Smuggling-here we go again!

Mrs. Ram

Please show your brother this thread. RCI will most likely confiscate his stash and his luggage will end up in the naughty room. He will have to go down and open his suitcase in front of security. They will remove it. He will probably NOT get his alcohol back even at the end of the cruise.

Do you know someone that had this happen to them, or is this hearsay?

Personally, I've been on many cruises and always put bottles in the checked luggage (wrapped well so they don't break) and they always make it. So I'd guess 12 cruises, 2-4 bottles in suitcases each time, and they've always made it.

A few times, I've put in a case or two of caffeine-free soda and beer, and they've always made it too. Carnival and NCL. It makes me think that stories about liquor being confiscated from checked luggage is an urban myth.

Personally, I've been on many cruises and always put bottles in the checked luggage (wrapped well so they don't break) and they always make it. So I'd guess 12 cruises, 2-4 bottles in suitcases each time, and they've always made it.

A few times, I've put in a case or two of caffeine-free soda and beer, and they've always made it too. Carnival and NCL. It makes me think that stories about liquor being confiscated from checked luggage is an urban myth.

It's not urban myth. It happens all the time. When was the last time you sailed on RCI. They have become very strict since about the beginning of 2010.

If you read these boards you would not be asking where I get my information. Search "naughty room" and you will find quite a few threads.

It's not urban myth. It happens all the time. When was the last time you sailed on RCI. They have become very strict since about the beginning of 2010.

April 2010 on Carnival and November 2010 on NCL. Never been on RCI.

And when did it happen to you or someone you know? Do you have any specific details so that we on this message board can learn from your experiences?

April 2010 on Carnival and November 2010 on NCL. Never been on RCI.

And when did it happen to you or someone you know? Do you have any specific details so that we on this message board can learn from your experiences?

There are lots of details posted here.

As suggested, do a search on "naughty room".

Ok, so I know that I have read some threads about stricter policies regarding smuggling alcohol but I looked back several pages and couldn't find much info. Let me say that I will not be smuggling because it is not worth the trouble, IMHO. We are, however, going with a large group of family and my brother is insisting that he will be finding a clever way to smuggle some alcohol. So my question is, are they very strict on FOS regarding taking alcohol onboard? Also, I know that some lines allow you to carry a 12-pack of sodas on. Does RCI allow this?! Please, do not flame me:o! I have tried telling my brother that he could be denied boarding if he gets caught trying to smuggle a ton of alcohol. I am hoping he will take my advice and not be obnoxious about it. By obnoxious, I mean not trying to take a ton with him... Thanks for any info that will be helpful!!
He knows the rules if he breaks them gets caught and doesn't get his alcohol back thats his problem. You told him and he still persists oh well"I told you"....

OH Lord, I HOPE this does not start a popcorn worthy conversation! Thanks for the info. Just for future people that feel the need to lecture, I am simply looking for information from people that have experience with carrying on alcohol or soda and it being confiscated or not. I am a mother and I don't need a scolding or lecturing. I am also a Daughter so I have received enough of that in my day...please spare me if you get the urge;):D! TIA :p

Semperfiwife-

Ok my experience on two RCI cruises 2010. The first, after reading their scary policy,

I just packed a few bottles of H20 that I was willing to loose if they searched my bag. Well being that we invertantly passes the curb check in and went straight through the port security, we carried our bag on straight to our cabin. The bag went through an Xray machine, but not searched, only because they do not have the man power, and homeland security doesn't care about RCI policies!! There were people across the hall from us who packed an entire bags of wine, beer, soda, and water. They had no problems bringing it on or sharing!!!

The second time we descretely packed 1/2 pint and airplane bottles, in ziplocks and put in socks, then shoes so they would not break. As my friend drinks vodka, she filled small water bottles. We carried our bags on board, and had no problems. We didn't even

have problems witha our cabin people, as they were there for us!! Just as long as he's not brining the entire bar and not be poring drinks at the pool, it won't be aproblem!! As far as how much he drinks, well...that you guys get to deal with!! Have fun and don't worry!!

Wow, last RCI cruise we went on in 2009 we were allowed at least a bottle of wine per person (no liquor or beer), now nothing! crimeny! Not that I am a wine snob, but there are certain wines that I love and I do not see them on RCI's wine list...last April (2010) we brought a case and a half (between all 6 of us) of wine...absolutely no problem with Princess Cruise...they got their $15 bottle fee for each bottle at dinner plus us buying all our fruity drinks and liquor drinks...RCI should follow suit, in my humble opinion.

Does anyone know how strict they are at Bayonne NJ.

I have the same question about Ft. Lauderdale

We have a couple of small rum runners for DH for Gin and Tonics and I'm planning on bringing some wine in a bag. Will adding a bottle or two of tonic give away the gin stashed in the rr's?

My expierience the crackdown on wine bottles started in early 2009. Personally lost three expensive bottles on the west coast and couldn't get them back, although I begged. I've seen similiar crackdown on the east coast although normally I've seen or heard the bottles are returned the last night, although there is no guarantee this will happen. I met a woman last cruise who said she had a bottle in checked bag that didn't make it, but her roommates did. she was called to the naughty room. I bring an 8 pack of water onboard every cruise and its usally sealed so they know I didn't put anything else in it and I get my water delivered just fine. I wish they would let us bring one bottle on board to enjoy in our cabin.

As far as I know, they are only available on line. We've had no problems using them, but we boarded in Barcelona where there is a duty free after check in! Bought some "supplies" and walked right on with them in the carry on.

Check out the rum runner website (google rum runners) to see if they are available in any stores.

Enjoy your trip!

we boarded in Barcelona where there is a duty free after check in! Bought some "supplies" and walked right on with them in the carry on.

Now that should be in the Top Ten list of things to know. Thanks for the Info

i ended up in the naughty room after my 16 ounce water bottle was detected in my checked luggage. they just saw the bottle and did not know what it contained. had to stand in line with about 300 other naughty passengers. my water bottle did contain malibu, and it was taken from me, but the whole point is, if it was just water, i'd still have to stand in the naughty room line for 2 hours just to get my luggage.:confused:

on Mariner in Los Angeles...

I packed rum runners (wrapped in large zip locs, tucked in shoes w/ socks wrapped around) and a bladder from a wine box (also wrapped in a large zip loc & wrapped in my sarong in middle of my checked bag) No problems.

Idiot brother tried to board w/ 2 huge bottles of booze in his carry on--needless to say he didn't make it past the first security check point w/ those at the ports! Straight into the trash!:eek:

So sad--on Princess we packed a bottle of gin & one of limoncello in checked bags w/o issue, and carried on 6 packs of soda plus a liter of tonic on with us.

(big deal for drinkers of Pepsi products since cruise lines are all Coke land! ESPECIALLY since there is no Mountain Dew equivalent by Coke)

It was nice to have that wine since a basic Chardonnay was 10/glass w/ tip on the ship (that box ran me 10!) Of course our bar bill really wasn't any cheaper than on any other cruise--funny, our cruise tab is nearly the same on every cruise!

Tampa - Radiance - December 2 - 2010, we had three pieces of luggage held - one had three sealed 1 liter water bottles - one had a thick hard cover book (about the size of a 1.5 liter wine box) We couldn't figure out WHAT had triggered the third piece; but although we went down right after muster, as advised by our room steward, since the line would only get longer, we still wasted nearly two valuable hours, and had to haul the heavy bags to our cabin, looking like "naughty" people, instead of exploring the ship. Most people were behind us and missed sailaway and the early evening. Seemed as though I spent the next morning doing what normally takes half an hour of unpacking because of the confusion.

Having already gone through this once in Ft Lauderdale with a real box of wine, would never have done it again. Just not worth it to me - Many passengers in the line had only water and were allowed to keep it; but we saw lots of confiscated liquor. If in original and unopened bottles, it was returned at end of cruise, along with irons et al. If in Rumrunners, it was GONE!!!

So, on that date, for that ship, in that port, security was very tight. (oversensitive!!)

I DO think if something is questionable, you should CARRY it on, the suspense is over, and you won't waste the beginning of your cruise in the security room.

I am not sure how RCCL checks the luggage. My sister and I were staying in the same cabin. She smuggled on a plastic 750ml bottles and had no problems. I, on the other hand, had 6 bottles of water, 5 of which were water and 1 was vodka. I waited until 7pm for my luggage to be delivered (my sister was unpacked and dressed for dinner) but no one could tell me where it was. Finally the room steward told me about the "naughty room". Sure enough there was my luggage. Security opened it...I had a 5 out of 6 of not getting caught. Bingo! I was lucky, he opened the water! But to be honest, I am not sure it is worth sweating it out.

I did see at Total Wines they sell "Shots in a Bag". They are single shots plastic bags filled with "beverages". They may be a little easier!

Hmmm - there you go - it's a crap shoot - luck of the draw - as posted above, (while I was furiously writing MY personal experience) - who knows - can it vary from port to port? - I think so - we had unopened wine in a carry on when we cross decked from one ship to another - in Miami, were just waved through, although DH told them he had it. Next time - same Radiance cruise, as described in my prior post, they were busy making me pour water from my stainless steel water bottle as it was an "open container", and DH couldn't get their attention to tell them about the wine in his carry on. He just didn't want to leave it in hot car and plan was to

turn it in and get it back at end of the cruise.

I have cruised out of Galveston several times without any problems. I have always taken my spirits aboard. I used to take the bottle wrapped in bubble wrap to protect it but switched to RR when I found out about them several years ago.

In October I was on the MOTS sailing out of San Pedro (Los Angeles) and had no problems with my rum runners in all of our luggage. One idea I saw on CC was to put small RRs in the pockets of your baggy cargo shorts. I decided to try this on the MOTS. I had two 16 oz RR, one in each front pocket and walked through security and onto the ship without any problems. Since they are plastic, they did not set off any alarms. It works.

While it is true there are postings on CC of pax getting caught including those that were using RR, the number not getting caught is way higher. To say you will get caught is a gross exaggeration. They do not throw pax off the ship for bringing alcohol aboard. They simply take it when they find it which is not often. Put it in your checked luggage increasing your chances of getting it aboard. Use the RR because they do not have a definite outline on the baggage scanner displays making them harder to detect. Bottle shapes set off bells.

RR are also available on amazon.com - what isn't! RR ships quickly. Both of the orders I have entered online showed up a couple of days later. What a speedy service they offer. Go to their website as it is interesting reading. They can be found at rum runner flasks dot com (take out the blank spaces).

After serving as an army officer and working in the business world, the so-called naughty room is not intimidating in the least. As Kenny Rogers sang "know when to hold them and know when to fold them".

Archived