Fain confirms talks on RCI new build

Disney is a special case. They sell the short 3/4 day cruises hooked into a stay with the Mouse on land. Your Disney SeaPass card also unlocks your Disney hotel and your luggage is delivered right to the hotel on the bus,

The second new Disney ship, out next year, will be doing the 7 day itineraries out of Florida.

Have you checked Disney's prices? Of course they give more but they are premium priced.

We are annual passholders to Disney but we have never sailed on their ships because they are so expensive. I agree they are a special case but from what I understand and I am certainly relying on nothing more than what I have heard around here, the sensation and the monarch sail full. I would cruise more on this itinerary since it is only 20 minutes from my house. I just wish the ships were nicer, like the beautiful Disney Dream.

Radiance and Celebrity Millennium classes are on same hull.

Celebrity Solstice class could be adopted easily to RCI as the basic layout is the same.

RCCL would be dumb not to do it......and Fain/Goldstein are not dumb.

RCCL is not dumb but I am not sure that Meyer will be able to meet the RCCL timelines based on the current and pending orders. The other part to consider is that the last 3 RCCL classes of ships (Voyager, Freedom and Oasis) have been built by STX in Turku Finland and that yard does not have any major orders for cruise ships. This means that RCCL can dictate terms and conditions due to the yard's need for work. They also know how RCCL likes things done. I heard that the next class would be between Voyager and Freedom classes in terms of size.

How many people were taking these short, inexpensive cruise to bolster their status in the Crown and Anchor Society? It will be interesting to see if bookings fall off a little now that C&A has announced their new point system.

Will be interesting to see.

I am amazed to see the number of first time cruises on short cruises. On the recent 4 night Radiance, there was a loud applause when the CD asked about first time cruiser. Not sure C&A status is a factor for these passengers.

M

RCCL is not dumb but I am not sure that Meyer will be able to meet the RCCL timelines based on the current and pending orders. The other part to consider is that the last 3 RCCL classes of ships (Voyager, Freedom and Oasis) have been built by STX in Turku Finland and that yard does not have any major orders for cruise ships. This means that RCCL can dictate terms and conditions due to the yard's need for work. They also know how RCCL likes things done. I heard that the next class would be between Voyager and Freedom classes in terms of size.

Meyer does not have to build those ships. Even though the Radiance class and the Millenium class were based on the same hull design, they were built by different shipyards. Radiance was built by Meyer Weft and Millenium class was built by Chantier de L'Atlantique.

Will be interesting to see.

I am amazed to see the number of first time cruises on short cruises. On the recent 4 night Radiance, there was a loud applause when the CD asked about first time cruiser. Not sure C&A status is a factor for these passengers.

M

I only wanted to get to platinum to get priority boarding. We drive to ports and want to get on early and get our vacation started!

How many people were taking these short, inexpensive cruise to bolster their status in the Crown and Anchor Society? It will be interesting to see if bookings fall off a little now that C&A has announced their new point system.

You've GOT to be kidding me right?

Those short inexpensive cruises are HUGE money makers for RCI.

These two are just a little too close in size to squeeze in another class

DW and I took a 4 nighter on Majesty last year for her birthday. We got it at a very cheap price. We also used the on board booking discount for our cruise coming up in five weeks. Coincidentally, that cruise moved us from gold to platinum but that is not the reason we booked it.

Meyer does not have to build those ships. Even though the Radiance class and the Millenium class were based on the same hull design, they were built by different shipyards. Radiance was built by Meyer Weft and Millenium class was built by Chantier de L'Atlantique.

Makes sense on the shipyard but just wondering if Royal will go back to STX or go somewhere else.

Does anyone recall the rumor that they were also considering a 4th Freedom class after Allure was completed?

I think the idea of a ship between Radiance and Voyager size would make sense as well

People with Royal Caribbean have been talking for a short while about a new class called the "Sunshine" class, which will be larger than the Radiance class and smaller than the Voyager class.

Sounds like a wonderful size to me.........if it is true!!

:)

Rick

Count me in for the inaugural voyage, whenever and wherever it may happen to be! :)

Over a year ago a Captain (remaining nameless) stated that RCCL's next build would be similar to the Solstice Class - he said that C&A members overwhelming love the Radiance Class of ships - lots of windows, sleek design and a bit more elegant than their larger ships. He didn't see anymore of the Genesis Class - the port infrastructure just isn't there and therefore limits the ships deployments and itineraries.

I would welcome a Solstice size ship within the fleet - it gives RCCL a new class of ships that most likely cater to a more mature cliental that will "graduate" from all of the higher energy sports and super-active lifestyles.

Makes sense on the shipyard but just wondering if Royal will go back to STX or go somewhere else.

Does anyone recall the rumor that they were also considering a 4th Freedom class after Allure was completed?

I think the idea of a ship between Radiance and Voyager size would make sense as well

There is a STX worker who posts on another cruise board who stated that a fourth Freedom will not happen as the number of improvements and changes made in technology since those ships were designed. The plans would have to be brought up to date. Easier to just design from the ground up a totally new design.

I would sat not THAT many per sailing, but there were probably some onboard. With 2000 or so per sailing, I doubt a couple dozen people sailing with intent on changing their C&A will change things much. Since I would think most of those sailed because they like the ship, are local, and used it as a nice, relatively inexpensive getaway that does not take up much time. Certainly that is why WE sailed it. The only trip we added in for C&A purposes was our last one, as we wanted to make sure we would be Diamond with the ruined changes (and obviously worked out well for us). For the most part we sail it for weekend getaways. When you are not retired, and have a child, you can't just jump on cheap offseason long cruises.

At the same time, we probably will expand more onto the CCL Imagination & NCL Sky as they sail out of the same port on the same itineraries. Just for variety now. We will still do the Majesty, and certainly would jump on any replacement ship that comes in if it were to leave next year (as had been discussed as a possibility)

If you are going to try the Sky, you better be quick, it's not going to be here long.

The yards often "float out" an unfinished ship, and open the drydock to start the next one while the previous one is fitted out and finished.

The Silhouette should deliver in the fall, and the Reflection could "float out" leaving a drydock to start a Solstice based hull.

The shipyards where these are built are indoors, and Google maps doesn't show how each ship is built, so I don't know if the do it similar to the way Oslo built the Freedom and Voyager class.

You've GOT to be kidding me right?

Those short inexpensive cruises are HUGE money makers for RCI.

Especially since those older ships have probably been paid for long ago.

I'm not sure what the normal percentage of past guest cruisers are on an RCI cruise, but the captain announced on the Navigator a few weeks ago that there were just over 900 repeat guest out of just over 3100.

If you are going to try the Sky, you better be quick, it's not going to be here long.

Where is she going?

I am aware that NCL has a new class of ship on order for a 2013 and 2014 delivery (145,000 GRT).

Although I've heard she's on a lease from Star cruiseline, I didn't know that she will be leaving the NCL fleet in the near future.

Just curious since our family will be cruising on her in April, 2011.

Where is she going?

I am aware that NCL has a new class of ship on order for a 2013 and 2014 delivery (145,000 GRT).

Although I've heard she's on a lease from Star cruiseline, I didn't know that she will be leaving the NCL fleet in the near future.

Just curious since our family will be cruising on her in April, 2011.

She's not leaving the NCL fleet, just leaving PC, I think she is being transferred to Miami, there was a press release about it a week or so ago

Even if they announce a new build or new builds in the near future it will most likely be late 2013 or mid 2014 before the first one debuts. That also assumes that the initial designs have been created and only the construction phase has to be completed. Since STX has had a very impressive record of building ships for RCI that come in on budget and beat delivery deadlines and they don't have new orders for cruise ships, I expect that they would be the favored contractor.

Certainly, RCI should be in a good bargaining position when the details of a contract are worked out.

Let's hope that more details are forthcoming. It will be nice to have a new topic for rumors and speculation.

We should also consider that if Oasis and Allure are successful in attracting new people to cruising that any new builds might be additions to the fleet and not necessarily replacements for Monarch and Majesty which might still have a number of years of service left.

Here is what Fain said about a new ship in the conference call today...

"Now I know the question, when will you order another ship is out there and it is waiting to be asked. It almost always is and I may as well address it upfront. I have previously confirmed that while we look forward to a period of slower growth, we do not intend to stagnate. We have been considering our next new building project and we feel that the time may now be right for such a move. It would also probably be the start of new series of ships, which would incorporate our latest learnings about efficiency and about guest amenities. We have been working intensively on developing a design that reflects our innovative spirit, but in an efficient package and we think that we are near to an acceptable outcome. Now normally you all know we don’t comment on new building projects until we have a firm order in hand. But we are far enough along on this project to militate this particular disclosure. I can tell you that we won’t act until all of the necessary components, including a strong return profile are in place."

Didn't someone post with absolute certainty that no new ship plans were even started? And that RCI would have to tell them if there was?

When I was on Jewel of the Seas in November, I had a long chat with a senior officer. This officer indicated that they had participated in the design of the next generation of ships. They would not provide me with any details except the size will be between Freedom and Oasis Classes. I posted this information on another thread a few weeks ago. I wasn't believed. :D Whatever!

Archived