Need Help Fast - I think I screwed up!!

dasey

You might want to look at the layout of the two ships before making a final decision. I've read reviews from people doing Alaska on the Star who said that there's very few public viewing areas inside and that standing outdoors for long periods of time isn't always desirable. They wouldn't do Alaska on the Star again, although they'd cruise her for other destinations.

Evidently the Star's top observation lounge was removed to make suites there instead. I haven't been on the Star so can't speak to that, but it

might be something you want to find out about before making up your mind.

Also, compare the two itineraries. Personally I think the Pearl's is better for what you'll see.

Although not on NCL for Alaska, we did roundtrip Seattle and liked it.

Personally, I would keep the Vancouver reservation. I have left from both Vancouver and Seattle and prefer Vancouver.

Because of the Jones Act, any foreign flagged ship can not start and end in a US port without stopping in a foreign port. Therefore, Alaskan cruises leaving from Seattle need to stop in Victoria or some other Canadian port. While not awful, this and the fact that Seattle is further south usually reduces your time in Alaska and isn't that what you are going to see.

Can you rent a car in the U.S. and drop off in Canada? I would look into that, many car companies charge extra fees for not dropping off at the place of rental. The train station is very close to the departure port in Vancouver probably a $10 - 15 cab ride. The train station is also the bus station in Vancouver if you can come Greyhound. My preferred choice would be the Quick Coach and is only a few dollars more than the train.

Thanks soo much for all the help, after looking at all the options, I think we will rent a car ($170 with taxes) and take our time and drive. I will need to do more research but rebooking for Pearl is $1200 more per cabin. We will make it another adventure but take our time and see what happens. There are 4 of us (2 cabins) so $2400 vs $200 is a no brainer. I would love to do the glacier bay some day. Now, if you have any suggestions on hotels or other info I might need please let me know. I just love you all for your help..

I've done Priceline twice for hotels in Vancouver and been very happy with them. I hear many have done the same in Seattle.

Wave to my son just before you get to the border crossing - he just bought a house in Blaine (that's the city at the border)

the morning amtrak (like 7:30 am) is great--beautiful view--from seattle to vancouver--the other trips during the day are all on busses with suosedly long waits at the border--but not one the early am amtrak; we did the train in from seatle airport, walked to the ramada inn; then grabbed a quick cab to amtrak in the am, and had a great ride--easy subway ride from amtrak station in vancouver to canada place--best of luck-grams98

According to the Port of Vancouver Cruise ship's Schedule for May 14 2011,there are 4 cruise ships in port.

Docked at Canada Place are: Zuiderdan, Sapphire Princess and Golden Princess, the Norweigan Star is dock at Ballantyne Pier , about a mile or so further east.

stubborn peke- how far away are the two piers? 3 ships at one pier seems like chaos, so am I glad that NCL is at another pier with only one ship??

I will wave as we pass by, golden egg!!

I agree as well.You also get to go to Glacier Bay on the Pearl.

Being it's so early in season is there a possibllity of being iced out of Glacier Bay?

Bill

Nope, Glacier Bay does NOT "ice out". It is always viewable.

Thanks soo much for all the help, after looking at all the options, I think we will rent a car ($170 with taxes) and take our time and drive. I will need to do more research but rebooking for Pearl is $1200 more per cabin. We will make it another adventure but take our time and see what happens. There are 4 of us (2 cabins) so $2400 vs $200 is a no brainer. I would love to do the glacier bay some day. Now, if you have any suggestions on hotels or other info I might need please let me know. I just love you all for your help..

'what I frequently do is overnight in Bellingham, which is cheap. 2 hours from Seattle, so allows touring time on the drive. Can detour through Everett take the ferry to Whibey Island and drive Deception Pass. Loops back to Bellingham. Overnight, then with an early start, by 9am- you likely have little wait at the border, then some touring time for Vancouver.

You might want to look at the layout of the two ships before making a final decision. I've read reviews from people doing Alaska on the Star who said that there's very few public viewing areas inside and that standing outdoors for long periods of time isn't always desirable. They wouldn't do Alaska on the Star again, although they'd cruise her for other destinations.

Evidently the Star's top observation lounge was removed to make suites there instead. I haven't been on the Star so can't speak to that, but it

might be something you want to find out about before making up your mind.

Also, compare the two itineraries. Personally I think the Pearl's is better for what you'll see.

Although not on NCL for Alaska, we did roundtrip Seattle and liked it.

Yes, it is true, the Star did loose its wonderful front lounge. BUT, the upper outside front deck is FAR superior to the Pearl's which is one of the crappiest sailing Alaska. I have been on both ships in Alaska. This trip will offer you a great time. :)

Can you rent a car in the U.S. and drop off in Canada? I would look into that, many car companies charge extra fees for not dropping off at the place of rental. The train station is very close to the departure port in Vancouver probably a $10 - 15 cab ride. The train station is also the bus station in Vancouver if you can come Greyhound. My preferred choice would be the Quick Coach and is only a few dollars more than the train.

Yes, one way car rentals are certainly available, I list the companies above. If coming into Seatac, a cab also has to be added for the Amtrak station of about $35, if you can't manage the Light rail- which requires packing light and no mobility limitations.

stubborn peke- how far away are the two piers? 3 ships at one pier seems like chaos, so am I glad that NCL is at another pier with only one ship??

About a mile away from Canada Place. If your standing on the observation deck at Canada Place and there is a cruise ship at Ballantye you can see the funnel.

You would have to take a taxi there, not really viable for trying to walk in.

NCL dropped Vancouver as a regular Schedule Alaska departure port in 2010,( the Norwegian Sun use to do weekly departure,) and the Star and Pearl would come north on their reposition to Vancouver and then do a one nighter to Seatte for their regular run.

Look like this year the reposition north bound stop in Vancouver then to Alaska and then Seattle to start regular service.

I guess it depends on what you're planning on doing. We've stayed in downtown Vancouver hotels, walked all around Robson Street for dinner and shopping and then walked to the ship in the morning. The other pier isn't walkable so you'll need a cab if you stay in Vancouver overnight.

We love to go to Granville Island in Vancouver. We never have a car so we go by bus. Lots of quaint little shops and street entertainment.

Driving from Seattle to Vancouver on I5 is a very easy drive - nearly a straight shot. We have a pretty good am and pm rush hour so if you drive thru the city during those hours expect delays. Expect delays at the border. Take a good map - on the freeway will be a sign saying how long each crossing takes - it might be better to get off the freeway and try one of the other crossings.

Probably TMI but there are 3 rest stops just off the freeway along the way. Usually well marked. You'll see plenty of signs for Starbucks if you need caffeine. Oh, yeah - the rest stops are usually manned for free coffee and cookies (donations expected)

About a mile away from Canada Place. If your standing on the observation deck at Canada Place and there is a cruise ship at Ballantye you can see the funnel.

You would have to take a taxi there, not really viable for trying to walk in.

NCL dropped Vancouver as a regular Schedule Alaska departure port in 2010,( the Norwegian Sun use to do weekly departure,) and the Star and Pearl would come north on their reposition to Vancouver and then do a one nighter to Seatte for their regular run.

Look like this year the reposition north bound stop in Vancouver then to Alaska and then Seattle to start regular service.

Hey Jack!

Just wanted to say hello! Happy New Year! Thanks for your message the other day. Hope you received mine. Take care.

Linda

Even without Glacier Bay there are fabulous sites to see on this trip. Go to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. Your best value is to jump on one of the shuttle busses going there - much cheaper than the ship's excursion.

The highlight in Skagway is the White Pass railroad. Since you're going early in the season there will be lots of snow at the top - so beautiful.

If someone forgets a coat they sell some pretty decent ones in the port shops for about $20.00.

Take a tour of the Star's relaxation area. They sell a weekly pass and we loved it. Incredible views, a private pool and hot tub. It was our favorite place on the ship.

Most of all - HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!!!

Good luck to you :) Hope you solve your problem....looks like there are roundtrip from Seattle on the Pearl and the Star...looks like there is one that leaves May 15th 2011 on the Pearl.

Thank you for all your responses. I looked at car rentals and with 4 of us, this may be the way to go. Just an added expense that I did not plan for. I wondered why the Star had such a better price for this sailing as opposed to the Pearl for the 15th sailing. No worries though, as you mentioned, we could always cancel and rebook.. I really appreciate all of you for your inputs..:)

Thanks Everyone! I did look at hotels in Billingham and that is a very viable option. I think we will go that route and then drive on into Vancouver early in the morning and hopefully see some of the town before boarding.

You have all been very helpful, and I am now very excited after starting out depressed and nervous after booking.

Last night, I dreamt that I forgot my passport and my DH went to Alaksa without me:(

Thanks Everyone! I did look at hotels in Billingham and that is a very viable option. I think we will go that route and then drive on into Vancouver early in the morning and hopefully see some of the town before boarding.

You have all been very helpful, and I am now very excited after starting out depressed and nervous after booking.

Last night, I dreamt that I forgot my passport and my DH went to Alaksa without me:(

wow get all those dreams out of the way so you can start having really happy thoughts and dreams.

Nita

Archived