Carnival Spirit to Australia..

RD64

I sailed on the Spirit this past September on her Vancouver to Hawaii Voyage. We have already booked the Magic Transatlantic voyage from Barcelona to Galveston in October. I have always wanted to see down under. I can see another Trans pacific voyage in my future.

I think the Spirit will be a Success in Ozland and wish her the best.

All I can say as someone who IS NOT RELIGIOUS

There just may be a GOD:D

Now we may be able to use our $100 Carnival Certificate down our way without having to spend $4000 Plus on flights to get to the States.

THANK YOU CARNIVAL

We love Carnival Spirit.

Boy Howdy, I new this would make you happy...Maybe we will be coming to see you next time .

I love the Spirit! My first love!

The covered pool was my big question also.

Now I know things can change but this is kinda where I got the info. I really wish I could find that other article I found in some euro newspaper that talked about it also.

http://www.wartsila.com/,en,press,0,,6E404E5E-6211-48DD-B902-47A80BA57C46,,,.htm

I remember seeing that too.

It may turn out though that Carnival may change it's mind. The soft California markets already have the Splendor charging way below what a cruise costs on the East Coast. Putting the Breeze out there makes no sense revenue wise.

On the other hand Carnival is getting hard to predict. It would have been a lot easier and cheaper to just "give" the Spirit to P&O instead of setting up a whole new division.

Excited that the Spirit is coming to Oz. It's a really nice ship and will mean that those of us with kids can finally cruise from Australia in a balcony suite (most P&O ships only have balconies for two people, which is really annoying).

However, downside could be that those of us who also like to cruise out of America may lose out. At the moment we can book Carnival cruises through US travel agents in USD, which historically has been much cheaper than booking through Aussie agents in Aussie dollars. Whereas Princess Cruises don't allow that because they have ships based in Australia. Once Carnival comes down under, they may do the same as Princess, and prevent us from using US travel agents when we want to cruise out of the US, forcing us to pay higher prices.

Cruises out of Australia are also ridiculously expensive compared to cruising out of the States. For example a ten day cruise next January on RCL's Rhapsody for a family of four in a balcony is a whopping USD8,000. By comparison, we can do a 7 day cruise out of Miami on the brand new Allure of the Seas in a balcony for half the price. Or a fabulous 11 night cruise out of New Jersey to the caribbean on the Adventure of the Seas in a balcony for only USD4,700. The difference in price is outrageous. Sure, it's still cheaper to cruise here when you factor in airfares but that's not the point. Many Australians who have cruised overseas refuse to cruise out of Australia because value for money is so poor.

We've done six cruises out of the states in the past four years and don't mind paying airfares to have the benefit of much bigger choice of ships and ports. We know others who do the same.

Let's hope that the introduction of Carnival to Australia will force RCL to lower their Australian cruise prices by offering them some real competition. Then, prices overall will come down and it will entice many of us back to cruising from Australia. However if Carnival just see this as a "cash cow" and charge similar prices to RCL, we'll stick to cruising out of the United States.

A question for the Aussies on this thread: Assuming we wanted to do a July cruise, what could we expect in the way of weather? I know the seasons are reversed, but what is it like temperature-wise?

Kathy the weather in australia is mild, i would think our winter is something similiar to San Diego. Not very cold at all. Where abouts in USA do you live?

Cheers

:D

The is the best news ever!!!! I have friends in New Zealand who keep asking when we are coming over. Looks like we found their answer....right after October 2012 ;) Get 2 birds with one stone--take them cruising with us!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!!

As the youngest ship to be based here, the Carnival Spirit will be ‘Australianised’ subtly with an increased offering of Aussie beers and changes in lingo, entertainment style and kids activities.

I'm curious about the "Australianization" process. I understand differences in lingo and food/beverage selections, but curious what the differences in entertainment options are, and what the differences in the kids' programs are. Someday I'd LOVE to combine an Australian land tour with an Australia and/or New Zealand cruise.

I'm curious about the "Australianization" process. I understand differences in lingo and food/beverage selections, but curious what the differences in entertainment options are, and what the differences in the kids' programs are. Someday I'd LOVE to combine an Australian land tour with an Australia and/or New Zealand cruise.

I dont think it will that great a change.

The big difference will be the use of Australian Dollars, and the replacement of some of the gaming machines to meet local regulations.

When Princess sent Dawn and Sun down here , most of the programmes on board remained the same , with the Entertainment Staff gradually changing over to local folk to give a local flavour, but the ships are still managed from California and appear on the main Princess web site.

It is part oft he Spirit class of ships of which there are only 4. These ships are a completely different layout then the other CCL ships. There is more space per passesnger and they are laid out really well. There are quite a few features that people love about them, one being the open to the sea aft section of the Lido deck and the split level Promanade. For me, the Spirit is the nicest looking Carnival ship I have been on as far as decoration. The ship is done in beautiful dark wood, etc. It is very nice looking and a bit different then the usual Carnival "flasy" decor. As far as cabins go the Spirit has more balcony cabins and a few other unique catagories as well. This includes the inside priced cabins that have french doors opening up to an obstructed view. The Spirit class also has the awesome aft wrap suites which provide seperate living and bedrooms alonge with an amazing wrap around balcony.

Thank you for your response.

Australians will welcome the arrival of Carnival Spirit.

I'm sure there will be a lot of people interested in the initial repositioning cruise to Australia.

In addition to the proposed short cruises to the South Pacific Islands and NZ, I hope they do some longer B2B cruises, such as from Sydney to Hawaii, Tahiti etc., with different ports of call each way, combined with flights. Then people, short of time, can choose to cruise one way and fly the other and those, who enjoy longer holidays, can cruise both ways with different ports of call.

Thank you for your response.

Australians will welcome the arrival of Carnival Spirit.

I'm sure there will be a lot of people interested in the initial repositioning cruise to Australia.

In addition to the proposed short cruises to the South Pacific Islands and NZ, I hope they do some longer B2B cruises from Sydney to Hawaii, Tahiti etc., with different ports of call each way, combined with flights. Then people, short of time, can choose to cruise one way and fly the other and those, who enjoy longer holidays, can cruise both ways with different ports of call.

Could not agree more...

Hope you are reading this Carnival.:D:D

It would be great for both Americans and Australians.

Cruises between Hawaii and Sydney would be great , as it would cut down on the amount of flying required.

I was looking through the Sydney port schedule and I found two more ships other than the Spirit which will start sailing out of Sydney in 2012.

It looks like the Oosterdam will start sailing from Sydney on Oct 24. So that is another ship San Diego will loose.

Starting on Dec. 21 you see multiple dates where it says Radiance Class Vessel. I know the Radiance of the Seas will start sailing from Sydney, but all the dates that the Radiance is in port, it says Radiance of the Seas. So it looks like Royal Caribbean might be adding yet another ship to Australia.

Could not agree more...

Hope you are reading this Carnival.:D:D

It would be great for both Americans and Australians.

Cruises between Hawaii and Sydney would be great , as it would cut down on the amount of flying required.

That is a good point for our North American friends, David.

Even when flying was a pleasant experience, we used to break the long haul journey from Australia to the US/UK at Hawaii or other South Pacific islands.

Good detective work, Spencercoop - the more new ships and itineraries the better!

Kathy the weather in australia is mild, i would think our winter is something similiar to San Diego. Not very cold at all. Where abouts in USA do you live?

Cheers

:D

Near Albany, New York - where we're digging out of a foot of snow today on top of the 8 inches we received less than a week ago.:eek: Yes, San Diego would be preferable right now.

Exchange rates are probably better for Americans going to Australia than to Europe.

Actually the Australian dollar is very strong against the greenback at the moment. Since the middle of last year it has gone from 80 cents to 1.02 and has just dropped down slightly below parity based on the damage the floods have done to the Australian economy, although they reckon it will rise again as soon as the flood waters peak.

A question for the Aussies on this thread: Assuming we wanted to do a July cruise, what could we expect in the way of weather? I know the seasons are reversed, but what is it like temperature-wise?

If you were on a New Zealand cruise it would be pretty cold. South Pacific I'd imagine you'd be looking at something like Southern California in the winter, perhaps a little warmer.

Hey Deb,

This didn't suprise me at all, after we cruised the victory in September when I arrived back to Sydney Carnival called and asked what they should do if they came to Sydney so now i know why. :D

Tiffanie, guess you are the reason Spirit is going to Australia! Nice going! :)

Have a look at my links to the Australia-New Zealand & South Pacific cruise videos....and come on 'down under'....we'll even 'slap a shrimp on the barbie' for you

[quote name='Rusty Aligator;2!

7465964]You guys down under really deserve a ship of your own' date=' even tho I hate to see the Spirit leave. Maybe it will be an excuse for me to finally visit you Aussies. BTW, are you people refered to as "Low Lifes", because you're down under. hahaha, just joking.[/quote']

You know, I'm justing thinking about the initial repo cruise. From my experience, repo cruises (transatlantic for example), are VERY cheap. Granted they have tons of sea days, but heck, if I can cruise, eat, and have all the entertainment for $50-$60 a day, I'm all for it. I hope this is the case on the Spirit. I'm watching the website daily for when that repo cruise becomes available. I would venture to guess it will sell out in a flash.

I dont think it will that great a change.

The big difference will be the use of Australian Dollars, and the replacement of some of the gaming machines to meet local regulations.

When Princess sent Dawn and Sun down here , most of the programmes on board remained the same , with the Entertainment Staff gradually changing over to local folk to give a local flavour, but the ships are still managed from California and appear on the main Princess web site.

Off the top of my head I can imagine the following:

*Tipping would not appear as a separate charge on your bill but would be incorporated into the fee for the cruise.

*I shouldn't imagine there'd be tipping expected for room service or the maitre D.

*Australian soft drinks with CANE SUGAR! You'd still see Coke, Sprite and Fanta, but no more Mr Pibb, Canada Dry etc - Probably end up with some sort of ginger beer and bar staff would have to learn how to mix up Lemon Lime & Bitters (I taught some of Spirit's bar staff how to make this up for my soda card on the NYE cruise!)

*The word "Shrimp" replaced with "Prawn" on every menu.

*Australians will no longer want to shoot themselves while participating in "Sports trivia" and being met with questions like "Who was the reserve team coach for some US college football squad in 1984?" - Trivia in general will be Australian-centric instead of US-centric.

*Cricket and Aussie Rules on the TV's in bar areas. Will probably still get regular football (by which I mean "soccer")

*Probably some tweaks to the menu. I don't see the "midnight bistro" being so hotdogtastic anymore. I'd expect a complete rework for this for the Aussie market. I think Taste of Nations might be worked on a little to fit Australian tastes. I doubt "Southwest" would stay because most Aussies would have no idea what that was and would just think of it as more "American" - If "American" is retained they would probably have to merge it with "Southwest".

We are on the Zaandam out of San Diego (that is one ship that is still operating out of SAN) and takes 25 days to Sydney across the big pond!

Very interesting looking at the Port of Sydney documents. It appears as if Holland America's m/s Oosterdam, along with P&O Australia's Pacific Pearl and Pacific Jewel will sail as Carnival Australia ships April through December 2013. The Carnival Spirit is currently booked for Australia duty until at least June 2014.

You know, I'm justing thinking about the initial repo cruise. From my experience, repo cruises (transatlantic for example), are VERY cheap. Granted they have tons of sea days, but heck, if I can cruise, eat, and have all the entertainment for $50-$60 a day, I'm all for it. I hope this is the case on the Spirit. I'm watching the website daily for when that repo cruise becomes available. I would venture to guess it will sell out in a flash.

Unfortunately, Carnival's press release said the itineraries will be released by the middle of this year. So it could be anytime between now it June. So we might have a long time to wait for these itineraries.

Archived