Carnival Spirit to Australia..

RD64

Being in the west coast, I am also in the unhappy camp of losing another ship the region (add in RCI and NCL leaving). I would like to see a bigger ship coming here but I don’t think economics/logistics support that.

Bigger ships means more berths to try to fill. On average, if going from the Spirit to the Breeze (or anything in that size), you are looking at 1,000+ people every week that you need to bring on board. Not an easy task.

I know others have posted that they may move the Splendor to do the Alaska/Hawaii run during the Spring/Summer season, but that would seem odd as without the Mariner to compete against, Carnival has monopoly in the 7 day Mexican Riviera run during the summer months when other ships are up north. Carnival can charge premium prices for those sailings as they are the only game in town. Why would you want to give up a monopoly situation to go up to compete against other cruise lines?

Assuming they still want to keep the Alaska/Hawaii route, they can bring a smaller Fantasy class ship through the Panama Canal in the typical repo cruise from April to October and then go back across.

Well, I'm on the lookout for something special in 2013 - 30th wedding anniversary and oldest son graduating from college. And I'd love to visit Australia (if I can handle the flight:eek:). And Spirit is the only Spirit-class ship we haven't sailed. Something to think about....

John is dropping hints on his Facebook. Kinda knew it was gonna slip out.

http://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald

If I am not mistaken wasnt the Breeze designed for Alaska. With new engines that burn the correct fuel?

I dont think it would be that dumb to split the Dream class up like that. One on the east coast, one kinda central in Texas and then throw one over to the west coast. With all other companys pulling out I bet they can fill the Breeze quite easy.

Also how many sailing for Alaska go with cabins left. Not many thats for sure.

Well, I'm on the lookout for something special in 2013 - 30th wedding anniversary and oldest son graduating from college. And I'd love to visit Australia (if I can handle the flight:eek:). And Spirit is the only Spirit-class ship we haven't sailed. Something to think about....

We are in the same exact boat as you in June 2013!:) 30th wedding anniversary, daughter (youngest) graduating college, my 55th bd, and I am eligible to retire from teaching then. That would be some present! I think I'll drop a bug in dh's ear. We were thinking about a cruise to Europe, but this might be better.

Great news and very welcome down here.

I too will be very interested in the repositioning cruise .

Looking forward to seeing the initeraries when they are released.

One thing I would love to see , would be a couple of cruises each year from Hawaii to Sydney .

I am sure they would be very popular especially if they went via Tahiti and the Pacific Islands.

I'm disappointed, too. I have wanted to do an Alaskan itinerary and haven't had the time or funds since there are so few sailings each year. I love the look of the Spirit and was looking forward to sailing on her some day. As much as I would love to visit Australia, the likelihood of my having enough time to take such a vacation or the funds to get there is even smaller than the Alaska option. And where are all these new ships going to be based? We finally got one in Charleston, SC, but it's a very small, old ship. I'm spoiled by the larger vessels, even though I'm glad for the convenience of being within comfortable driving distance of a port.

I don't see them replacing the Spirit for Alaska. CCL already has HAL & Princess for that.

Gulliksen says that while Carnival has yet to announce its plans for Alaska in 2012, the Carnival Spirit still will be heading to the region for the summer before it sets sail for Australia in the fall, and the line is "committed to maintaining our Alaska program in 2013 and beyond ... we are in the process of identifying which ship will operate our Alaska cruises."

I think you are mistaken. Unless it has a radically different design from Dream and Magic, there is no covered pool.

The covered pool was my big question also.

Now I know things can change but this is kinda where I got the info. I really wish I could find that other article I found in some euro newspaper that talked about it also.

http://www.wartsila.com/,en,press,0,,6E404E5E-6211-48DD-B902-47A80BA57C46,,,.htm

Sounds like a nice idea, but you would think the would have a ship based in Mediterranean on a season schedule or year round unless they are planning that for 2012

Exchange rates are probably better for Americans going to Australia than to Europe.

Was just looking for a quick get away and found that the Inspiration is scheduled to be running some 2' date='3 and 4 day cruises out of LA starting Dec 2011.[/quote']

The Inspiration is replacing the Paradise.

I've had this gut feeling since Carnival made this announcement that one of the east or gulf coast ports is going to get "pink slipped" and loose their ship. I've always felt that there's way too much redundancy along these ports. Has Jacksonville secured a location for their cruise terminal past 2012?? :eek:

I don't see Carnival leaving just 2 lonely ships for the entire US west coast and abandoning Alaska, but then again, I didn't see Carnival moving a ship to Australia, so what do I know? :rolleyes:

And Kiwis-New Zealanders

if we go to Eastern USA its way more than $4000- closer to $6000

Both Aussies and kiwis are big travellers and we deserve a ship down our way.

I feel You guys should be excited to be able to cruise on Carnival in a new region instead of lamenting:(

Some of you should stop moaning over what you have lost and look at the positives that will come out of this

Hey, I am happy for you guys! It's about time Carnival spreads it's wings and moves down there. I have never been on the Spirit, but have been on her sister ship (The Pride) which was a great ship. I understand people are sad, and will miss this ship, but we have so many other ones here in the states, with another couple of new ones on the way. I think this will be a great move for Carnival, and it's nice for you guys not to have to fly all the way over here to sail on Carnival.

Don't take it the wrong way, people just get attached to their ships. If they're that attached, they can fly out there and sail her in a completely new region.

Maybe one day, the market will rebound in California and you guys will get another new ship. Here in Texas, we had to deal with getting the "leftovers" and now we're finally getting the Magic at the end of the year. Can't wait!!! So, I definitely understand the excitement you guys down under are feeling. COngrats!! Hope to sail on Carnival in Australia one of these days......

I want to see the repo cruise too, wouldn't that be great?

Hey Deb,

This didn't suprise me at all, after we cruised the victory in September when I arrived back to Sydney Carnival called and asked what they should do if they came to Sydney so now i know why. :D

Do the repo cruise Deb

Archived