Smuggling-here we go again!

Mrs. Ram

Ok, so I know that I have read some threads about stricter policies regarding smuggling alcohol but I looked back several pages and couldn't find much info. Let me say that I will not be smuggling because it is not worth the trouble, IMHO. We are, however, going with a large group of family and my brother is insisting that he will be finding a clever way to smuggle some alcohol. So my question is, are they very strict on FOS regarding taking alcohol onboard? Also, I know that some lines allow you to carry a 12-pack of sodas on. Does RCI allow this?! Please, do not flame me:o! I have tried telling my brother that he could be denied boarding if he gets caught trying to smuggle a ton of alcohol. I am hoping he will take my advice and not be obnoxious about it. By obnoxious, I mean not trying to take a ton with him... Thanks for any info that will be helpful!!

If he uses Rum Runners for a pint or two, he probably won't get caught. Even if he does, they'll just confiscate it and that's that.

If he hauls a whole bunch onboard, eh, no telling. Probably won't get denied, but he'll be out a chunk of change for his effort.

Used to be that you could get away with a little soda, but I'm not sure you can do that anymore.

I'm going to go start the popcorn for the ensuing entertainment.... :D

OH Lord, I HOPE this does not start a popcorn worthy conversation! Thanks for the info. Just for future people that feel the need to lecture, I am simply looking for information from people that have experience with carrying on alcohol or soda and it being confiscated or not. I am a mother and I don't need a scolding or lecturing. I am also a Daughter so I have received enough of that in my day...please spare me if you get the urge;):D! TIA :p

Please show your brother this thread. RCI will most likely confiscate his stash and his luggage will end up in the naughty room. He will have to go down and open his suitcase in front of security. They will remove it. He will probably NOT get his alcohol back even at the end of the cruise.

In my experience, Rum Runners have worked well. However, a lot has to do with the Port and the ship. Personally, I have no trouble using the Rum Runners in Port Canaveral or Tampa but I don't know how strict they are in other ports.

As for sodas...I have always packed V-8, Tomato Juice and Sodas in my checked luggage and I have never had a problem even though those suitcases have been checked. I even saw people in October simply putting a luggage tag on a 12 pack of Coke and having it delivered with their luggage to their stateroom. But again...that was in Tampa.

As far as I know, they are only available on line. We've had no problems using them, but we boarded in Barcelona where there is a duty free after check in! Bought some "supplies" and walked right on with them in the carry on.

Check out the rum runner website (google rum runners) to see if they are available in any stores.

Enjoy your trip!

Relax, I was just on FOS for the week of Thanksgiving. This is how it worked for me--I used a soft sided rolling cooler that also had an extended pull handle just like most luggage. The cooler was the perfect size to fit through the security scanner. When my husband placed it on the belt the security person asked what was in the cooler and my husband simply stated that there were just some drinks but no ice. No one bothered to look inside. A few years ago when we had sailed Disney I did the same thing but security did look inside and simply passed it on through and said that they had seen nothing. At Port Canaveral, security does not work for the cruise lines, just make sure you have no ice in the cooler. Happy Sailing!!

Relax, I was just on FOS for the week of Thanksgiving. This is how it worked for me--I used a soft sided rolling cooler that also had an extended pull handle just like most luggage. The cooler was the perfect size to fit through the security scanner. When my husband placed it on the belt the security person asked what was in the cooler and my husband simply stated that there were just some drinks but no ice. No one bothered to look inside. A few years ago when we had sailed Disney I did the same thing but security did look inside and simply passed it on through and said that they had seen nothing. At Port Canaveral, security does not work for the cruise lines, just make sure you have no ice in the cooler. Happy Sailing!!

Only half true. When you enter the terminal, you will go through security be fore checking in. Those folks DO NOT work for the cruise line. After you check in you will go through security again as you board the ship. Those folks DO work for RCI and that is where your booze will be confiscated

Thanks OGCFreddie! Do you know if there are any stores that sell rum runners?! Doubt we will have time to have them delivered since we leave this weekend!
Sorry, Semper. The only place I know to get them is runrunnerflasks.com . I'm sure they have overnight shipping you can pay for, but I don't know if they would reach you before your ship departs. At least you can tell your brother that you tried.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise and that you have calm seas, tropical temps. and an experience to remember. Have fun and don't sweat the small stuff. It just ain't worth it! Happy cruising!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Try any store with camping equipment. they are some times reffered to as bladder bags or water bags. I have seen them at RLI, Dicks and Sports authority. Not sure if they work or not. I have cruised on Carnival in the past and had a bottle delivered to my cabin. Did not even finish it on board.

I'd let him do what he wants to do and suffer the consequences for his own actions.:)

I don't think you will have an issue taking a 12 pack of soda or water onboard. It is only when pax start using hand trucks to wheel their soda and water onboard that things get a bit hairy.;)

Thank you everyone for the entertainment!!:D My brother was quite amused by the responses! We can't wait to get on the ship and my brother can't wait to hit the bottle:rolleyes::eek:! He is a Marine also, so what do you expect?!:rolleyes::p

Thank you everyone for the entertainment!!:D My brother was quite amused by the responses! We can't wait to get on the ship and my brother can't wait to hit the bottle:rolleyes::eek:! He is a Marine also, so what do you expect?!:rolleyes::p

As long as your brother knows what could happen and is willing to try, then don't you worry about it. Just down the road from you in Beaufort. Have a bumper sticker on my truck that reads, "Not as Lean, twice as mean, always a Marine." Reitred Civil Service at Cherry Point.

Phil

I have tried telling my brother that he could be denied boarding if he gets caught trying to smuggle a ton of alcohol. !

I suggest you put your energy into planning YOUR cruise and let your brother plan for his cruise as he so desires.

Archived