Carnival Spirit to Australia..

RD64

Just booked my first sailing on the Spirit this morning. November 13-19, 2011 sailing to Cabo San Lucas. Disappointed that it is from Los Angeles and not San Diego, but it will be my first west coast cruise. I wanted to make sure I get to check her out before she leaves for Australia.

You guys can check out the Sydney cruise ship schedule.

The dates the Spirit will be in port are already loaded in.

http://www.sydneyports.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/14594/Passenger_Vessel_Schedule_12_January_2011.pdf

Not sure why the first cruise lists Princess as the cruise line for Carnival Spirit and later entries say Carnival Australia. Looks like they are setting up a new division.

Splendor is really the only ship that makes sense to take over Alaska and Hawaii.

Well, if we get a replacement ship it will be a good thing. I like trying new ships. Hopefully some class we haven't seen before, not another Spirit or Fantasy class.

I'm still holding out for Breeze :)

Like Dream and Magic, Breeze will probably be a warm water ship which means Caribbean with a home port of New Orleans!

How about the answer to the most important question of all....

WILL THERE BE A REPOSITIONING CRUISE???!!!

A nice swing by to Bora Bora, Tahiti, maybe Easter Island, and then a couple of stops in New Zealand and Australia. Special Cruise Director: Paul Hogan. Special appearance by: Storm'n Norm'n and Skippy.

Skippy retired.

Quote:

Carnival has not yet announced if another ship will replace the Carnival Spirit on the Mexican and Alaskan itineraries.

Maybe the Splendor will take over Alaska/Hawaii/Mexican Riviera.

Or maybe California will get another ship when the Breeze debuts???

I doubt the breeze will go to cali. Market is weak!

Something tells me that these Australia cruises are NOT geared towards American cruisers looking for cheap getaways from "drive to" ports in the USA. :p

This is DEFINITELY a departure from Carnival's strategy of making cruising accessible and affordable to the average American....

Something tells me that these Australia cruises are NOT geared towards American cruisers looking for cheap getaways from "drive to" ports in the USA. :p

This is DEFINITELY a departure from Carnival's strategy of making cruising accessible and affordable to the average American....

They are definitely NOT going to be marketed to Americans, hence the creation of the Carnival Australia brand. They will, for example, be serving more Australian beer. :)

They are definitely NOT going to be marketed to Americans, hence the creation of the Carnival Australia brand. They will, for example, be serving more Australian beer. :)

I can of Fosters will be so much cheaper on the Spirit now. That will so make up for the airfare costing $2k. :D;):D

I can of Fosters will be so much cheaper on the Spirit now. That will so make up for the airfare costing $2k. :D;):D

I doubt they will even carry it when it's out of Australia as no one's bought Fosters in Australia in decades. It's really hard to find and is almost purely aimed at the international market. If I recall correctly it's made in Canada these days. If you sail out of Sydney you'll find yourself drinking VB, Toohey's, Crown, Carlton Draught etc. I don't drink myself so I'm not fully up on the current trends, I just know Fosters is widely detested back home.

I cannot believe this is happening to the Spirit.

I just sailed on her in December and she is a great ship. She will be missed!!

People, she's repositioning, not going to the scrap yard!

We, on the West Coast lost the Elation and now, the thought...or reality of losing the Spirit, well...it just makes me sad! We love cruising on Carnival and especially out of San Diego. Eventhough we are closer to Lo9ng Beach. We hop on the train and it drops us off right across the street from the port. The ships always sail full, so I have a hard time understanding about a weak market in Cali.

I would not hold out hope for the Breeze in SoCal:( By all accounts, the market is not sufficient to sustain such a large ship.

My bet is that the Breeze will call Miami home (largest cruise port in the world), and CCL will shift around ships to keep market representation in SoCal. Will be a smaller ship, though.

This development might explain why the balance of the 2012 schedule has not been released yet. With the news, I'm thinking we'll see it soon.

I am happy for our Australian fellow cruisers, though! Imagine spending over $4,000 on airfare to cruise...wow! Aussie's are real cruisin' keeners :)

And Kiwis-New Zealanders

if we go to Eastern USA its way more than $4000- closer to $6000

Both Aussies and kiwis are big travellers and we deserve a ship down our way.

I feel You guys should be excited to be able to cruise on Carnival in a new region instead of lamenting:(

Some of you should stop moaning over what you have lost and look at the positives that will come out of this

Greetings from Down Under

Would you mind sharing what makes Carnival Spirit special?

It is part oft he Spirit class of ships of which there are only 4. These ships are a completely different layout then the other CCL ships. There is more space per passesnger and they are laid out really well. There are quite a few features that people love about them, one being the open to the sea aft section of the Lido deck and the split level Promanade. For me, the Spirit is the nicest looking Carnival ship I have been on as far as decoration. The ship is done in beautiful dark wood, etc. It is very nice looking and a bit different then the usual Carnival "flasy" decor. As far as cabins go the Spirit has more balcony cabins and a few other unique catagories as well. This includes the inside priced cabins that have french doors opening up to an obstructed view. The Spirit class also has the awesome aft wrap suites which provide seperate living and bedrooms alonge with an amazing wrap around balcony.

Couple things..

1) Does anyone else follow CCL and CCL support on twitter? Aside from the USA today article, I think that was one of the first places this story was posted (yesterday PM). :)

2) Carnival sure does keep the lid on this stuff, I always work with the same agent at CCL reservations (shes been there over 5 years now), and she didnt know about it! Then again, the cruise options aren't even bookable yet. :rolleyes:

3) For the repo cruises...

3A - I am so booking that / those :D

3B - Do you think it will be one long massive 20+ day sailing to get from the US to Australia, or will they break it up into 2-3 sailings? :confused:

I can't wait to see the repo cruises for this one. I imagine an old style 12 day Vancouver to Hawaii. Then maybe a Pacific islands cruise going by French Polynesia, Fiji and maybe even Cook islands. Heck the New Zealand cruise would be great. We have looked into one of those on Princess.

I admit to being a little surprised by this move. It certainly raises a lot of question on what Carnival might have in store for other markets.

Carnival will likely just overnight the ship to Australia via Fed Ex.

Archived