The Chef's Table

headhurt

We are sailing the Pride on 2/27/11 and I emailed Carnival from their website to get reservations for the Steakhouse. From what I learned on other threads here, after I received the Steakhouse reservations they gave me the email address for the Prides Steakhouse and I then emailed them inquiring about the availability of the Chefs table on this cruise and within 2 hours I received the following email.....

Thank you for booking the Chef’s Table.

Your reservation request for 2Guests is confirmed.

No need to wait until you get on board.

The Chef's Table isn't replacing the steakhouses, it's in addition to the steakhouses and, even better, is available on every ship in the fleet.

The $75 dollar cost is well worth it. You can do a search on 'chef's table' and find at least two dozen threads about it...

:)

PS - Finally got my confirmation for the Splendor, thanks again Mach for your help and encouragement to follow up. They clearly just needed people back on the ship and it is awesome that John is doing this. On Princess it is a whole riga-marole vs. just being able to reserve.

We are sailing the Pride on 2/27/11 and I emailed Carnival from their website to get reservations for the Steakhouse. From what I learned on other threads here, after I received the Steakhouse reservations they gave me the email address for the Prides Steakhouse and I then emailed them inquiring about the availability of the Chefs table on this cruise and within 2 hours I received the following email.....

Thank you much! I will try this!

My impression: BEST DINING EXPERIENCE EVER!

Impression from fellow cruiser: IT WAS LIKE A RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE

We just came off the Pride today and the Chef's table was incredible!!! We also did David's courtesy of Kirk the Cruise Directory and IMHO, the steakhouse is not $30 pp better than the MDR but the $75 pp for the Chef's Table is well worth it and more. If you can get a spot at the chef's table then Take it.

As far as pictures go, before we started the experience, it is explained that pictures of the galley tour were NOT allowed and I kept my camera in my pocket. BUT, there was someone in our group who asked to take a picture of the line of waitstaff retrieving meals. The Chef de Cuisine Jerry said this is typically not allowed but said OK. Then someone else whipped out their camera. I kept mine in my pocket as I just didn't feel right taking pictures, the vibe I got from the chef was that he really couldn't tell them no.

Then, my wife was the only taker when Jerry asked if anyone wanted to help make the Chocolate melting cake. Jerry told me to get my camera out and get pictures of her.

[ATTACH]184761[/ATTACH]

So, I did!! :-D

[ATTACH]184760[/ATTACH]

The hand picked staff of chefs and our server.

The Chef's Table and the Dolphin Swim in Freeport were the highlights of the cruise.

Looks amazing! I was hoping I'd be able to take photos. I can't wait to experience this!

Looks amazing! I was hoping I'd be able to take photos. I can't wait to experience this!

Be sure to ask first because they do make a point to say pictures of the galley are not allowed. Just ask the Chef de Cuisine and I'm sure he/she will say yes. You might even ask to get pictures of the CdC and some of his hand picked chefs that are serving you (instead of asking to take pics of the galley).

Enjoy!!

Have a look here! (and I dare you not to salivate! :D): http://danthewebman.shutterfly.com/pictures/438

Our menu on the Splendor on October 19 was slightly different.

We had Norwegian Salmon Tartar instead of the Beef Carpaccio and we had Rock Shrimps and Apple Beignets instead of the Fried Calamari.

A couple of days before the dinner, the chef came around to our tables in the main dining room and asked if we had any food limitations or preferences. One of the members of our group doesn't like seafood and prefers his steaks well-done. The chef had substitute appetizers and entrees for him, mostly chicken and beef.

Since one of our tablemates didn't care for Chilean Sea Bass, they brought him New Zealand Lamb Chops, but he didn't like that, either. My Canadian friend next to me said "I'll take it!" and said it was the best lamb chop he'd ever had. They then brought out a very well-done piece of beef for our tablemate which he enjoyed immensely.

My Canadian friend also said that the Chef's Table was the best experience he'd ever had on a cruise ship that didn't involve his wife and alcohol. :eek:

On the Splendor, we met the Chef in the Lobby Bar and he led us into the galley, where we had our appetizers and champagne and one of our group made the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake. Then we had our dinner in a private room just off the lower level entrance to the main dining room. It was cool to see the other passengers in line for the dining room while we were in our "Private Party" intimate room with a Head Chef, six Sous Chefs, and two wine servers. The dinner took about three hours and there was fresh wine with every entree.

I would do it again in a heartbeat, even with the same menu.:)

We also really enjoyed it and thought it was well worth the cost, but we wouldn't do it again. We enjoyed every course, but everyone's pictures look exactly like ours.

If they changed the menu or if we went with friends, we'd do it again.

Have a look here! (and I dare you not to salivate! :D): http://danthewebman.shutterfly.com/pictures/438

Thanks for the plug!

As the previous poster said, the menu is the same fleet-wide so I think I'll go if the menu is different when I cruise in May.

Also, search Youtube for Chef Luis Palha to see some video of the chef explaining the courses. Might be a bit difficult to hear due to his accent and he was rather soft spoken and the background piped in music.

Since one of our tablemates didn't care for Chilean Sea Bass' date=' they brought him New Zealand Lamb Chops, but he didn't like that, either.[/quote']

Doesn't like sea bass or lamb chops. LOL I would have a hard time not saying something like "Why did you spend $75 for dinner if you wanted a burger?"

There is no steakhouse on my ship so I'm not sure who to email. I just got off the phone with Carnival and she looked it up (sounded new, but very nice) and actually told me to send John Heald a message on his blog. Does that sound right? Or should I go through the dining room?

Doesn't like sea bass or lamb chops. LOL I would have a hard time not saying something like "Why did you spend $75 for dinner if you wanted a burger?"

He and his fiancee are very good friends of mine, and I know that she really wanted to do the Chef's Table. He was trying to keep her happy. :D

I have a question about going through John's blog....does it show up on the thread like the other replies?

I certainly don't want to post my name and when we're leaving plastered across the internet! :eek:

I'm with ya! I just sent an email to the address I found on his FB page: socialnetworking@carnival.com

I know if you put something on his FB page, he responds pretty quickly (or he did mine when I joined it), but I didn't want to put it there either so I sent the email.

You don't have your cruise listed, so if you're going on mine, you have to wait until I get my reservations to get yours! :D

I have a question about going through John's blog....does it show up on the thread like the other replies?

I certainly don't want to post my name and when we're leaving plastered across the internet! :eek:

The easiest way to book it is to go email the steakhouse. I have heard the people going through John's blog, it can take a while for a confirmation and some wonder if he saw it or not. I'm sure John is SUPER busy.

I emailed the glory steakhouse and had a response within 12 hours. Others have posted that they have rec'd a response sooner. Also, that way you don't have to post your personal info online.

The easiest way to book it is to go email the steakhouse. I have heard the people going through John's blog, it can take a while for a confirmation and some wonder if he saw it or not. I'm sure John is SUPER busy.

I emailed the glory steakhouse and had a response within 12 hours. Others have posted that they have rec'd a response sooner. Also, that way you don't have to post your personal info online.

Does anybody have the Ecstasy steakhouse email address?

I emailed the generic steakhouse@carnival.com asking for it, and they wouldn't give it to me.....they said I'd have to wait until I boarded to make chef table reservations or go through John's blog.

My ship doesn't have a steakhouse or that is what I would have done.

I had a Chef's Table confirmation from the maitre'd of the Victory within 48 hours of posting on John's blog. If you mark it "Chef's Table Request - Please Reply" it gets filtered by staff and they don't post it in the general comments. (at least they didn't post mine) They need last name and booking number - and date of sailing.

I just saw a blurb about this from facebook. Is this replacing the Supper Club, or is it in addition to it? Will be sailing on the Destiny in a couple weeks, so while they don't have the SC, I assume they will have the CT. I'm also a little leery of the $75 price tag that comes with it. For those who have tried it, what were your impressions?

The chef's table is an addition not replacement. This was a wonderful experience for both my wife and I. The head chef was with us through out the experience explaining each dish, showing us many of the ins and outs of dining onboard all while providing a wonderful meal. The price tag was expensive however we felt it was worth it. One piece of advice if you do choose to do this I suggest eating light. You will be stuffed.

I emailed the generic steakhouse@carnival.com asking for it, and they wouldn't give it to me.....they said I'd have to wait until I boarded to make chef table reservations or go through John's blog.

The Ecstasy doesn't have a steakhouse. Look at trvlqueen's post above, looks like the blog will work after all.

I am leaving next Wednesday (2/23) on the Carnival Fantasy, and I was able to book the Chef's Table through John's blog. Your reply doesn't automatically show up (with your personal information) - they moderate the replies to the blog. Normally it should take a week (or so). I didn't hear back from anyone after 2 weeks, so I posted something on JH's Facebook page (facebook.com/johnheald) and later that same day he confirmed with me that he had sent my information along and that I should have received confirmation from the ship. (I had not) -- but less than a week after that, I did receive an email from the head Matre'd confirming my reservation. JH is REALLY responsive, so if you post on his blog, and don't hear anything, friend him on facebook and post on his wall. :)

Hope that helps. :)

There are not my pictures - they were posted by someone else - but when were you told you could not take pics at Chef's Table? I have seen many threads with many pics of the AMAZING food? Hope I can take pics! :rolleyes:

We were told that pictures were not allowed in the galley but otherwise could take some. It was SO good. Definitely the highlight of my trip

I don't think the Ecstacy has a steakhouse unless it was recently added.

Archived