Soda Package

OneLuckyMom

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before, but I can't find a search feature to look for past threads (am I just not seeing a search button somewhere??)

If I pre-purchase the soda package, when I do I get the card or sticker and the mug?

If I don't pre-purchase it, can I purchase it during check in, or do I have to wait until we are on the ship and get it somewhere?

I am a diet soda addict, and will need one pretty quick after getting on the ship :cool:

We will be on the Spirit, if that changes the answer at all.

ETA: Never mind the search thing - I found it. Guess I have to be logged in to see it!

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before, but I can't find a search feature to look for past threads (am I just not seeing a search button somewhere??)

If I pre-purchase the soda package, when I do I get the card or sticker and the mug?

If I don't pre-purchase it, can I purchase it during check in, or do I have to wait until we are on the ship and get it somewhere?

I am a diet soda addict, and will need one pretty quick after getting on the ship :cool:

We will be on the Spirit, if that changes the answer at all.

ETA: Never mind the search thing - I found it. Guess I have to be logged in to see it!

If I may, please let me tell you my opinion on the soda card thingie. MOST of the time the soda you get is from a soda fountain at a bar, so normally not as good as soda from a bottle or can. I don't know if that means anything to you or not, but for my money, I would rather spend the $2.00 for each can of soda and have good ones than $7 or $8 dollars a day for not so good unlimited soda. That has just been my experience at least. Not for sure if you know, but to help supplement your cost, you could bring a 12 pack on the ship with you. Anyways.. just my $.02. 8-)

Not sure about your pre-pay options but, as soon as you board ship there will be tables set up to buy your soda package. They will put the sticker on your card & give your soda cup at that time.

If you miss the first table, there will be several others all over the ship, around the pool and bar areas.

my last 2 cruises--week on the Jewel last January and 2 weeks on the Sun last month alot of the times my soda came out of a can...watch them get it and serve it...guess it just depends.

i bring on soda but also purchased the card...if you dont need alot bring your own on....last cruise i brought 12 cans of gingerale and 12 cans of dew!

Thanks for the input all - guess I'll have to debate bringing a 24pack on (a 12 pack wouldn't be enough to last a week - while I don't drink that much normally I let myself go wild on vacation LOL) vs. just paying by the can vs. the soda card. There are pros and cons to each approach, but all methods get me my bubbly caffeine fix!

Thanks for the input all - guess I'll have to debate bringing a 24pack on (a 12 pack wouldn't be enough to last a week - while I don't drink that much normally I let myself go wild on vacation LOL) vs. just paying by the can vs. the soda card. There are pros and cons to each approach, but all methods get me my bubbly caffeine fix!

Ok got it. So lets say I run out of my 24 Coke after 7 days. And then I buy a couple of six packs of coke in, lets say Costa Rica. Am I allowed to drag that on, thru the scanners, when embarking, for my enjoyment for the rest of the cruise? This coke thing has left me with lots of questions. Not much of a pepsi guy/ or gal.

Ok got it. So lets say I run out of my 24 Coke after 7 days. And then I buy a couple of six packs of coke in, lets say Costa Rica. Am I allowed to drag that on, thru the scanners, when embarking, for my enjoyment for the rest of the cruise? This coke thing has left me with lots of questions. Not much of a pepsi guy/ or gal.

I was just going to tell OLM that you can also buy bottled water, soda's, etc in ports of call and bring them onboard, if you are getting low.. 8-)

I'm due to take my 1st NCL cruise later week.

With the SODA package, if they give you a cup - do you have to use the same cup everytime you fill up...??? Currently there are norovirus precautions in place on the ship I'm sailing on (JADE) so am sure as part of hygene, a clean glass every time would be standard...?

Also - is it limited to certain bar's as on previous RCL cruises, I could get soda anywhere, including the restaurants...?

I've not see anywhere I can pre-purchase, so will buy when I get onboard on Friday.

Thanks

I'm due to take my 1st NCL cruise later week.

With the SODA package, if they give you a cup - do you have to use the same cup everytime you fill up...??? Currently there are norovirus precautions in place on the ship I'm sailing on (JADE) so am sure as part of hygene, a clean glass every time would be standard...?

Also - is it limited to certain bar's as on previous RCL cruises, I could get soda anywhere, including the restaurants...?

I've not see anywhere I can pre-purchase, so will buy when I get onboard on Friday.

Thanks

I am on the Jade sailing right after you (12 day Eastern Med). I called and pre-purchased the soda card with a rep.

I am still interested in the answer to your question though.

I am the biggest Diet Coke junkie there is and I have never purchased a soda card on any cruise line. I used to drink 12-18 a day but am down to no more than two.

On NCL, I will drink the Diet Pepsi but prefer DC. It just bugs me that when you have a soda card, the drink is served in the same container and the cost is ridiculous. It is easy enough to bring soft drinks onboard at embarkation or at the ports of call.

I like the soda card for convenience. If I am at a show, by the pool, lunch or dinner etc and I decide I want one...... just order it...too easy

Plus I prefer fountain pop :) Yes, its true

***We purchased ours the second day at the lounge ( They will put the sticker on your card & give your souvenir cup at that time)

****You get a new glass everytime ( the cup they give you is a souvenir only)

Thanks to all for the great information! How do the taxes and gratuities work on the soda package? Do you pay them on each individual "refill"? I am thinking of getting them for my teens so they don't have to carry any cash around the cruise ship.

Thanks to all for the great information! How do the taxes and gratuities work on the soda package? Do you pay them on each individual "refill"? I am thinking of getting them for my teens so they don't have to carry any cash around the cruise ship.

I think I tipped when I first bought the pkg at the lounge that night as we got sodas at the same time. Other than that...No Sodas were often brought with other drinks (that were tipped). When the kids got the sodas from the bar or restaurant, the soda were given quickly and the waiter/waitress didnt bring any thing to sign and didnt hang around for any gratuitites.

In my experience (Gem, Jewel, and Spirit)... If you want to carry around the souvenir cup they give you, you can present it at any bar on the ship for a refill of soda. The ones they've used on my cruises were somewhat insulated so it kept colder longer. But they also don't hold much, especially if you get ice. Your call. Sometimes they rinsed it out first, sometimes they didn't. I washed it with hot water each day in my cabin. Show them your card with sticker as you ask for your drink. They will also give you a fresh cup if you ask. Taxes and 15% tip are added to the purchase price of the sticker when you get it. It shows up on your charges as a single bar purchase (as if you purchased one very large drink). At the time, Gem and Jewel generally used fountain soda, but I seem to recall that at least one bar used cans. It depends on what they have at that location. On the Spirit, I think it was from a can every single time. I think every location that physically has the soda will give it to you if you have the sticker. You don't have to go to a specific location.

Not sure about your pre-pay options but, as soon as you board ship there will be tables set up to buy your soda package. They will put the sticker on your card & give your soda cup at that time.

If you miss the first table, there will be several others all over the ship, around the pool and bar areas.

We bought it when we first walked on the ship. It came to a little over $50 bucks for the week. The only one who got it was my husband who drinks several a day. My son and I bought 2 each the whole week so it didn't make sense for use to get it. When you buy a soda they give you a can, with the soda card you get fountain soda. My husband had a little sticker on his card but only used the insulated container once or twice most times just getting it in a plastic cup.

Archived