Fain confirms talks on RCI new build

[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred]It would be SOOO nice if RCI would built a class of ships that would sail out of Florida and be small enough to be able to port somewhere other than Cozumel, St. Maarten and St. Thomas....they are getting a little routine for those of us that cruise often. That fact alone is making us look more seriously into cruising on a different cruise line...just so that we can see new places....[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='compman9']There will be only one factor that will be considered - how to squeeze as much money out of their consumers in the nicest way possible :D

To achieve this they will pull off the neat trick they achieved with Central Park - all the paid for restaurants in one attractive environment.

[COLOR=red][B]Ooops forgot about the free Central Park Cafe.[/B][/COLOR]

This has been so successful in a design fashion, few have even noticed there are only two places to eat dinner without paying on the whole Oasis class ship :eek:

[B][COLOR=red]Like other cruise ships and cruise lines that only offer the Main Dining Room and the Lido Buffet. Don't forget the free pizza at Sorrento's.[/COLOR][/B]

Celebrity's Solstice class ships paid for restaurants are also in one area of a nicely arranged part of the ship. This design will be considered on a smaller ship.

There is also some excellent space management in the smaller cabins on the Oasis class ships, so this will also be adopted.

So, adding all that together whatever it is it will likely feature more paid for stuff and smaller rooms. Oh, and a heavy reliance on loyalists to say how wonderful it all is ;)[/quote]

Obviously you are an expert on RCI with insider information. Because your knowledge seems to exceed what us loyalists experience when we sail with RCI.

[quote name='cruisingator2']I don't take much stock in what most crew members tell me. Most are just giving you what you want to hear. It will be interesting to see what they come up with in design but you can bet that it will be something fresh and innovative. At least one cruise company still believes in raising the bar in place of building the same old ship over and over.;)[/quote]

Maybe this time they will build a bigger water slide.:):D

[quote name='Richard Fain'] We have been working intensively on developing a design that reflects our innovative spirit, but in an efficient package and we think that we are near to an acceptable outcome,’ he said. [/quote]

Hints toward the rumors a few of us have heard....possibly new RCI innovations on an already existing hull design....possibly Solstice.

[quote name='ichur']I really would enjoy the retractible dome on the main pool deck as long as they make a place for those of us who are allergic to the sun or have [COLOR=red][B]major reasons to be out of the sun[/B][/COLOR], like radiaiton treatments. I have enjoyed the domes over the solarium but the [COLOR=red][B]Oasis and Allure[/B][/COLOR] really don't have a place to enjoy yourself without being in the direct sun. It is even hard to find a hot tub that has some shade on it.

Since we love the large ships a new class between the Freedom and Oasis would be welcome or even a class between the Radiance and Voyager class that could go to new islands and places that Royal Caribbean has not offered before.

Take care...
Irene & Miles[/quote]

You will be able to find some shade loungers in the Solarium. I used them while DW sat in the sun. The hot tub will be a timing thing. Depends on the time of day and where the angle of the sun is in the sky. The ship can create shade on a hot tub on one side of the ship.

[quote name='Aquahound']Hints toward the rumors a few of us have heard....possibly new RCI innovations on an already existing hull design....possibly Solstice.[/quote]

It makes perfect sense whe you lok at the names of the Celebrity brand Solstice class ships. They are all "solar" event names: Solstice, Equinox and Eclipse. "Sunshine" seems like an appropriate name for a new project based upon a Solstice Class hull.

Eric

[quote name='BillOh']If it would be an upgrade for that carrier and if new ships will presumably operate at greater efficiencies, it could be a win/win.[/QUOTE]

Half the RCI fleet is out of the US in the summer because the company makes more money homeporting them over there. Why wouldn't RCI keep the new Sunshine ships out of the continental US at times. None of the 3 existing Solstice class ships or the new Silhouette will be here this summer.

The M & M boys are cash cows and hold almost 2,800 people even though they are tiny by current standards. This is the formula Carnival uses in it's ships, cram more people into a given space then RCI would with a similarly sized ship. Less steel, glass, chrome, etc. to haul around results in less fuel needed to move the ship w/o counting pax and crew.

The Solstice holds 2,850 and measures 122,500 GRT and 1020 feet ; the M & M boys hold 2,750 and measure out at 73,500 GRT and 880 feet.

[quote name='The Big Booper']

The Solstice holds 2,850 and measures 122,500 GRT and 1020 feet ; the M & M boys hold 2,750 and measure out at 73,500 GRT and 880 feet.[/QUOTE]

It should be noted you are comparing the M&M max capacity to the Solstice double occupancy.

[quote name='wrich427'] I heard that the next class would be between Voyager and Freedom classes in terms of size.[/QUOTE]

This sounds more likely than the somewhere between the Radiance and Explorer class.
They've talked about economies of scale and would need space for all of their "for pay" venues.
I think longer cruises (7 days or more) are likely. It gives them more time to grab your money before you leave

[quote name='DanJ']It should be noted you are comparing the M&M max capacity to the Solstice double occupancy.[/quote]

I know. I have looked and can't find the max capacity of the S class ships.

We were on the Monarch in July 1995 when the Captain announced a record passenger load of 2,650. This was the era of the mostly 48,000 GRT ship except for the 3 Sovereign class ships and the earliest 2 Carnival Fantasy class ships.

In any case, assuming that an S class ship would have 250 kids tops, there is still a big cost benefit in running the old ships. Think of it as a 12 year old gas hog car getting 12 mpg as opposed to a new 28 mpg car. No car loan on the old gas burner.

[quote name='compman9']
There is also some excellent space management in the smaller cabins on the Oasis class ships, so this will also be adopted.
[/quote]

Have you never been to Disney World? Las Vegas? Dollywood?

It's the nature of business.

[quote name='compman9']

This has been so successful in a design fashion, few have even noticed there are [B]only two places to eat dinner without paying on the whole Oasis class ship[/B] :eek:
[/quote]
[B]

How about:

The buffet
the dining room
Sorentos
The Promenade Cafe
Room service (yes, you would be expected to tip)

[/B][quote name='compman9']

Celebrity's Solstice class ships paid for restaurants are also in one area of a nicely arranged part of the ship. This design will be considered on a smaller ship.

[/quote]

Bistro on 5 is quite removed from the others.

[quote name='compman9']

So, adding all that together whatever it is it will likely feature more paid for stuff and smaller rooms. Oh, and a heavy reliance on loyalists to say how wonderful it all is ;)[/quote]

You are likely right but it helps to balance out the sour people.

Oasis of the Seas INCLUDED (no extra charge) places to eat:
B- Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner

Cafe Promenade (B, L, D)
Mondo Coffee Bar (Snack)
Sorrentos (B. L. D)
Park Cafe (B, L, D)
Boardwalk Bar (Snack)
Boardwalk Donut Shop (B, L, D, Snack)
Vitality Cafe (Snack)
Wipe Out Cafe (B, L, D, Snack)
Concierge Lounge (B, L, D, Suite guests)
Main Dining Room (B, L, D)
Windjammer Marketplace (B, L, D)
Room Service (B, L, D)

That definately appears to be more than 2 places to get something to eat at no extra charge, except perhaps a gratuity for room service.

[quote name='cruisingator2']I don't take much stock in what most crew members tell me. Most are just giving you what you want to hear. It will be interesting to see what they come up with in design but you can bet that it will be something fresh and innovative. At least one cruise company still believes in raising the bar in place of building the same old ship over and over.;)[/quote]

I guess your stock options are crashing! :D Sorry I couldn't resist!

[URL]http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4367[/URL]

My source was 100% correct! As I knew all along. :D

The ship will be 500 passengers bigger than Freedom class but smaller than Oasis.

[quote name='Jimbo7328']Talked with an RCI engineer in Jan during our last cruise. He indicated RCI had a class called "Sunshine Class" on the drawing board. Smaller than Oasis - larger than Freedom classes. One feature would be a retractible dome for main pool deck similar to the solarium so pool could be used in Alaska or during poor weather. Everything tentative for now, but looks like a good start.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a good idea for Bayonne in the winter too. I wonder if we could get Liberty in the summer and a Sunshine Class in the winter.

I wonder how many of these RCI will order...

[quote name='Trickie Dickie']I guess your stock options are crashing! :D Sorry I couldn't resist!

[URL]http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4367[/URL]

My source was 100% correct! As I knew all along. :D

The ship will be 500 passengers bigger than Freedom class but smaller than Oasis.[/quote]Well, you had a 50/50 chance. It was either going to be bigger than Freedom but smaller than Oasis... or it wasn't.;)

[quote name='The Grumpus']Well, you had a 50/50 chance. It was either going to be bigger than Freedom but smaller than Oasis... or it wasn't.;)[/quote]

I just can't win! :D Why do I try? :p

Anyhoo my friend was telling the truth and worked on the design of the new ship. I don't think I'm going to share anymore! Y'all can wait for the official announcements! :D

[quote name='Trickie Dickie']I just can't win! :D Why do I try? :p

Anyhoo my friend was telling the truth and worked on the design of the new ship. I don't think I'm going to share anymore! Y'all can wait for the official announcements! :D[/quote]Hey, lets get some pics of the design from your friend. We'll break this story wide open!:D

[quote name='Aoumd']Sounds like a good idea for Bayonne in the winter too. I wonder if we could get Liberty in the summer and a Sunshine Class in the winter.

I wonder how many of these RCI will order...[/quote]

[quote name='The Grumpus']Well, you had a 50/50 chance. It was either going to be bigger than Freedom but smaller than Oasis... or it wasn't.;)[/quote]

Bingo! We have a winner. Now that the official word is out it seems someone did have some good inside info. This thread is gonna probably slow down so that we can all follow the new official "Project Sunshine" Rumors and Predictions threads for the next 3 years! :D

Archived