I want to renew my vows!! Help!!!

jaxstiles

We are cruising on the Dream in may for our 20th anniversary and We want to renew our vows. The problem is is the two packages being offered for vow renewals do not offer much flexibility. No on deck renewals, no choice of day or time, yadda yadda yadda...

Has anyone just planned your "own" vow renewal without the help of carnival? I just cannot seem to justify paying $385 or $735 and not have any say so whatsoever. I was told today that we wouldn't even find out till the day of boarding what day and time it will take place. And more than likely in the library officiated by the captain. I'm sorry but my idea of renewing my vows after 20 years does not include a library!!!:eek:

I was thinking more along the lines of up on deck...professing our love to each other with the sounds of the ocean and a beautiful sunset behind us....

(or) in st. Thomas on the beach...

Very simple and meaningful....without all the added extra costs too.

Any ideas???? I don't need all that extra fluff..:p

Yes...vow renewals are purely symbolic anyways. I can't see dropping that much money for frankly, not much of anything I really want.

Trust me, it's not even a matter of being a cheapo...I just want what I want. :p

I was even thinking about scoping out a part of the ship on deck that's not so crowded and pick a night before sunset and just go for it. Will my plan work?? I don't know...:confused:

Shame on me for not writing a review that I could just link you to. May I still should almost a year later.

We did a vow renewal on the Dream this past Spring Break. I had it set up as a surprise for DW. We were supposed to have the note on the bed when it was, that was how I was going to tell my wife. Well, the person in charge of such things saw my file flagged as a surprise, so didn't do that. I went to Guest Services to find out what was up that night, and then she told me. Came up with elaborate plan for Monday that she would send a letter to our cabin inviting us as a past guest for complimentary formal portraits with the Captain (as a ruse to get my wife dressed up on non-formal night). This was set for Monday. Well, after doing the see and sea excursion in nassau on Sunday, my wife wasn't feeling well on Monday (she's had inner ear issues every since she was pregnant with DS). By noon or 1PM Monday I knew this wasn't going to happen. Downstairs I go, talk to my contact, she says we can reschedule, but the cake may already have been made. I say np - give it to the crew. No cake for the reschedule since its me pulling the plug.

Reschedule for Thursday (formal night, so it works). In one of the meeting rooms. DW falls for it hook, line, and sinker. By this point I had clued DD (12) in, but not DS (9). We start walking into the meeting room, DW says "it looks like someone just got married in here, or is getting married after we're done". Thats when I let her know...

To say it was a success was an understatement. I did the bottom of the line package. Yeah, I ended up spending a lot more on photos afterwards than I planned on. But the photos they took with us around the ship afterwards were really nice. Everyone was great with the kids too.

Absolutely NO regrets for doing it.

Kevin

Shame on me for not writing a review that I could just link you to. May I still should almost a year later.

We did a vow renewal on the Dream this past Spring Break. I had it set up as a surprise for DW. We were supposed to have the note on the bed when it was, that was how I was going to tell my wife. Well, the person in charge of such things saw my file flagged as a surprise, so didn't do that. I went to Guest Services to find out what was up that night, and then she told me. Came up with elaborate plan for Monday that she would send a letter to our cabin inviting us as a past guest for complimentary formal portraits with the Captain (as a ruse to get my wife dressed up on non-formal night). This was set for Monday. Well, after doing the see and sea excursion in nassau on Sunday, my wife wasn't feeling well on Monday (she's had inner ear issues every since she was pregnant with DS). By noon or 1PM Monday I knew this wasn't going to happen. Downstairs I go, talk to my contact, she says we can reschedule, but the cake may already have been made. I say np - give it to the crew. No cake for the reschedule since its me pulling the plug.

Reschedule for Thursday (formal night, so it works). In one of the meeting rooms. DW falls for it hook, line, and sinker. By this point I had clued DD (12) in, but not DS (9). We start walking into the meeting room, DW says "it looks like someone just got married in here, or is getting married after we're done". Thats when I let her know...

To say it was a success was an understatement. I did the bottom of the line package. Yeah, I ended up spending a lot more on photos afterwards than I planned on. But the photos they took with us around the ship afterwards were really nice. Everyone was great with the kids too.

Kevin

Love it!! We are thinkig of renewing our vows for our 20th wedding anniversary next January on the Splendor. Our actual anniversary is the 2nd sea day. If they could guarantee it would be done on that day, we will seriously consider it. Obviously we don't have to do it on the exact day, but we just felt like it would have more meaning to us on the same day....

JAX!!!! Go to ISLANDBLISSWEDDINGS.com I too am wanting to do a vow renewal in St. Thomas and found this company. The vow renewal includes transportation from the ship to the location, officiant, a flower and a picture, then transportation where you want to go for lunch. The cost is $300. If you want a regular bouquet and boutiennere (sic) it would be about 50 dollars more.

Have fun!! And congrats on 20 years!! We are halfway there with 10!!

I thought I would throw my 2 cents in here, since we were faced with the same decisions. Ours is a wedding, not a renewal, but it's close!

We also didn't like giving up so much control by having a wedding that we couldn't actually plan, or know any details until the last minute. We also wanted to get married on deck, but were told no. I'm not sure why they won't perform ceremonies on deck. We were told we would be given our wedding location on the ship at the last minute, and it may be in the conference room. I don't mean to be picky, but I'm NOT getting married in a conference room!

There are plenty of choices to pick from for a ceremony at any of the ports you will stop at during your cruise. We decided we didn't want to take up our precious port time with our wedding ceremony.

The decision we finally made was to get married BEFORE our cruise, and we plan to fly in to Miami 2 days early and drive to Key West to get married.

We found a couple who perform beach weddings and they have beach photography packages too. The wife is the wedding officient, and the husband does the photography. (Flowers and boutineer included). The prices are reasonable, and about 1/2 the price Carnival was going to charge for a possible conference room wedding.

We felt this was a good choice for us because we are in more control of our wedding and details, AND we will be married on a beach, which is just as good as the deck of the ship. And much better than a conference room. :)

JAX!!!! Go to ISLANDBLISSWEDDINGS.com I too am wanting to do a vow renewal in St. Thomas and found this company. The vow renewal includes transportation from the ship to the location, officiant, a flower and a picture, then transportation where you want to go for lunch. The cost is $300. If you want a regular bouquet and boutiennere (sic) it would be about 50 dollars more.

Being married going on 28 years, I have often wanted to do a vow renewal on the ship - especially for our 25th. Looking into it, I felt it was too expensive for what they offered, since there are usually only 4 of us cruising. Instead, I take a bottle of our favorite wine out on our balcony, and we "renew" our vows each and every cruise. Just remember - if you renew your vows on an island, there is the chance you will "miss" that island due to bad weather, medical emergency, etc. Good luck, and congrats!:)

We did a vow renewal on the Dream this past Spring Break. I had it set up as a surprise for DW. We were supposed to have the note on the bed when it was, that was how I was going to tell my wife. Well, the person in charge of such things saw my file flagged as a surprise, so didn't do that. I went to Guest Services to find out what was up that night, and then she told me. Came up with elaborate plan for Monday that she would send a letter to our cabin inviting us as a past guest for complimentary formal portraits with the Captain (as a ruse to get my wife dressed up on non-formal night). This was set for Monday. Well, after doing the see and sea excursion in nassau on Sunday, my wife wasn't feeling well on Monday (she's had inner ear issues every since she was pregnant with DS). By noon or 1PM Monday I knew this wasn't going to happen. Downstairs I go, talk to my contact, she says we can

reschedule, but the cake may already have been made. I say np - give it to the crew. No cake for the reschedule since its me pulling the plug.

Reschedule for Thursday (formal night, so it works). In one of the meeting rooms. DW falls for it hook, line, and sinker. By this point I had clued DD (12) in, but not DS (9). We start walking into the meeting room, DW says "it looks

like someone just got married in here, or is getting married after we're done". Thats when I let her know...

Kevin

I'm so happy that in the end your vow renewal turned out great! I really am torn as to what I should do. :confused:

What a sweet hubby you are for planning all this for your wife. I just hope that whatever we end up doing...it comes out just as wonderful. I can't wait!

Junmato,

Thanks so much for the info on island bliss weddings. This may be just what we are looking for! I've been combing cc and the Internet and was starting to get discouraged. I will definitely follow up with this one. When were u planning on doing yours? Congrats to u as well! Trust me the time flies when you're with the one u love!! ;)

jax

same thinking here. we wanted to renew our vows this trip. for just the 2 of us the $395 package was crazy. wish they had a plain cereony package. not sure what we're going to do' date=' i like the st thomas idea. hmm

sheree[/quote']

Exactly my thoughts!

I told the carnival rep that I didn't need all the extra fluff..just tell me how much minus all the extras. She wasn't going for it. Lol

I was serious!!! Seriously, we have a group of twenty going and even with pkg 2...there was no way all twenty of us would drink or eat 400 bucks worth of stuff in an hour. I just couldn't justify it! Not when I have two teens that want to do really cool excursions and shopping in ports. I'd rather spend it on them anyday.

Being married going on 28 years, I have often wanted to do a vow renewal on the ship - especially for our 25th. Looking into it, I felt it was too expensive for what they offered, since there are usually only 4 of us cruising. Instead, I take a bottle of our favorite wine out on our balcony, and we "renew" our vows each and every cruise. Just remember - if you renew your vows on an island, there is the chance you will "miss" that island due to bad weather, medical emergency, etc. Good luck, and congrats!:)

Congrats on 28 yrs! What a beautiful thing!

I have been obsessing with which way to go with this. I love ur idea! I was thinking if all else fails I would just pull him on deck at sunset or perhaps on the beach and tell him how blessed I am to be married to my best friend. ;)

Enuff said!

I thought I would throw my 2 cents in here, since we were faced with the same decisions. Ours is a wedding, not a renewal, but it's close!

We also didn't like giving up so much control by having a wedding that we couldn't actually plan, or know any details until the last minute. We also wanted to get married on deck, but were told no. I'm not sure why they won't perform ceremonies on deck. We were told we would be given our wedding location on the ship at the last minute, and it may be in the conference room. I don't mean to be picky, but I'm NOT getting married in a conference room!

There are plenty of choices to pick from for a ceremony at any of the ports you will stop at during your cruise. We decided we didn't want to take up our precious port time with our wedding ceremony.

The decision we finally made was to get married BEFORE our cruise, and we

plan to fly in to Miami 2 days early and drive to Key West to get married.

We found a couple who perform beach weddings and they have beach

photography packages too. The wife is the wedding officient, and the husband does the photography. (Flowers and boutineer included). The prices are reasonable, and about 1/2 the price Carnival was going to charge for a possible conference room.

We felt this was a good choice for us because we are in more control of our wedding and details, AND we will be married on a beach, which is just as good

as the deck of the ship. And much better than a conference room. :)

Yeah, I wasn't feeling the whole conference room/library thing either!! :eek:

I think you made the best decision to get married before and cruise for your honeymoon. I'm sure it will be beautiful! Congratulations!!

We are planning on renewing our vows on the legend in march. We are going to do it on our own. Never have cruised before not sure on the spot yet but either the back or top of the ship or in the enchanted hallway we will check it out once on the ship. I plan on buying a couple of bottles of champane a cake and would love to have dinner in the steak house but with a 4 and 10 year old didn't think they could last that long so we will dine in the main dining room in all of our finery.

We are planning on renewing our vows on the legend in march. We are going to do it on our own. Never have cruised before not sure on the spot yet but either the back or top of the ship or in the enchanted hallway we will check it out once on the ship. I plan on buying a couple of bottles of champane a cake and would love to have dinner in the steak house but with a 4 and 10 year old didn't think they could last that long so we will dine in the main dining room in all of our finery.

Djmaine,

I'm with you...I figure we could plan to "renew" on the day of our steakhouse reservations. Then afterwards...party!! :)

Perhaps you would consider babysitting services with camp carnival for the kiddos so you and hubby can have a romantic dinner? Just a thought.

Our kids are now 13 & 14 yrs old but I do remember many Many anniversary dinners as a family when they were very young so I could totally understand if that's out of your comfort level.

Congrats and have a wonderful cruise!

HI we just came off the legend. We renewed our vows. I did the lowest package. It was wonderful and I would recommend it to anyone. They did a beautiul job. The cake was deicious and the champangne was great. We got the glasses the cake toper picture, and ordered many more. We also were in a chapel, which was beautiful and a private room for the reception. Do t you will not reget it.

The money you would save by not buying a CCL vow renewal package ($385, I think someone wrote) could be spent in many other ways - 1. get a cake from bon voyage - they are delicious, inexpensive, and delivered to your cabin or dinner table whenever you chose 2. Steakhouse reservations - $60 for a knock-out dinner for 2. 3. Decorate your cabin for your anniversary - they do a fantastic job for a great price 4. Couples massage, if you are into that- they run specials on port days. 4. Roses/chocolate covered strawberries waiting in your cabin. (I did the roses last cruise - I put in one "fake" rose, and wrote a note saying "I will love you until the last rose dies." DH actually didn't figure that one out until I pointed out the fake rose, cause it looked so lifelike.) These suggestions would still come in under the almost $400 Carnival wants. And you can get photos any night (especially formal nights) you want, in many locations on the ship. As I said - I would love to do it "formally" on the ship, but cb at sea put it perfectly - " you don't need to pay anyone to renew your love for each other.":)

The money you would save by not buying a CCL vow renewal package ($385, I think someone wrote) could be spent in many other ways - 1. get a cake from bon voyage - they are delicious, inexpensive, and delivered to your cabin or dinner table whenever you chose 2. Steakhouse reservations - $60 for a knock-out dinner for 2. 3. Decorate your cabin for your anniversary - they do a fantastic job for a great price 4. Couples massage, if you are into that- they run specials on port days. 4. Roses/chocolate covered strawberries waiting in your cabin. (I did the roses last cruise - I put in one "fake" rose, and wrote a note saying "I will love you until the last rose dies." DH actually didn't figure that one out until I pointed out the fake rose, cause it looked so lifelike.) These suggestions would still come in under the almost $400 Carnival wants. And you can get photos any night (especially formal nights) you want, in many locations on the ship. As I said - I would love to do it "formally" on the ship, but cb at sea put it perfectly - " you don't need to pay anyone to renew your love for each other.":)

all very good suggestions!!!!! When we renew our vows we will buy a cake and buy a couple of bottles of champane. I just can't wait!!

We are cruising on the conquest June 12th for our 25th and are having the same dilemma! We never had a honeymoon when we got married. My husband had to deploy to Okinawa three days after we were married. It was not until our 18th that we ever got to even spend our anniversary together it seemed like he was always deployed during may. So I really want this to be special. We have some friends and family coming also!

My husband and I just reconciled after a 5 year separation, so naturally we think renewing our vows is an excellent thing to do. Having discovered cruising 2 years ago, I want to now share that experience with him, so I came up with the brilliant idea to cruise on our anniversary this year, renewing our vows on board.

So, I wrote to my travel agent with stars in my eyes relaying our wonderful news and asking for prices for cruises during the month of our anniversary. September.

He wrote back: "September? Really? Hurricane season?! Are you SURE you want to travel during hurricane season?!" I felt kind of foolish, because I, um, work in the disaster relief business and I know September is a common month for hurricanes! Especially in the Gulf! But, I had stars in my eyes and love in my heart, so I was blind, lol.

So, instead we are taking a cruise next month. And we will still renew our vows in September - it will just be on dry land, lol.

We are renewing our 40th wedding anniversary vows onboard the Spirit in July. So I thought I would share what I have planned so far.

First, we are taking a sleeper car on the train to Seattle . . . not only is it relaxing but I can take up to 3 checked suitcases per person without paying extra . . . so I can take all of my wedding supplies in an old suitcase and then leave it on the ship with a note to please throw away.

Next, we will have a day and a night in Seattle . . . so we are inviting everyone to a dinner at a famous and reasonable seafood restaurant right on the water . . . instead of a rehearsal dinner it will be a "roast and toast" for lots of fun. Everyone will be receiving a silver cruise ship luggage tag favor and and invite to our Sail Away Party and I will be asking my best friend of 50 years to stand with me during the ceremony (she was in my wedding but I was a fool and did not ask her to be my maid of honor).

Then we are all wearing custom T shirts for our group to board. After the drill, we will be hosting a Sail Away party on our huge extended balcony where everyone will receive a gift bag which will include such things as post it notes, highlighters, and the wedding invite and itinerary, tour plans (that we are doing with everyone), a corsage or bout. for everyone, some treats and other goodies. We will be bringing on our allowance of 2 bottles of wine per person purchased in Seattle and ordering canapes thru the bon voyage department ahead of time. We have also offered to share our balcony for viewing during the cruise with anyone who does not have a balcony view of their own.

Our ceremony will be held on the first formal night at 4PM in the Chapel. I booked the Chapel for free thru the event planning department even tho we do not have an "official" Carnival group. If no one else has signed up for it you are good to go. Our sons (who are a hoot) are doing the ceremony. It should be tender and fun at the same time. One son will also play our favorite song on his Ipod for the processional. We have asked all the ladies to wear red and all the men to wear black suits or sportcoats, white shirts and red ties.

This will be followed by a champagne toast in the piano bar and a dance to "our" song (Could I have this dance by Anne Murrey) which I will set up beforehand with the bartenders including red and gold cocktail napkins. Then moving on we will all have portraits taken together by the photogs at the various backgrounds set up around the ship. Followed by dinner in the main dining room at 6PM with anytime dining but planned ahead with the maitre d'. There will be red electric candles (that I bring) around the centerpiece on the table which will be the cake. Now the cake is working this way . . . you can order two different size heart cakes when you board and then simply ask them to stack them and add the floral topper that I am bringing. I will also have large candy bars favors wrapped in our photo and red napkins. All easy things to transport. We will order wine in the dining room for everyone to have a toast.

Finally, we will be planning two tours on our own for others to join us on . . . we are renting a mini van in Juneau and Skagway in order to be on our own to visit things that we want to do. Then others who want to join us can share the cost which makes it very cheap per person.

That's the main stuff but there will be so much more. I am having a ball doing this on my own and saving a ton of money while doing it. By the way, all of the flowers including my bouquet are silk flowers I picked out and bought at half price and then a florist is putting them together for a song. And they are gorgeous! Also I am ordering all of the paper items like invites on Vista Prints for really cheap. And I don't have to order 50 or a hundred . . . just order what I really need. Hope this gives you all some ideas you can use.

Finally,

Archived