Cairo Anti-Government Demonstrations

Capricruiser

Hi! We are not going to wait after final payment to decide what to do. I can understand if RCCL waits a couple of weeks to make their decisions. I can only tell you that our ship is really far from being full and if I didn't have a reservation I wouldn't make a new one right now. If by the time of final payment they still have Egypt as a port of call and we don't feel that the political situation is stable, then we will cancel. We already have our non-refundable airfare, and that's our problem. We are making alternate plans, if Royal changes the itinerary to the Holy Land we will cruise with them, if they don't, we will do a land vacation.

I hope you have purchased your own air and not through RCCL/Celebrity/Azamara Choice Air.

If you booked through RCCL's Choice Air portal and you cancel, RCCL will also cancel your air. You will not own your airfare.

Hi; when are you leaving? We are cruising on the Mariner of the Seas, June 4 departure. Our cruise stops in Sicily, Athens, Kusadasi, Rhodes, Alexandria (two days), Naples and back to Rome. It is a 12 nights cruise and the following cruise (June 16), goes to Naples,Kusadasi, Crete Athens, Rhodes, Haifa and Ashdod Israel, is also a 12 nights cruise.

At the end of April. It is the repositioning cruise from Dubai to Athens.

I would not worry about it if I was you. You have many ports and if it is not safe RCCL will substitute the ports. In our situation Azamaa is taking Quest through the Suez Canal to Athens to start her European season (which does start with a couple of HolyLand cruises). We on the other hand have no way to avoid Egypt. Even if we skip Alexandria, the Suez is in Egypt. We have non-refundable air that could be changed for a fee BUT one is booked through Choice Air. We can not just cancel the cruise and use the air for a land vacation. If we cancel the cruise, Azamara will cancel the air and we will receive a $0 refund.

Hi; when are you leaving? We are cruising on the Mariner of the Seas, June 4 departure. Our cruise stops in Sicily, Athens, Kusadasi, Rhodes, Alexandria (two days), Naples and back to Rome. It is a 12 nights cruise and the following cruise (June 16), goes to Naples,Kusadasi, Crete Athens, Rhodes, Haifa and Ashdod Israel, is also a 12 nights cruise.

We're doing a similar cruise on Mariner, April 18 but ours is only 11 nights. Looks like the only diference is that we don't call in Sicily. We have been to Rome, Athens, and Naples before so the real selling point of this itinerary was Alexandria/Cairo. I have been tracking this itinerary for over 2 YEARS and at $899pp it was the cheapest I'd ever seen and on a much better ship than in the past so we booked last month. This, of course, was before mayhem ensued...

We are also locked into non-refundable air to Rome. It's either stick with it and embrace whatever happens, cancel the cruise and fly to rome for a land-based trip or different cruise (though, I have to say being loyal to royal and only options being Costa and MSC they don't look too appealing), or pay $250pp in air change fees.

Today is the last day for 100% cruise refund. What to do...what to do...?

Latest new is that demonstrations have thrown a Molotov coctail on the roof of the Egyptian Museum. I have to wonder who would intentionally try to destroy their country's heritage?!

I didn't hear that. I did see a report that a Molotov Cocktail was thrown into the gardens in front of the Egyptian Museum, with no damage to the building itself. Is that what you saw maybe? It would take a pretty good arm to throw one onto the roof of the building I think, especially since access to the building is being restricted by the Army, so the throw would have to come from ouside the fence.

I just checked my facebook and there was a short post from our guide ! I was so happy to hear that he and family are ok - just shocked at the situation there. He asked for our prayers for Egypt. So, internet is working again - at least for now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1352918/Egypt-protests-CNNs-Anderson-Cooper-attacked-Hosni-Mubarak-supporters.html?ITO=1490

In the line of fire: Anderson Cooper punched in the head as Couric and Amanpour are attacked by protesters in Egypt

I know this isn't exactly the 'right' word, but- Wow. Thank you for posting this.

I see no reason not to book a cruise that includes Egypt think the situation is very clear, if Egypt will not be save at the time of our cruise then your cruise company will go to alternative ports, and all companies will act the same.

I can tell you what the situation now is. MSC had canceled Egypt and the Magnifica is in Haifa today as planed but is going to stay overnight instead of 1 day only. So no Pyramids on this cruise but they got Jerusalem and Nazareth instead.

Tomson Celebration is coming to Eilat this Tuesday for un planed port call and are doing overnights instead of Sharem. They will get Jerusalem and the Dead Sea instead.

Are this bad deal? I don't know, I am not objective…

If Egypt gets cancelled, I am hoping for 2 days in ISRAEL !!!! :D

Azamara just switched Egypt for Santorini.

RCCL description of our cruise is "12 night Mediterranean Egypt Cruise", we really like Santorini but we will be really disappointed if Egypt is switched for Santorini.

This is RCCL updated on the situation:

Protests in EgyptFebruary 3, 2011

Royal Caribbean International is closely monitoring the protests currently taking place in Egypt. Royal Caribbean is not scheduled to call on Egypt until April 21, 2011. We will continue to closely monitor the changing situation in Egypt and will contact guests or their travel agents should we make any modifications to upcoming itineraries.

Azamara Quest - April 24, May 6, May 16

The Royal Caribbean cruises that were going to Egypt up to the end of June have all been redeployed to Istanbul. The redeployment office at RCI have told me that the decision is permanent. So, although the peaceful demonstrations are likely to end now that Mubarak has stepped down, RCI's decision for those cruises will remain in place. People who have booked on those cruises are being given until Feb.16 at 6PM to change or cancel their cruise with no penalty.:(

If the travel warnings are removed I hope they will reinstate the port stops, not only to satisfy the travellers, Egypt being a highlight of any middle east trip, but also to bring tourism back to Egypt. They need the support of the rest of the world at this stage and tourism is an important part of that. We had three stops in Egypt (on the Costa line early April) so my fingers are crossed for reinstatement asap :)

Don't even count on getting back to Egypt at least until next year. As far as RCI or any other cruise line they already made all arrangements with other ports. It's a huge financial decision. They can't just jump back and forth every 7 days just to make a group of cruises happy. Those who'd love to go to Egypt (and Jordan, BTW) (including myself) will have to be patient and find different itineraries for the next 12-15 months. And then we'll see what's gonna happen.

We were on the 14 night NCL Jade in dec/jan 2009/2010 and it was so interesting to see the places shown on CNN having been there. We are so saddened by the damage and looting at the museum, not in the name of freedom, just greed !!!

I'm glad we went when we did, we have no reason to return, I wish them all the best.

Archived