Balcony Question - Solstice Class

Tender Lee

I take several of those stick on LED lights (they are cheap, and everywhere) and stick it to the mirror behind my head in bed. They often come in packs of two or three.........last a couple of cruises each. I find book lights give me a headache they are so intense.

Have a great cruise.

Thank you everyone for the answer to my question and your suggestions. I will purchase a booklite.

This had to be a design flaw, though if it was why would they not correct it after on the next ship built after the Solstice?

This may not have been a design flaw, but rather a decision made by Celebrity to eliminate the balcony lighting. I remember reading some cruisers were unable to get to sleep because of lights shining into their room from neighboring balconies. There are drapes that can be closed, though, right? Although I would admit I like to sleep with the drapes open, because I love to wake up to the sun rising. Perhaps there is another more important reason why lights on balconies at night are a distraction.

This may not have been a design flaw, but rather a decision made by Celebrity to eliminate the balcony lighting. I remember reading some cruisers were unable to get to sleep because of lights shining into their room from neighboring balconies. There are drapes that can be closed, though, right? Although I would admit I like to sleep with the drapes open, because I love to wake up to the sun rising. Perhaps there is another more important reason why lights on balconies at night are a distraction.

Yes. Good answer.

I have mixed feelings on the lack of lights. I have had the people next to my cabin keep them on all night. If you are eating outside it is nice to have some light.

We take some battery operated tea lights or candles with us. They provide soft, romantic lighting for eating or having a drink on the verandah in the evening. :)

IMHO the biggest design flaw on S class ships was eliminating the T-Pool! What in the world were they thinking :eek:

$$$$$$$

Cutting out the lights saves installation and maintaining them, save electricity ( many people forget to turn them off when not on the Balcony), reduces complaints from neighbors of those people. Eliminating the T-pool means more revenue producing space, less equipment to maintain, also eliminates a Spa Competitor. Always comes down to the point on the accountant's pencil......

I agree with the point about saving $$ at every turn. But the T-pool was replaced with another pool that, while nice looking, is just nowhere near as relaxing and pleasurable, so I don't see how it saves them money or makes a space to generate more. That is what is so frustrating. I think it would have been fairly easy for them to add it to ships built after Solstice when they got so many complaints about it missing.

Archived