Carnival Spirit to Australia..

RD64

The Whale Tail will become the Shrimp Tail! :D

I might be being pedantic here, but I feel the need to point out on behalf of all Australians that hardly anyone ever cooks "shrimps on the barbie" and even if we did we would call them prawns anyway. :)

Like Foster's Lager, it's a false idea of Australian-ness for the American tourist market.

Off the top of my head I can imagine the following:

*Tipping would not appear as a separate charge on your bill but would be incorporated into the fee for the cruise.

*I shouldn't imagine there'd be tipping expected for room service or the maitre D.

*Australian soft drinks with CANE SUGAR! You'd still see Coke, Sprite and Fanta, but no more Mr Pibb, Canada Dry etc - Probably end up with some sort of ginger beer and bar staff would have to learn how to mix up Lemon Lime & Bitters (I taught some of Spirit's bar staff how to make this up for my soda card on the NYE cruise!)

*The word "Shrimp" replaced with "Prawn" on every menu.

*Australians will no longer want to shoot themselves while participating in "Sports trivia" and being met with questions like "Who was the reserve team coach for some US college football squad in 1984?" - Trivia in general will be Australian-centric instead of US-centric.

*Cricket and Aussie Rules on the TV's in bar areas. Will probably still get regular football (by which I mean "soccer")

*Probably some tweaks to the menu. I don't see the "midnight bistro" being so hotdogtastic anymore. I'd expect a complete rework for this for the Aussie market. I think Taste of Nations might be worked on a little to fit Australian tastes. I doubt "Southwest" would stay because most Aussies would have no idea what that was and would just think of it as more "American" - If "American" is retained they would probably have to merge it with "Southwest".

I'll add to this - BACON more palatable to Aussies than the American stuff. One of the biggest culture shocks for me when moving to the US was the loss of my beloved bacon. I have never got used to American bacon.

I've heard that Americans face similar issues when going to other parts of the world and being faced with our sort of bacon.

Also, for the discussion of a ship replacing the Spirit here in San Diego, a local TV station stated last night that per a Carnival rep, they would not be scheduling a replacement ship in San Diego due to declining interest. Not good news for us on the West Coast....or at least in San Diego.

Yeah and I just saw this -

http://www.travelweekly.com/article3_ektid226954.aspx

So far it's all saying "Not in San Diego" - does this mean "not on the west coast" or might we get another ship at Long Beach?

From that article "Lynn Torrent, Carnival's executive vice president of sales, said that the line would soon announce a replacement for the Spirit’s summer schedule in Alaska."

This implies to me that a ship will be here - at least during the summer. Let's face it, they aren't going to move Splendor to Alaska in the summers and have no Mexican Riviera cruises during this time except for whatever poor Inspiration is capable of. I think it's looking more likely that we will either get a third ship out of Long Beach (Split between Hawaii, Alaska and possibly some Mexican Riv) OR a ship is going to spend winters on the east coast and summers on the west.

When I first saw this news I thought it was the most exciting thing I have ever heard. This is, of course, because I have been trying to schedule an Australian cruise. Obviously, it will be on the Carnival Spirit. This is my absolute favorite ship, and I could not be any happier to have it down under as I schedule my trip. The bad part is, that once I sail her down under, I won't have her around up here in the US for another cruise of any kind, unless they end up moving her back here at some point. :confused:

• 1 month later...
All I can say as someone who IS NOT RELIGIOUS

There just may be a GOD:D

Now we may be able to use our $100 Carnival Certificate down our way without having to spend $4000 Plus on flights to get to the States.

THANK YOU CARNIVAL

We love Carnival Spirit.

Would sincerely appreciate your posting when the Honolulu to Sydney cruise for Spirit is announced. Spirit sails from Vancouver to Honolulu on September 18, 2012, and we're booked on that. All I know so far is that the Honolulu to Sydney cruise is, according to a Carnival PVP, going to open to "the Australian market first." Spirit is listed as arriving in Sydney for the first time on October 17, 2012. She is leaving Sydney on a 13-night cruise on October 25, and we're interested in that too. Thank you for your consideration!

How about the answer to the most important question of all....

WILL THERE BE A REPOSITIONING CRUISE???!!!

A nice swing by to Bora Bora, Tahiti, maybe Easter Island, and then a couple of stops in New Zealand and Australia. Special Cruise Director: Paul Hogan. Special appearance by: Storm'n Norm'n and Skippy.

The repositioning cruise for the Spirit begins with her sailing from Vancouver on September 18, 2012 arriving in Honolulu on September 30.

The Honolulu to Sydney cruise is going to be opened to "the Australian market" between April 15 and May 1. Spirit is expected into Sydney for the first time on October 17, 2012. Will try to remember to post again if I learn anything more.

• 1 month later...
The repositioning cruise for the Spirit begins with her sailing from Vancouver on September 18, 2012 arriving in Honolulu on September 30.

The Honolulu to Sydney cruise is going to be opened to "the Australian market" between April 15 and May 1. Spirit is expected into Sydney for the first time on October 17, 2012. Will try to remember to post again if I learn anything more.

IT is Open NOW

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone.... Ive just registered on this forum and all I can say Im so excited about the Carnival Spirit coming to Australia in 2012 :D And to tell you the truth I have already booked my cruise on the spirit leaving from Melbourne on 1st of March 2013 sailing to NZ and back to Melbourne 13 nights. So my count down has already begun LOL :)

Hi everyone.... Ive just registered on this forum and all I can say Im so excited about the Carnival Spirit coming to Australia in 2012 :D And to tell you the truth I have already booked my cruise on the spirit leaving from Melbourne on 1st of March 2013 sailing to NZ and back to Melbourne 13 nights. So my count down has already begun LOL :)

jealous!

and welcome!

Welcome to cruise critic and congrats on your first post. As h82seaugo mentions, I am jealous as well. Australia and New Zealand are on our bucket list. Combing it with a cruise sounds like a fantastic vacation. Make sure you check back in after your cruise and let us know your thoughts. ENJOY!

jealous!

and welcome!

Welcome to cruise critic and congrats on your first post. As h82seaugo mentions, I am jealous as well. Australia and New Zealand are on our bucket list. Combing it with a cruise sounds like a fantastic vacation. Make sure you check back in after your cruise and let us know your thoughts. ENJOY!

Awww thanks so much! And Jimbo I will let you all know about our time aboard Carnival Spirit. I think its going to be just great as Im also on the cruise with 10 other people who are my hubby and lil girl, my parents and my brothers and sisters with there partners. Its there first time on a cruise. It will be my 2nd cruise my first was with P&O for my honeymoon 6 years ago, and back then I knew it wasnt going to be my last cruise and Im just so excited about the Carnival Spirit being a Superliner and all. Im sure I will have a ball and not to forget we will be celebrating my youngest sisters 21st birthday on the cruise as well. So thank-you so much for youe kind words and welcoming to the forum. Until we talk again Take Care :)

• 6 months later...

Sorry guys and gals, but the Spirit is on its way "down-under" to OZ and I will be on it leaving Honolulu on the 30th September this year. If any of you like we will let you onboard to have a farewell cruise but you have to promise that you will not get upset with us Aussies because we are an expanding cruising country an need more ships. One again, Sorry!!

Archived