Tips on where to spot wild dolphins while on ship

cjmahal

If you want to see dolphins my DH suggests the following...

Get up early in the morning...

Forget your camcorder and/or camera

And make sure no one is around

That is funny! And I'm sure he's seen them on every cruise! ;)

It has been said already, but definitely by the bow of the ship. Admittedly a hard place to see, but generally they will play around and "race" the ship up by the bow. It is also a good place to see hammerhead sharks, as they do the same thing.

Seeing dolphin, porpoises, whales, etc. in the open water is a real matter of luck unless you happen to be in some feeding grounds. They are out there, but as is said, "the ocean is so big, and my boat is so small."

What great pics everyone has posted in this thread. Mands&Ian, that is an awesome sight out your port window. I've only been on four cruises, and seen dolphins only once. Ironically, it was in our stateroom on our first cruise while the ship was still in port. I sat down on the couch, looked out the porthole and saw 4-5 dolphins swimming near the ship. That's it; four cruises later and nada.

• 7 years later...

Hi everyone

Took our first cruise last year to Alaska. Holland America's nieuw amsterdam.crew couldn't do enough for u and the passengers were a mixture of ages and cultures. Fav spot for us being animal lovers was the crows nest. Baby faced porpoises, otters and dolphins. Whales were hard to spot and late into the afternoon the bridge said they'd spotted or as. We travelled late june/july prob the best time for weather. Top tip. Try the pizza bar by the pool. Omg! Delish...

I’ve seen porpoises several times - usually near land - and they seemed to be playing in the bow wave several yards off the side of the ship, fairly far forward - I am inclined to think they would be disturbed by the turbulence of the wake , and would not follow too closely — anyway, iI’ve never seen them there.

Same as previous post, seen them many times, playing in the bow wave, racing alongside the ship and even passing underneath us. Haven't seen them in the wake, but that could be primarily that we don't get the best view astern while on the Bridge.

Hi

Yes they came from the side. It was as tho we'd 'been spotted. Swam alongside for a couple of minutes then disappeared.

Cute!.

Where have you seen them?

Having worked on ships, I have seen them around the ship in many parts of the world.