Need Help Fast - I think I screwed up!!

dasey

I booked with NCL today for a May 14th Alaska sailing. I specifically told the PVP i wanted to leave from Seattle and return to Seattle. She said I understand, I prefer that to BUT after making the reservation, i had to go to work and did not review the reservation unitl now and this sailing leaves from Vancouver!! What should I do, cancel? How can I get to Vancouver? is it a hassle?? please help, I am just sick. I should have went to website and check but the PVP caught me going out the door. I can cancel with a 100% refund, so she said...

:confused:

There is no serious problem. Just call and tell the PCP what happened. Worst case scenario, they will cancel and just re-book the cruise you need! Your cruise rewards certificate or deposit (whichever way that you booked) will just transfer to the new booking if they have to do it that way :) Hope you love your cruise!!

Thanks for easing my mind!! I am trying to get some info on how to get form Sea to Van. It might be fun to do a road trip but I'm still a little disappointed with PCP for misleading me.. Again thank you!!

You will need your passport at the border, or at least the single-card version that now comes with passport renewal or origination. Used to be a driver's license was enought.

FYI, the card does not come with the passport when you renew...it is $30 extra.

Thank you for all your responses. I looked at car rentals and with 4 of us, this may be the way to go. Just an added expense that I did not plan for. I wondered why the Star had such a better price for this sailing as opposed to the Pearl for the 15th sailing. No worries though, as you mentioned, we could always cancel and rebook.. I really appreciate all of you for your inputs..:)

The road trip from Sea to Van is very easy - about 2 1/2 hours due north - very manageable with beautiful scenery. Good luck!

I picked a bad day to take that trip. There was a bad accident and we were slowed to a crawl for miles. It really ticked me off when I discovered the accident was in the other direction of travel. Other than that is was an easy trip

Look into ferries, they have them leaving several times a day from Seattle,

no car rental pick-up or return to worry about, just relax and enjoy the scenery. We went to Victoria after our last Alaska cruise that way and it was great. We used Blackball Ferry, there are others though just search Seattle ferries. Plus, as an extra bonus you don't have to worry about traffic.

Thank you for all your responses. I looked at car rentals and with 4 of us, this may be the way to go. Just an added expense that I did not plan for. I wondered why the Star had such a better price for this sailing as opposed to the Pearl for the 15th sailing. No worries though, as you mentioned, we could always cancel and rebook.. I really appreciate all of you for your inputs..:)

Depending on the price difference, I'd probably cancel the Star and take the Pearl. Less hassle. Nicer ship. Better public space, especially since Star was remodeled. JMHO.

If you are still within 24 hours of your original reservations/payment time frame as you are reading this, you can cancel and rebook at no extra charges, even if it's non-refundable/final payment for last minute crusing (which this isn't) - NCL or your agent should be able to do this for you. Just call them ASAP and get it resolved.

Prices for the NCL Star itn. out of Seattle is better because of the various taxes, fees & surcharges for the Pearl out of YVR are much higher. We took our Alaska cruise in 08 on the Star and it was one of the best & scenic ones that we've ever taken, the beauty & memories will last a lifetime - excellent crew on the ship & services, etc. Too much to do but too little time in the ports - we will go back again soon.

Just a word or two on planning, Alaska is wet - dress warm in layers, and rain gears a must. It's usually sunny as they've shown in the pics - and you will have a great time being prepared.

no car rental pick-up or return to worry about, just relax and enjoy the scenery. We went to Victoria after our last Alaska cruise that way and it was great. We used Blackball Ferry, there are others though just search Seattle ferries. Plus, as an extra bonus you don't have to worry about traffic.

I don't think there's direct ferry service between Seattle and Vancouver. If you can find one, please let me know, because that would be fantastic! Otherwise, I believe you'd have to get to Victoria and then swith to an entirely different ferry service (at a different location) to get to Vancouver.

Sorry, you do not know what you are talking about. It would require two ferries and TIME. A very poor plan, unless you plan on spending time on Vancouver Island.

The road trip from Sea to Van is very easy - about 2 1/2 hours due north - very manageable with beautiful scenery. Good luck!

You need to allow for 4 hours. Border delays are a given. Add the no freeway in Vancouver, and all stop and go traffic.

I booked with NCL today for a May 14th Alaska sailing. I specifically told the PVP i wanted to leave from Seattle and return to Seattle. She said I understand, I prefer that to BUT after making the reservation, i had to go to work and did not review the reservation unitl now and this sailing leaves from Vancouver!! What should I do, cancel? How can I get to Vancouver? is it a hassle?? please help, I am just sick. I should have went to website and check but the PVP caught me going out the door. I can cancel with a 100% refund, so she said...

:confused:

You do need to come in a day early, unless you can get a flight that gets you in by 10 am?? Even then, you will have to be VERY well organized.

You have several options for a Seattle/Vancouver transfer. Amtrak- will require 2 cabs, or if packing light, can use the Lightrail and Sky Train. Quick Shuttle, that does have Seatac pick up and direct to Canada Place. One way rental car. You will want DOWNTOWN Vancouver drop off, I have rented from Avis, Alamo, National, and Budget. There is also Hertz. I walk to each of the downtown offices, but I have NO mobility limitations and drop off first. The closest is Avis. There may be a Canada Place drop off available as well. Have a GOOD downtown Vancouver map, as people get lost. :) and signs aren't the best. :) It is city driving, all stop and go.

Last cheap gas fill up will be at Blaine, so top off there. There are a few gas stations you will pass by in Vancouver, when you first get off the freeway, but none on the route later, near Canada Place, that are easy to get to .

A feature of your cruise, hopefully you are aware of, is, if you have Tracy Arm, you are NOT likely to get any glacier viewing. IF it is important to you, then you need to consider some other tour that will give you this priority.

The Star is an older and smaller ship than the Pearl. That could be one reason and cruising out of Vancourver is usually cheaper because air to get there is higher. One offsets the other. I have been on both ships and prefer the Pearl, but that is just a personal opinion.

NIta

When we went from SEA to Vancouver we looked at train, car, coach bus. My preference would have been Amtrak (due to scenery) but I've been burned by them before and the backup plan with them didn't leave much room for error. I spent a lot of time trying to decide, but we did the coach. We took one of the earlier departures and there were a couple after that time that would still get you there on time if problems arose. Best to pre-book if you go that route.

We decided on Quick Coach and it will pick you up at various locations around Seattle and drop off at either pier in Vancouver (as well as some other locations). The ride was scenic most of the way although it probably would be a bit quicker to drive yourself as we had a couple pick-up stops on the way.

Customs was pretty painless, they had a spot for the buses and it wasn't all too busy so we all got off the bus, went through the line and moving again in around 20 minutes. We were at the far away pier (not Canada Place) so that area is more restricted as far as access but the bus pulled up and we walked a few feet to drop off luggage and on the ship.

If it were me I'd cancel and rebook the Pearl.

Getting to Vancouver can be an expensive option. Amtrak is out unless you come in the day before because they leave so early. That leaves Quick Shuttle or driving. Vancouver has horrible traffic as well as possible delays at the border. My bus got stuck at the border for 2 hours on our last trip.

Pearl's itinerary is far superior as was already posted. The trip to Glacier Bay is spectacular. The Star doesn't list any glacier cruising. If you go on the Star you'll miss this:

2461444420104013758S600x600Q85.jpg

And this:

2308119080104013758S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks soo much for all the help, after looking at all the options, I think we will rent a car ($170 with taxes) and take our time and drive. I will need to do more research but rebooking for Pearl is $1200 more per cabin. We will make it another adventure but take our time and see what happens. There are 4 of us (2 cabins) so $2400 vs $200 is a no brainer. I would love to do the glacier bay some day. Now, if you have any suggestions on hotels or other info I might need please let me know. I just love you all for your help..

Archived