Sherri:)

I know I think I read RCCL stop putting candy on the pillows, but giving candy to someone that passes out candy always stuck me as funny. Even still on other lines that still do.

Why not buy some of those tiny little xmas stockings, write your room steward's, waiter's name, etc, on them in glitter pen, and then put the extra money in it. Or take little wrapped gift boxes with the money inside-opening a gift -any gift- is fun on Christmas. JMO

Yes, the $10 boxes and fancy bags to put gift cards and cash into always crack me up. Why waste money that could be included in the tip/gift on wrappings? Wrap it in the daily compass and they will be happy to get it just the same.

Because the employees need the MONEY - that's MAIN reson why they're making the sacrifice to be away from their family for months on end! Talk to some of them, most are only on those ships to support their family's and miss the months away from them.

A little candy or something is fine. I never understand the inevitable mention on these threads about calling cards. If they need to call home the employees can use CASH to do so (or buy their own calling card). Why restrict them to that, let them make the decision. Not to mention you can never be 100% sure that a calling card is going to work for them when and where they are:rolleyes:

And has been mentioned time and time again here, they are living in very small quarters and don't have room or need for "trinkets" from Wisconsin or Montana or wherever................

I guess I'll ask you the same question, How do you know????

Ok Ok, I gave the recommended tip, Now I gave them some extra cash, and I gave them a little more extra cash, and then a little more cash, and I'll through in a $10 bill, and now maybe a $20 bill, guess what I'll even through in a $100 bill, now can I give him a little Key Chain with a HAPPY FACE???? or wouldn't they have anywhere to store it?????:rolleyes:

Why do you all paint them as being destitute and lonely souls? There are those that actually like what they are doing, and that is why they are doing it. Many are well educated and fairly well off, could have a much better paying job, but they a working on a ship for the adventure and experience.:confused:

Why do you all paint them as being destitute and lonely souls? There are those that actually like what they are doing, and that is why they are doing it. Many are well educated and fairly well off, could have a much better paying job, but they a working on a ship for the adventure and experience.:confused:

Give up your "life" for 6 months, and tell us how you feel.

If you want to add something heart felt to your tip, here are a few ideas.

1) A thank you card or letter.

2) Get to know them. Ask about their family. (they miss their family and most love to talk about them)

3) Make a towel animal for them before you depart or have it holding their tip envelope.

4) Ask them if there is something they need.

5) Tell the hotel manager about the great service you received.

Those are some great ideas! I really like the one with the towel animal holding the envelope and the thank you card. Hearing that you've done a good job is a great motivator especially as the contract is nearing the end (I would imagine).

Give up your "life" for 6 months, and tell us how you feel.

I guess you didn't understand what I said, THERE ARE THOSE WHO LIKE WHAT THEY ARE DOING, THEY ARE NOT GIVING UP THEIR LIFE, THEY ENJOY THEIR JOB, don't you understand that???:confused:

I guess you didn't understand what I said, THERE ARE THOSE WHO LIKE WHAT THEY ARE DOING, THEY ARE NOT GIVING UP THEIR LIFE, THEY ENJOY THEIR JOB, don't you understand that???:confused:

As appealing as it may sound...

REPEAT (caps off)

Give up your life for 6 months and see how you feel.

I never said they didn't like what they are doing. But again, go to the source by reading CRUISE CONFIDENTIAL and ALL your questions will be answered.

Or visit your favorite indentured servant on Facebook.

mr pete, i don't have any questions, and reading what you suggest, is the same as cruise critic, i take any of these boards with a grain of salt, and don't believe most of it. by by, notice no caps.;)

Good.

We will consider your posts the same.

(collective we....I'm sure I don't speak for anyone other than myself)

If you want to add something heart felt to your tip, here are a few ideas.

1) A thank you card or letter.

2) Get to know them. Ask about their family. (they miss their family and most love to talk about them)

3) Make a towel animal for them before you depart or have it holding their tip envelope.

4) Ask them if there is something they need.

5) Tell the hotel manager about the great service you received.

Great suggestions. I'd like to add something I do that I read here on CC quite awhile ago -- it's similar to #1 above, but instead of a thank you card or letter it's a personal note on a postcard from where I come from. Along w/their tip and 'extra cash'.

Hmm, better go to the towel animal class if I want to try # 3 out on my next cruise :)

Filling in your comment cards is important.

If you really, really want to do something extra nice for your cabin steward or dining staff, then find out where they are from (it's on their badge) and give them enough extra money to cover the currency exchange to their home country's currency plus 3%.

If you tip in US dollars, then give them an extra 33% to cover the exchange to Euros, for instance. They take a hit on that money when they send it home.

If you really, really want to do something extra nice for your cabin steward or dining staff, then find out where they are from (it's on their badge) and give them enough extra money to cover the currency exchange to their home country's currency plus 3%.

If you tip in US dollars, then give them an extra 33% to cover the exchange to Euros, for instance. They take a hit on that money when they send it home.

Better yet, they should spend their US tip money in the US, they won't have to worry about the exchange rate, and they could send their salery home. How about that, I won't have to worry about figuring a exchange rate into the tips.:rolleyes:

I think the extra cash is great and will definitely be apprciated by the staff & im sure they will deeply appreciate a little gift whatever it may be. Who doesnt want to receive a gift on christmas especially being that they have to work and be away from their family. And I would like to know who some people think they are on here to call what cruisers are thinking about giving is junk, are you staff, have you personally seen a staff toss a gift away , I doubt it. So I think if your giving the mood and want to go the extra mile to give and extra cash tip and little gift go for it.

They are working 16 hour days with about one day off per month, doing the same rote tasks over and over again, and often putting up with high maintenance and sometimes verbally abusive passengers. They share teeny tiny staterooms with no windows (smaller than passenger inside category staterooms); they have minimal privacy and minimal space. I do not think that many of the cabin stewards are doing the job out of enjoyment and they have very minimal time to enjoy adventurous endeavors. It is nothing like being on a cruise ship as a passenger. With all due respect, I think you have a very out-of-touch perspective on the life style the stewards have. I think your intentions are good, but if you truly want to reward them and/or do something nice to them - instead of giving them a non-monetary gift, use the money you were planning to spend on the gift as an extra tip. That will definitely be useful and appreciated by the steward.

I think the extra cash is great and will definitely be apprciated by the staff & im sure they will deeply appreciate a little gift whatever it may be. Who doesnt want to receive a gift on christmas especially being that they have to work and be away from their family. And I would like to know who some people think they are on here to call what cruisers are thinking about giving is junk, are you staff, have you personally seen a staff toss a gift away , I doubt it. So I think if your giving the mood and want to go the extra mile to give and extra cash tip and little gift go for it.

Actually, if you do a search on this board, you will find cruisers who HAVE reported seeing cabin stewards throwing "gifts" into the trash when they think no one is looking.

Last week on the Majesty, I returned to my cabin while my cabin steward was cleaning. I apologized for interrupting his work - he, of course, wanted to leave to give me the use of my cabin, but I assured him that I had just run back for one item.

I remembered the giant tub of peppermint bark on the counter that my roommate had brought. I gave him a big piece, and he practically inhaled it. But he knew that this was hardly in lieu of a regular gratuity - he already knew that I had pre-paid my grats, and he would get at least the suggested amount.

This really has absolutely nothing to do with this topic, but I felt like adding it, because I just treated myself to a White Russian. :D

Actually, if you do a search on this board, you will find cruisers who HAVE reported seeing cabin stewards throwing "gifts" into the trash when they think no one is looking.

Its kind of messed up of the staff really toss out gifts that are given to them by passengers. I guess I was raised to appreciate gifts that you get from other people as they really dont have to give you anything , so be gratful.

My sister worked on a cruise ship for 10 years and not because we were poor, we lived in NJ, lol. (She did like to travel) I am sure she would have liked the extra cash but I am also sure she would have been touched by a little gift. But she was one of a very few because of why she was working on a ship....so I guess cash is the way to go most of the time.;)

Better yet, they should spend their US tip money in the US, they won't have to worry about the exchange rate, and they could send their salery home. How about that, I won't have to worry about figuring a exchange rate into the tips.:rolleyes:

Well, we are talking about "something extra", so helping them with the exchange is a very nice gesture. They have to spend some of their income in their home country, because most of them are working to support their family at home.

Its kind of messed up of the staff really toss out gifts that are given to them by passengers. I guess I was raised to appreciate gifts that you get from other people as they really dont have to give you anything , so be gratful.

Seriously - if you were living in a room (and sharing it besides) that was smaller than an interior cabin, what exactly would you do with all of this cr*p??? Seriously - who needs a collection of cheap mugs, t-shirts, magnets, postcards and the like? If it were given to me, it would go directly into the trash (of course, I would be thanking the giver profusely which is only polite, but it would still go into the trash).

I actually make a large balloon monkey and hang it up in the shower. Of course, it is holding the tip we give in addition to the standard gratuities. The crew usually asks me to make them things once they find out I am the balloon man. Some of them have a “special person” they want to receive a balloon creation. Of course the balloons shrink to nothing in a week or so.

Regards,

RJ

Archived