How do you get embarkation champagne chilled?

dadecitycruiser

I wish HAL would do better at this :) We have had that experience, too -- oh yummy -- warm sparkling wine :rolleyes: As I was typing, it occurred to me that possibly not everyone who GETS "champagne" has actually ordered it, and possibly will want to trade it in for a red or white???? And if the champagne bottle label has been ruined, that bottle can't be re-sold???

What I did was track down my cabin steward and ask for SEVERAL buckets of ice, once I got to my cabin. Dumped them on the wine bottle in the sink. Not nearly as appealing as already-chilled-and-waiting, but it was good and chilly for sailaway.

Every single cruise, our Welcome Aboard Champagne has always been in an ice bucket being chilled. Certainly, in time, the ice will melt but you need only ask for more ice to keep it chilled.

I wish HAL would do better at this :) We have had that experience, too -- oh yummy -- warm sparkling wine :rolleyes: As I was typing, it occurred to me that possibly not everyone who GETS "champagne" has actually ordered it, and possibly will want to trade it in for a red or white???? And if the champagne bottle label has been ruined, that bottle can't be re-sold???

What I did was track down my cabin steward and ask for SEVERAL buckets of ice, once I got to my cabin. Dumped them on the wine bottle in the sink. Not nearly as appealing as already-chilled-and-waiting, but it was good and chilly for sailaway.

Ask for a champagne bucket and ice. Actually, there is usually one in the cabinet in our cabin but we always find our champagne has been put on ice.

Every single cruise, our Welcome Aboard Champagne has always been in an ice bucket being chilled. Certainly, in time, the ice will melt but you need only ask for more ice to keep it chilled.

And the few times I've ordered it, there it has sat, on the dresser, room temperature, with no bottle-sized ice bucket to be seen. Of course, this might be another of those "different ships do things differently" things. Or possibly it is because you're always in a suite, whereas DH and I are cellar dwellers?

Euueew warm Goat Urine ...that's a big no no in my books. I can't do warm Champagne at all...it;s got to be Glacier Cold! and especially if it's the cheap stuff....LOL

And the few times I've ordered it, there it has sat, on the dresser, room temperature, with no bottle-sized ice bucket to be seen. Of course, this might be another of those "different ships do things differently" things. Or possibly it is because you're always in a suite, whereas DH and I are cellar dwellers?

Hopefully on your upcoming cruise when you won't be a 'cellar dweller', you will find your champagne, in bucket, on ice. :) I hope you do and that you enjoy it.

Ask for a champagne bucket and ice. Actually, there is usually one in the cabinet in our cabin but we always find our champagne has been put on ice.

This has been my experience also. Really nice to arrive and have it ready for us. I love HAL:)

Yes. It may be a suite thing VS other rooms. We had a veranda room last time and there it sat, on the table.

DCC

Yes, it's a suite thing, in my experience. But asking nicely is a good idea.

And, yes, the "welcome aboard" champagne is goat urine, warm or cold.

If they have Veuve, I order that. If they don't, or it's outrageou$, at least Chandon is better than goat urine.

Yes -- the suites will (or should) find their sparkling wine chilled when they get to the cabin -- that is routine.

But all other cabin categories you will need to track down one of your cabin stewards and ask for a bucket of ice.

When we get to the cabin -- we pull out the free sprakling wine and dry off the bottle -- in a day or 2 we do exchange it for something better that we like.

I have only had a 'suite' once, but in all cruises, (admittedly not that many) it has been chilled. Can we quit calling it goat urine, please? Just a gross saying, whether you like the stuff or not.

I call the CHEAP stuff that by name..sorry no offense meant personally but not my pig not my farm as I would say.;):D;)

Hopefully on your upcoming cruise when you won't be a 'cellar dweller', you will find your champagne, in bucket, on ice. :) I hope you do and that you enjoy it.

I'll make note. :D

edited to add: I might even take a picture, and add it to the list of "stuff I won't get again on a cruise ship for a long, loooooooong time :D

>SNIP<

When we get to the cabin -- we pull out the free sprakling wine and dry off the bottle -- in a day or 2 we do exchange it for something better that we like.

Thanks for that tip. I only order it when I'm travelling with friends and can share with them. DH won't drink champagne, and I don't want to be responsible for an entire bottle :eek: ;)

We were in an SC suite in December. Our complimentary bottle of champagne was waiting for us, but just on the counter, definitely not on ice. This was ok with us as we took it to dinner and traded it in.

I would hope that if we ORDERED a bottle of champagne to be waiting that it would be chilled, but not sure what magic it would take to make that happen.

In our first Deluxe Suite experience (November Zuiderdam) our complimentary bottle of champagne was waiting for us in a champagne ice bucket. Unfortunately I didn't notice until sail-away that there was no "ice" in the bucket. :eek: We drank it later in the week. I've had better ... but I've had a lot worse too.

I have pre-ordered champagne before for delivery to the room on the first day and it is just sitting there on the table. Not in a bucket of ice. I would really like it to be ready when we get in the room. How do you do that?

Any ideas?

DCC

Put them in the macrowave! Isn't it obvious, if a MICROWAVE heats things, a MACROWAVE would chill them.

On the Rotterdam our bottle of champagne was on the counter, not on ice, but right next to a champagne bucket full of ice. We had arrived fairly early and put the bottle in the ice, went off to lunch and by sail away it was nicely chilled. This was our first deluxe suite stay, so I do not know what is "normal" these things.

Archived