Text messaging aboard ship???

Hello! Have a teenager that is crazy about text messaging. We are going on Liberty of the Sea mediteranean cruise in August. Does anyone know i it is "pssible" to text mesage in the mediteranean or not? Thanks in advance for your input and hel Mikil

We are cruising the Majesty this weekend. I called AT&T today and got info that I still don't understand. He said to turn my data roaming off and that if I called from LAND in port, that it was $2.29/minute. He also said that if I text, there is no charge with my plan, but if someone texts me, then THEY will be charged. Makes no sense to me. I'm going to plan on checking in at home once a day and turning my phone OFF just to be safe.

Just paying bills from last month. Have my cell phone bill in front of me. I have one text the says "Maritime Services" 3 from Aruba, 1 from Caribbean listed on my bill. All text were at .50 each message. Also had a $1.30 charge for a "picture" that I sent.

You need to contact your provider since they are all a little different. Here is a good link for you.

http://www.cellularatsea.com/

Usually texts are 50 cents to send and 5 cents to receive. Calls made on the ship are $2.49/minute. Ports vary so you will need to check those individually. I have Verizon and needed to activate International Dialing before I left. It was free to activate. Most carriers also have data plans that you can have pro-rated for the week. Call you provider for accurate information.

Hello! Have a teenager that is crazy about text messaging. We are going on Liberty of the Sea mediteranean cruise in August. Does anyone know i it is "pssible" to text mesage in the mediteranean or not? Thanks in advance for your input and hel Mikil

The Med is no different to any other area i.e. Caribbean etc. My DW is also an avid texter and the price is dependant on your provider. For me, the cost while in the carib or the Med is similar at around 50p sterling (75c US). The real sting is the price of incoming as well as outgoing calls. We usually get a text from the roaming provider, informing us of the appropriate rates.

I think it maybe cheaper to toss your teenager's phone overboard on day 1, and buy a replacement when you get home. :D

• 2 weeks later...

All:

If you are on Verizon and have a Global capable phone, text messaging is charged on a A La Cart basis (even if you have a Text Plan) when travelling outside of the US.

Text Out: $0.50 per message

Text In: $0.05 per message

Just got off the phone with Verizon Global Services: 1-800-711-8300

I have a teenage son and texting was the only way to keep in contact with him ON the ship (Oasis last August), let alone with people back home. :p For us, it was $.50 a text to send, free to receive with AT&T. Cell bill for all the texting at the end of the trip was about $55. Would I do it again on my next cruise? Yes!! It is a convenient way to keep in contact with my loved ones, but I think we will limit the number of texts each day on our next cruise. :)

@ LaLetum I agree with you. I have a Global phone from Verizon and I use it abroad. They have to activate the sim card and I get the Value Plan. I used it in the Mediterranean and Russia, Norway, Sweden, etc. to TEXT and a few phone calls (but no calls from Russia-way too expensive). My texting prices to receive at all these locations was 5 cents and to send it was 50 cents.

I think the best thing to do is to call Verizon's Global number above (if you have Verizon.) Also, while in London, I met a young man on the Tube with his iPhone and since I want one I asked how happy he was with it (and YES, finally Verizon will have it in February). Well, he said he really liked the phone, but the first time he took it out of country, he got a HUGE phone bill $200+ because his apps were automatically updating while he was traveling.

Just to give you a heads up on that. When I get my iphone that is something I will check out.

I'm interested in this for on ship communications if walkie talkies don't work out, so just occasional use, doesn't sound like it would cost more than the drink of the day.

Does anyone know about Sprint costs? Or, more impt, is there a way to turn the phone off to phone calls and only allow text? I've heard of airline mode but I'm not sure if that would allow texting. We don't have apps or even phones that connect to the internet but it's incoming calls I'm worried about. You don't know about them when the phone is off and locked in the safe but hard not to answer if phone rings. And I'm guessing there might be a charge even if you don't answer the phone and certainly if they connect to voicemail and leave you a message.

Does anyone happen to have experience with this one? Thanks.

I just cruised in October of 2010...

If you have AT&T you can add international texting for $10 a month that gives you 50 outgoing texts, incomming are free with the plan !!!! just make sure you keep your phone in airplane mode when not texting cuz if you get a call and it goes to vm it is concidered answered,,,,,, if you can you can also disable voicemail. good luck and I hope this helps:) :)

All:

If you are on Verizon and have a Global capable phone, text messaging is charged on a A La Cart basis (even if you have a Text Plan) when travelling outside of the US.

Text Out: $0.50 per message

Text In: $0.05 per message

Just got off the phone with Verizon Global Services: 1-800-711-8300

Got the same info from Verizon, assuming you have a proper phone.

Phone goes off once ship sails and remains in safe until we get back home. I'm out of pocket and that is all there is to it. Everyone can do without me because even if they reached me, I couldn't do a dang thing about it.

Please remember that when you are out at sea, you will not be picking up your usual local/land cell phone providers services... you will be connected to the ships network (Maritine Services Network), which is based on satellite communications = very very expensive... you will pay both ways for text... much more expensive than your local/land provider.:(

Phone goes off once ship sails and remains in safe until we get back home. I'm out of pocket and that is all there is to it. Everyone can do without me because even if they reached me, I couldn't do a dang thing about it.

I have no desire to communicate with back home but if I could keep in touch with an occasional text to my preteen, the 50 cents or so a text wouldn't be a big deal in the scheme of total costs. It would be b/c WOW phones aren't on Freedom class, DEET (sp) phones are no longer available, and walkie talkies might be noisy or not work great or annoy others.

I couldn't find airport mode on my Sprint Sanyo phone to stop calls but I sort of doubt texts would work on that setting anyway.

Archived