2013 World Cruise Survey - who got one?

fann1sh

I also received the survey and have only one Holland America cruise under my belt. I am a single traveler now do to the loss of my husband and wondering if others travel on long cruises my themsleves? You seem to be a very knowledgable cruiser so thought I would ask you. Do you think it would br safe? Thanks you.

Kween Karen takes many Grand voyages as a single traveler == she enjoys herself -- check out her blog --- http://southamerica.kweenkaren.com/

I think you can feel safe on any HAL ship --

I'm a solo, and I am booked on the world cruise in 2012. I got the survey. I did pick two, but it is doubtful I would sign up for 2013. I do not like the idea of going in and out of NY in January, or for that matter anytime. Nothing against those in the NY area, but flying in, in January, isn't my idea of a great way to start a cruise.

There are other cruises I can take, with out going into NY in January. It is perfect for those who live in the area.

I am a single traveler now do to the loss of my husband and wondering if others travel on long cruises my themsleves? ...Do you think it would br safe?

I am also a widow. For my first solo cruise I opted for the 2010 69-day Grand Voyage to Asia and Australia and didn't regret it for a moment. Because I was traveling alone and was not a very experienced cruiser, I stuck with the ship's shore excursions. We were in some "strange" places but I never once felt unsafe. Go for it! (Life is not a dress rehersal.)

Here's a comeback that you will probably need: When people were astonished that I was going "all by myself," I told them I was actually traveling with 1,299 other people whom I hadn't yet met.

However, there were three routes being considered.
Fann1sh, the itineraries I received are slightly different from what you posted. The ports are essentially the same but the order is quite different, at least according to the detailed day-by-day port listing on my survey.

Itineraries A and B both are NY-NY voyages and most of the ports show up in reverse order to yours. Both voyages are westbound. Itinerary C is almost identical to what you posted. It heads south initially and then eastbound.

Maybe there are several versions being tested? Not a biggie either way.

I also received the survey and have only one Holland America cruise under my belt. I am a single traveler now do to the loss of my husband and wondering if others travel on long cruises my themsleves? You seem to be a very knowledgable cruiser so thought I would ask you. Do you think it would br safe? Thanks you.

Thank you. Yes, I've been around a time or two (or???). I cruised by myself before I married. Later on, my husband and I took several cruises together. After his death I continued on, and now take up to three or four cruises a year. Frequently those are long cruises of over 30 days.

I feel that cruising is about as safe a way to travel alone as you are likely to find. You meet up with the same people over and over during the course of a cruise, so you have the opportunity to get to know them. Everyone is in vacation mode, so is relaxed. I find the passengers friendly, for the most part.

I always feel safe on the ship. I take HAL tours, so those are safe, too.

Just got my HAL World Cruise survey today - have one world cruise from over 30 years ago and a recent 42 day "Grand Voyage" on another ship (MV Discovery). I picked "A" as my favorite choice - more Pacific Islands, SEA and African stops.

If I never go to Phuket again, I will be happy so it is interesting how many grand tours still include Phuket. Though it is nice to help in their tourism recovery after the devastating psunami a few years back. Eerie to actually see the hotel which a few years ago was a picture of horror and devastation and now is back in business.

Glad to see one cruise included Madagascar which is a travel treasure more off the beaten path. Still looking for that world cruise that stops in Tristan de Cuhna, but that is tricky I know. Plus hearing about that WWII Pacific Island cruise HAL did a while back makes me want to put that on my list too.

And I did suggest they include more overnight stops along the way, which we had on our 42 day MV Discovery cruise between segments (where we crossed paths with the Amsterdam in Mauritius last Feb '10). But wanting to take A, B, or C and affording it was our big gap, though definitely some of the more off the beaten path segments would be very appealing for us. Antarctic I would rather do as a separate cruise, so that one as a Grand Voyage did not appeal to me.

Fann1sh, the itineraries I received are slightly different from what you posted. The ports are essentially the same but the order is quite different.

Yes: I goofed. Posted this on previous page, but itineraries A and B are actually westbound.

And I thought I was doing such a good job transcribing the port names :rolleyes: and all the while was missing the arrows :eek: showing direction.

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

I received the survey, too, and had to leave the first two questions blank. We had booked a segment of the Grand World Voyage back in 2006 but had to downsize to a 7-day Alaska instead, so I thought that was why we got the survey.

Anyway, I voted for C because of the Antarctica portion and the 2-night Callao, Peru stop -- though 48 hours wouldn't be enough for a worthwhile trip to Machu Picchu (sp), and the debarkation in Seattle, my home port. However, I'd have to BUY a lottery ticket and WIN in order to book the GWV in 2013.

I feel fortunate enough to have booked the April 2012 23-Day South Pacific cruise on the Volendam yesterday. Did a few grand jetes in the copy room while I printed out the booking documents.

Mrs Muir

...but beginning in New York and ending in Seattle? Isn't the point of a World Cruise to actually go around the world?

I originally was thinking the same thing, but then realized the point of a World Cruise is to see the world, which doesn't absolutely demand origin and conclusion in the same port.

I was just wondering if HAL with their C option that included S America and the Antarctica are thinking of using the smaller Prinsendam for this possible voyage. There is going to be a strict restriction on the size of ships allowed in the Antarctic from this summer. Bigger HAL ships won't presumably qualify!

I voted for C - itinerary plus sailing back to Seattle - no flight home!

I would think it would be the Prinsendam because of Antartica

Mrs Muir - we were fortunate to be able to do a work project in Lima and the local people took us up to Cusco and Machu Picchu - 3 days with everything included for $300 - now that was a bargain!

You would really need 3 days to do it in order to get used to the altitude

before tackling Machu Picchu - also the plane doesn't usually get you there in time for the train in the morning.

I was just wondering if HAL with their C option that included S America and the Antarctica are thinking of using the smaller Prinsendam for this possible voyage. There is going to be a strict restriction on the size of ships allowed in the Antarctic from this summer. Bigger HAL ships won't presumably qualify!
No, all three itineraries are on the Amsterdam.

It isn't the size of the ship as you mistakenly believe, but rather the type of fuel used while in Antarctic waters that is the target of the new restrictions. HAL changes to the required type of fuel for the Veendam who is doing Antarctic cruises after they go into place. I'm sure any other HAL ships sailing there will do the same.

The Prinsendam visits Antarctica on her circumnavigation of South America Grand Voyage.

The size of the ship comes into play indirectly when determining if passengers will be able to go ashore while in Antarctica. All HAL ships carry too many passengers for any to go ashore.

• 1 month later...

I contacted Holland America about why my husband got a survey and I didn't. What they told me was that the surveys were sent out randomly, even within households. Some people got them, others didn't, but it was the 'luck of the draw' whether you got one or not.

Archived