NCL Gem- Alcohol policy & Laundry questions

nyc511

Two questions for the experienced;

1. I heard that NCL has eliminated self-service laundry on some of their ships. Is this true on the Gem? It's going to make a big difference in what I have to pack!

2. In regard to alcohol, what does NCL allow you to bring on board? Holland America allowed you to bring 1 bottle of champange for the cabin, and wine for dinner with a corking fee, although they didn't enforce the policy and people openly brought along more. I see references to corking fees in other posts, but can't find a specific policy on the website.

Thanks!

Holland America allowed you to bring 1 bottle of champange for the cabin, and wine for dinner with a corking fee, although they didn't enforce the policy and people openly brought along more.

FYI HAL allows you to bring unlimited amounts of wine (including champagne) on board - we took 2 cases on our last cuise :). They charge a corkage fee for wine taken to a dining room, bar or lounge - none if consumed in your cabin.

I don't have any info for you on NCL, I am sorry.

The laundry rooms are still there, but passengers are not allowed to use them. Passenger's duty free liquor purchases are stored in at least one of them (Deck 10).

You can bring wine onboard and they may charge you a corkage fee of $15. You can bring one six pack of beer onboard without raising an eyebrow. If you want to take liquor, buy a couple of rumrunners. No worries. Enjoy your cruise.

The laundry rooms are still there, but passengers are not allowed to use them. Passenger's duty free liquor purchases are stored in at least one of them (Deck 10).

You can bring wine onboard and they may charge you a corkage fee of $15. You can bring one six pack of beer onboard without raising an eyebrow. If you want to take liquor, buy a couple of rumrunners. No worries. Enjoy your cruise.

Really about the beer? My DH is a beer drinker, and I've always brought on wine (and paid the corkage), but never saw anyone on this board state anything regarding bringing beer onboard. We could've saved a fortune on our last 2 NCL cruises!

Really about the beer? My DH is a beer drinker, and I've always brought on wine (and paid the corkage), but never saw anyone on this board state anything regarding bringing beer onboard. We could've saved a fortune on our last 2 NCL cruises!

This not only applies to embarkation but each port as well. You can buy wine or champagne in port and pay $15 per bottle and take it on. Even with the $15 corkage you will be ahead of the game if you like mimosas for breakfast. At most of the ports you can get decent champagne and real OJ at reasonable prices. You can't get either on-board for reasonable prices.

If you buy liquor in port you don't get it back until the last morning but if you but it in the duty-free shop on board you get it at 6:00 PM the last night. Another little known item - if you are on a back-to-back you get all your liquor at the end of the first leg to have for the second leg.

If you buy liquor in port you don't get it back until the last morning but if you but it in the duty-free shop on board you get it at 6:00 PM the last night.

On our last cruise liquor purchased in the ships liquor store was available for pick up 9am the morning before we disembarked.

yes.

This is not true. HAL does not charge a corkage fee if you consume wine in your cabin.

It is true that they allow unlimited amounts of wine to be brought onboard. We wheeled on two cases when we were onboard Westerdam. If you consume the wine in any "public" area, then you are charged a corkage fee.

This is not true. HAL does not charge a corkage fee if you consume wine in your cabin.

It is true that they allow unlimited amounts of wine to be brought onboard. We wheeled on two cases when we were onboard Westerdam. If you consume the wine in any "public" area, then you are charged a corkage fee.

BikerAl was referring to NCL's policy, not HAL's.

NCL charges a $15 corkage fee for each bottle of wine that is brought onboard. You then can drink it where you like.

The YES answer wasn't about HAL, it was answering the original question about NCL's policy. And NCL does charge a corkage fee on ALL wine, even if it will be consumed in the cabin.

Really, truly about the beer? Honest? 100% sure? lol

I am very surprised by this! I know that no one would make this up but it just seems like it could not be so. I am going to bring on a six pack!

NCL does NOT allow beer to be brought onboard.

NCL does NOT allow beer to be brought onboard.

It has been my experience that they do. I was told each pax can bring onboard six beers. I have never been denied out of at least 16 times.

If you want to argue the "rules" state it is not allowed, then you can argue wine is not allowed either.

The YES answer wasn't about HAL, it was answering the original question about NCL's policy. And NCL does charge a corkage fee on ALL wine, even if it will be consumed in the cabin.

Oh, I see. I thought they were referring to the HAL policy.

So what does NCL do...count the number of bottles brought onboard when you go through security? And then they charge you $15 per bottle upfront? If that's how they do it, what if you bring more bottles than you consume and don't open some of the bottles? You still pay a corkage fee upfront?

Jo-Ann

My tip for bringing beer onboard:

Empty out a Coca-cola 24 pack and fill it up with beer and tape it up... check it or pack it in your suitcase.... Voila... your favorite beer for your room.

Too much work. Just buy the beer buckets and be happy you are on a cruise.

Archived