Do we need shots

24bing48

We are going to cruising on the Coral Princess to the Panama Canal on Jan. 24th. We are very excited about this trip but have one concern that I can't seem to get an answer on. Do we need any shots for yellow fever or malaria before we leave. I will be watching for anyone that has information about this.

Unless you are planning to go WAY off the normal excursion track, you should be fine. None are required for the countries on the itinerary.

We are going to cruising on the Coral Princess to the Panama Canal on Jan. 24th. We are very excited about this trip but have one concern that I can't seem to get an answer on. Do we need any shots for yellow fever or malaria before we leave. I will be watching for anyone that has information about this.

If you needed those shots you'd already be too late in getting them. The answer is no; stop being concerned and have a great cruise.

Howdy,

Good question, I was wondering about that.

Nothing to do with shots....but if you are a regular blood donor

in the US, they might not let you donate for a year.

A deferral as they say for Roatan, Haiti, rural Belize and rural Panama....check

8th question down, on this site:

I've traveled outside the U.S. Can I donate?

Just thought I'd mention it.

:cool::cool:

We are from the UK and were on a Panama Canal full transit in September. We attended a travel clinic in Glasgow prior to the cruise and were advised to get Yellow Fever, Swine Flu, Typhoid/Tetunus. As this clininc is run by the National Health Service I cannot imagine these being recommeded if not required as the only vaccination charged for was the Yellow Fever. As the pevious poster stated blood donation is barred (for a period of 6 months in the UK) after return even although we weren't in a malarial area. Have a great cruise.

We are from the UK and were on a Panama Canal full transit in September. We attended a travel clinic in Glasgow prior to the cruise and were advised to get Yellow Fever, Swine Flu, Typhoid/Tetunus. As this clininc is run by the National Health Service I cannot imagine these being recommeded if not required as the only vaccination charged for was the Yellow Fever. As the pevious poster stated blood donation is barred (for a period of 6 months in the UK) after return even although we weren't in a malarial area. Have a great cruise.

Perhaps UK rules are different, but when you are from and are travelling from the U.S. the only port, (which they are not going to) that requires YF is Devils Island. The YF shot is not just a baby vaccination; it's a major innoculation that a lot of folks cannot get because of other health reasons.

Voluntarily you can take anything you want, but Princess wouldn't even allow you to embark if you didn't have the required shots. And, they would advise you in advance if something was needed.

We are from the UK and were on a Panama Canal full transit in September. We attended a travel clinic in Glasgow prior to the cruise and were advised to get Yellow Fever, Swine Flu, Typhoid/Tetunus. As this clininc is run by the National Health Service I cannot imagine these being recommeded if not required as the only vaccination charged for was the Yellow Fever.
Cruises are generally different than traveling and staying in a country. The reason being that you are there during daylight hours which is when your chances of being bitten are far smaller. Also, in most countries with the potential for illness, tourist areas are continuously monitored and infestation controlled. Unless you are planning on spending time in the jungle, far away from normal tourist areas, you don't need any shots or vaccinations.

While not required, it's a good idea to get the swine flu, flu, shingles, and/or pneumonia shots for your daily life. And, if you take a tour in Panama or Costa Rica, make sure you wear closed shoes. A woman was bitten by a poisonous snake while on a Princess tour a year ago.

Why ask a group of lay people, albeit well meaning Cruise Critic folk, when the CDC lays out the rules and recommendations for you?:)

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/

Indeed. It always baffles me why people who are already online can instantaneously get authoritative answers instead of asking others for possibly unreliable advice, but don't.

Just a (layman's) note: there are no "shots" for malaria, just oral prophy that must be taken before, during, and after possible exposure.

My doctor always recommends hepatitis shots when travelling to the Caribbean.

I won't get into a long story because it's a he-said-she-said thing, and also because my memory is fading, so I'll be brief. About 10 or so years ago a group of about 200 local residents went on a cruise. It was some big promotion a travel agency was doing on a popular radio station. It wasn't a giveaway, but some sort of fundraiser to party with the DJs or something. When they returned a couple dozen were diagnosed with hepatitis (I don't know if it was A or B). Anyways, the local health unit thinks they got it from a beachside bar. The common denominator was the ice cubes.

I guess it can survive on an infected surface for up to 7 days. So if an infected cook or kitchen worker cuts himself, even a tiny cut with a single droplet of blood, and the surface isn't properly disinfected then a week later who knows what's clean and what isn't. In this case they believe it somehow made it's way to the ice cubes.

Well, that's what they think happened. But they couldn't really prove anything with any degree of certainty, I suppose.

My doctor isn't a fear mongerer, he just reminded me of that story, shrugged his shoulders, and said it's not a bad idea.

They recommended these vactinations which does not mean they are required. If they were required they would have told you they were required.

DH and I are finishing off the whole course of shots - Hep A, B Typyhoid booster and Yellow Fever in March for our canal cruise in April. We figure better safe than sorry and besides, we want to do more exotic places in the future. This way, it's all covered for ten years and the Hep for life. The only other thing we would need would Japanese Encephalitis for Asia.

No, shots are not required. It us up to each individual to gauge the risks and rewards.

Archived