2013 World Cruise Survey - who got one?

fann1sh

I was stunned to get a 2013 world cruise survey. The survey said not to pass it along to others to complete, so I didn't copy it.

However, there were three routes being considered.

#1 departed New York for St Maarten, Barbados, Ascension Island, St Helena, Walvis Bay, Luderritz, Capetown, Durban, Richards Bay, Maputo, Nosy Be, Sechelles, Male, Columbo, Phuket, Singapore, Nha Trang, Hong Kong, Manila, Puerto Princesa, Sandakan, Ujung Padang, Tana Ampo, Exmouth Australia, Albany, Adelaide, Kingscote, Melbourne, Sydney, Waitangi Bay of Islands, Aukland, Nuku'alofa, Nelufa, Bora Bora, Moorea, Papeete, Pitcairn Island, Easter Island, Callao, Guayaquil, Grand Cayman, Fort Lauderdale.

#2 departed New York for Barbados, Devil's Island, Recife, Salvador de Bahia, Rio de Janeiro, St. Helena, Capetown, Durban, Richards Bay, La Possesion, Port Louis, Seychelles, Chennai, Phuket, Port Kelang, Singapore, Kompong Som, Nha Trang, Hong Kong, Manila, Semarang, Tanah Ampo, Perth, Burnie, Melbourne, Sydney, Fjordland National Park, Dunedin, Christchurch, Auckland, Noumea, Port Vila, Honolulu, Hilo, Los Angeles, Puerto Vallarta, Santa Cruz Huatulco, Puerto Quetzal, Corinto, Grand Cayman, Fort Lauderdale.

#3 departed New York for Fort Lauderdale, San Blas Islands, Guayaquil, Caillao, Pisco, La Serena, Santiago, Isla Robinson Crusoe, Puerto Montt, Puerto Chacabuco, Chilean Fjords, Amalia Glacier, Punta Arenas, Ushuaia, Cockburn Channel, Romance and Alemenia Glaciers, South Shetland Islands, Antarctic Sound, Stanley, Puerto Madryn, Punta del Este, Capetown, Mossel Bay, Port Elizabeth, Durban, Richards Bay, Maputo, Nosy Be, Seychelles, Male, Colombo, Phuket, Puala Langkawi, Singapore, Kompong Som, Nha Trang, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Dalian, Pusan, Hakata, Nagasaki, Kagashima, Osaka, Shimizu, Tokyo, Muroran, Petropavlovsk, Victoria, Seattle.

This is funny, we buy pictures and didn't get that survey.

We can't take a world cruise until Dh retires, but we did get this survey.:p

Actually the survey came to dh who doesn't plan any cruises or book them, but I'll answer for him ;)

They all head east! :eek: Every single one of them is a lot of 23-hour days. I wonder if HAL will ever reset the clocks in the afternoon, or split the time changes to 1/2 hour daytime and nighttime?

Losing an hour sleep up to 24 times is not my idea of a good time. :rolleyes:

I also voted for the third option.

However, RuthC and ldog are conspicuously correct.

Why couldn't they start (rather than end) the itinerary in Seattle?

Or at least make one of the itineraries westbound?

They all head east! :eek: Every single one of them is a lot of 23-hour days.
Not according to the survey I received. Itineraries A & B head west, Itinerary C is eastbound.

To me it makes perfect sense for an eastbound WC to end in Seattle. It will be May and the Amsterdam will be starting her Alaska season very soon.

I didn't but I DID get a survey about the photo shop aboard ship. *LOL* Never ever buy pictures, and probably never will, so I didn't have much to say.

Wow, I sure wish I'd gotten that survey. I have real issues with the destinations DVD I bought on our NZ to AUS cruise we just completed.

I did get the World Cruise survey also. Some interesting segments but I don't think I'd ever do all 116 days.

I just completed the survey. I chose B, but would only be interested in a segment, not the whole cruise.

In truth, after my last cruise of only twelve days, I'm beginning to think about other kinds of travel again. I was on the Veendam, from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires, and it was, of course, quite nice. However, I found myself wishing for more time in each port.

When I visited Norway for three weeks, about five years ago, we spent anywhere from a day and a half to four days in each place we stayed, other than the five day cruise up the coast on one of the Hurtigruten ships.

On another trip, more than ten years ago, I spent two weeks in Romania, including five days in a tiny village. After we left Romania for Budapest, we travelled by train and bus to four other places in eight days, with the last stop being Prague for three days. I found myself wistfully wishing for more time in Budapest, Krakow, etc.

I will still take short cruises with family, as it's a great way to get extra time with my children and grandchildren, but, to see foreign countries, I think I will look at other methods.

This is the 3rd year that I've received this Grand Voyage Survey. DH also received it this year, not sure how that happened. But this is the first year that I've ever been instructed to not share it with others. LOL.

Because we are sending this to a very select group, we also ask that you do not forward this survey to others.
I figure the select group includes everyone who previously indicated that a Grand Voyage would be of interest.

I, too, voted for C. Not that a World Cruise (or even a segment) is in the foreseeable future for me. In fact, I thought it interesting that in the first couple of questions where it asked how many world cruises or segments you've sailed previously, "zero" wasn't even an option...

They all head east! :eek: Every single one of them is a lot of 23-hour days. I wonder if HAL will ever reset the clocks in the afternoon, or split the time changes to 1/2 hour daytime and nighttime?

Losing an hour sleep up to 24 times is not my idea of a good time. :rolleyes:

They did both of these things on the Amsterdam during the Sydney to San Diego segment of the 2010 Asia & Australia Grand Voyage. Losing an afternoon hour (2pm becomes 3pm) worked pretty well except than dinnertime came rather quickly after lunch. There were also a few 1/2 hour changes.

There were also a few 1/2 hour changes.

I like the idea of 2 changes of 1/2 hour each on a day. That is not only fair to the early bird vs night owl passengers, it's fair to the crew. It has to be extra hard on them to continually lose an hour of sleep, with no chance of sleeping late, and little chance of catching a nap. Especially when they share quarters with crew who work overnight, so not only don't lose sleep, but have a shorter work "day".

I remember how hard it was to lose 8 hours on a cruise that went from NYC all the way to St. Petersburg before we turned west again.

I received the survey, too. (Thank you HAL!) I want to think for awhile about which of the itineraries I would prefer.

I wonder if one could get a "guarantee" that the time change would occur during the day on the east bound itineraries.

I'm drawn to C primarily for Antarctica and because it spends several days in & around Japan during Sakura - For the opportunity to spend a day in Japan enjoying a traditional Hanami party, I could deal with the 23.5 hour days...

(which might impact a few pre-dinner naptimes)

...but beginning in New York and ending in Seattle? Isn't the point of a World Cruise to actually go around the world?

Whew! That's a relief. It would be a shame if HAL were totally committed to an east-bound sailing.

Thanks, Mary Ellen and Patricia, for clarifying.

I also received the survey and have only one Holland America cruise under my belt. I am a single traveler now do to the loss of my husband and wondering if others travel on long cruises my themsleves? You seem to be a very knowledgable cruiser so thought I would ask you. Do you think it would br safe? Thanks you.

Archived