San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

• 2 weeks later...
Wineaux can you help with my questions in post 176?

Sorry for the late reply. Just getting back from vacation.

Your best bet would be to take a taxi over to Long Beach, Have fun!!

If this has already been answered, I apologize.

We will be staying one night pre-cruise at the Double Tree in San Pedro. We are flying and not renting a car. So, wondering if there are any places to eat within walking distance? Fast food is fine. What about the Double Tree itself? What does the hotel offer in restaurants?

Thanks!

You'll be within walking distance of 22nd Street Landing (specializing in fish).

It's a lovely stroll through the marina.

Thanks

However we don't like sea food. Do you know if there are (within walking distance) maybe an Olive Garden, Chili's, Outback or even Subway, Burger King, McDonald's? Kinda thinking fast food for a quick lunch or even breakfast but a little nicer for dinner. We love Mexican, or Italian. Any suggestions of places like these that we could walk too?

Thanks

However we don't like sea food. Do you know if there are (within walking distance) maybe an Olive Garden, Chili's, Outback or even Subway, Burger King, McDonald's? Kinda thinking fast food for a quick lunch or even breakfast but a little nicer for dinner. We love Mexican, or Italian. Any suggestions of places like these that we could walk too?

It depends on how far you'd care to walk...If not, I believe the hotel will shuttle you to a few places...

22nd St. Landing is about the only place really close...but, a little further up beyond that is Ports O' Call Village which, for the most part, has more seafood places...but to the northern end of this is Acapulco, a local chain Mexican restaurtant which, though not the most authentic, is, at least tempered toward Gringo tastes...it is also fairly reasonably priced and this is one of the nicer ones in the chain--with views of the waterfront...

http://www.acapulcorestaurants.com/map.aspx?locationID=24

Going a little up and inland from here, you are in the area around the Crowne Plaza and there are several places around here...my favorite would be the San Pedro Brewing Co. with a nice array of everything from salads and sandwiches to seafood and burgers, steaks and BBQ...

http://sanpedrobrewing.com/

Of course, you are maybe 15-20 blocks from your hotel, so, unless you are an avid walker, you may want to ask the front desk at the Doubletree to drive you there and pick you up...

Edited by Bruin Steve

It depends on how far you'd care to walk...If not, I believe the hotel will shuttle you to a few places...

22nd St. Landing is about the only place really close...but, a little further up beyond that is Ports O' Call Village which, for the most part, has more seafood places...but to the northern end of this is Acapulco, a local chain Mexican restaurtant which, though not the most authentic, is, at least tempered toward Gringo tastes...it is also fairly reasonably priced and this is one of the nicer ones in the chain--with views of the waterfront...

http://www.acapulcorestaurants.com/map.aspx?locationID=24

Going a little up and inland from here, you are in the area around the Crowne Plaza and there are several places around here...my favorite would be the San Pedro Brewing Co. with a nice array of everything from salads and sandwiches to seafood and burgers, steaks and BBQ...

http://sanpedrobrewing.com/

Of course, you are maybe 15-20 blocks from your hotel, so, unless you are an avid walker, you may want to ask the front desk at the Doubletree to drive you there and pick you up...

Thank you very much. Now for fall to get here. Sorry to wish away the summer. Ours is pretty yucky anyway, We have been in a rainy pattern since February. Can't get away from rain and gloom several days a week. Oh well, something wonderful to look forward to is just around the corner. Thanks again for your suggestions.

what time are you getting in? If it is late you may not have much of a choice since most close their kitchens by 9pm. No fast food but there is a Mexican place called Maria's at the corner of 22nd street and Pacific that is within walking distance and I believe their kitchen is open until 10pm.

We will be in by early afternoon the day before the cruise so we will have the whole day.

I have no idea how pricey the hotel food will be.

Two years ago when we did this same trip, we stayed in Long Beach at the Hilton. We walked around and there were alot of places near the Queen Mary. We ended up eating at California Pizza Kitchen. We enjoyed that alot. But, the taxi the next morning was a bit much for such a short drive because of traffic. So, this time we are staying in San Pedro.

Alot of times the hotels get pizza delivery. Do you know if there is anything like that for that area?

We are really looking forward to San Pedro. The marina area sounds very pretty.

I aprreciate everyones help and suggestions. Thanks!

No lack of pizza places in San Pedro. Try either Nick's Pizza or Buono's. The best pizza place in town is Pavich's Pizza but at the moment they are not delivering but Danny said they would sometime this summer. Since you are coming in early there are plenty of places to go downtown that the hotel can shuttle you to. Or, if you prefer to walk try Maria's (they deliver as well).

I've been checking out car services from San Pedro Cruise Terminal to our hotel (the Omni) in Los Angeles. Karmel.com quoted $82 and Execucar (part of Super Shuttle) quoted $71. That is for 4 people with luggage. Is one more reliable than the other? Experience?

We will be taking Amtrak home and the station is about a mile from the Omni.

I've been checking out car services from San Pedro Cruise Terminal to our hotel (the Omni) in Los Angeles. Karmel.com quoted $82 and Execucar (part of Super Shuttle) quoted $71. That is for 4 people with luggage. Is one more reliable than the other? Experience?

We will be taking Amtrak home and the station is about a mile from the Omni.

Anyone?

Please be patient with us. I don't think any of us are online on CC all the time. So if you have a question, we won't see it until we check in here.

Anyway, I've heard both of these services are fine. I'm sure eventually others will check in here. The only service I've used recently was Prime Time, which we had a major (yes, screwing up both pickups is major in my book) problem. So I wouldn't recommend them.

Do you know where the Crowne Plaza shuttle drops you at the World Cruise Center? How far would we have to handle our luggage? Thanks!

I would imagine they would leave you right in front of your berth. Just as any other shuttle or taxi. The porters would be right there.

Do you know where the Crowne Plaza shuttle drops you at the World Cruise Center? How far would we have to handle our luggage? Thanks!

they will drop you right in front of your terminal. so maybe 20-30 feet?

Edited by Wineaux

If you are on a Princess ship they will typically drop you off on an island which is three traffic lanes from the terminal, however there will be porters waiting there on the island to take your checked luggage and that is the last you will see of it until it arrives in you cabin. You will cross the three traffic lanes, turn right and enter the terminal building

I am still in a quandry about where we are staying post cruise for one night. It's a long story I can't even begin to write on CC. :rolleyes:

I kept coming back to the Crowne Plaza but I didn't like the Trip Advisor reviews. I did some research tonight and found the reviews for the Crowne Plaza on other websites are MUCH better. So, I called the hotel direct tonight and got some good information from a wonderful and helpful gentleman (Barry?). I wanted to share the good info I got from the hotel tonight. He said...

*They still have the regular shuttle to and from the ports, free of charge.

*If you don't want to wait for their shuttle to and from the ports, it is about a $5 to $10 taxi fee from the port to the hotel.

*They still offer the free shuttle to local restaurants, local stores, the Catalina Express, etc... but it is based on AVAILABILITY now. If the shuttle isn't busy, they will gladly take you. He said.. "like tonight, the shuttle isn't busy so we would take you to the Catalina Express but it isn't always slow like this, depends on when you are here."

*A cab to/from Catalina Express and the Crowne Plaza is $5 to $10.

*They have free luggage storage if you arrive early and your room isn't ready. I believe he said this storage was "unlimited" and they "always" have room for everyone's luggage.

*Lots of restaurants within walking distance.

In general, I really liked the info this guy gave me and I really liked his attitude. He had read the Trip Advisor reviews and I liked what he had to say about them.

Having said the above... we are Hilton Honors members and are racking-up points for 3 different Hilton Hotel stays on this next trip (it's a total of 19 nights away). So, in fairness, I called the DoubleTree tonight, too. She said almost the same thing...

*Free shuttle to/from cruise port

*Free shuttle to/from restaurants,etc within a 5 mile radius. She said all the restaurants are within a mile.

*She said a taxi would be about $10 to $15 to/from Doubletree and the Cruise Port.

*She said they have one restaurant within walking distance but she highly recommended their onsite restaurant and bar with indoor and outdoor seating.

*They also offer free luggage storage if your room is not ready when you arrive.

That's the info I have. Hope it helps someone. It helped me. Next post.... questions for San Peeeeedrans. ;)

Wineaux & Bruin Steve & anyone in the know...

If you read the post above (?)... we are NOW considering getting off the ship, leaving luggage at a hotel in San Pedro, going to Catalina for the day, returning and spending the night at the hotel in San Pedro before flying out the next afternoon.

FYI ~ I'm a picky hotel person. :o

Questions...

1) Which hotel would YOU choose ~ Doubletree or Crowne Plaza ~ and WHY? (If you don't mind answering :o)

2) IF we stay at the Crowne Plaza ~ is it SAFE to walk around at night ~ to the restaurants on 22nd Street Landing??

3) WHY would a seafood/seaside restaurant already be closed by 9:00 at night, btw?? The girl on the phone (at Doubletree tonight) told me September through November is the busiest time of year for them.

3) If we stay in San Pedro is the Super Shuttle the most economical transfer to LAX the next day??

Thank you for answering!!! I will be so glad when I get this last day & night planned & reservations made! :confused: