Fain confirms talks on RCI new build

People with Royal Caribbean have been talking for a short while about a new class called the "Sunshine" class, which will be larger than the Radiance class and smaller than the Voyager class.

Sounds like a wonderful size to me.........if it is true!!

:)

Rick

I hope this is true as Radiance is my favorite class of ship but how does Royal get away from the 'Promenade' that distinguish them from other cruiselines?

I just got off the Allure of the Seas last week, and while onboard I picked up a little info on RCCL's new class of ships called Project Sunshine. Since I am a Diamond Plus member with 43 sailings under my belt, I was invited to dine with one of the ships officers. During dinner this officer mentioned that RCCL will be building a new class of ship that will be bigger than the Radiance Class and slightly smaller than the Voyager Class. Apparently, this idea came about shortly after the launch of the Oasis of the Seas. We were told by this officer that internally Royal Caribbean is admitting the Oasis Class was not well thought out, citing the extremely small balcony cabins and the ships inability to visit a greater number of ports due to it's size. That admission was rather shocking, but right on. He went on to say that RCCL will be making some sort of announcement about this new class shortly, in part to try to get their strong base of Diamond Plus and Diamond members who are not thrilled by the Oasis Class ships.

I'll be on the Navigator in about a month, and will let you all know if I hear anything else.

Not many cruises under my belt but all have been on RCCL except for the post inagural on Celebrity Solstice. If the rumors of a larger than Radiance class and smaller than Voyager class are true, then Solstice class fits the bill. Solstice holds a special place in my heart. I was worried that after sailing on Liberty, I would miss the tonnage but I did not. I hope this is the route they take. From what I hear about Celebrity Reflection, it sounds like they listened to my only concerns about Solstice and addressed them...lol...I thought the lawn area was under utilized and while neat, the glass show was something that I did not find any value in. So, my vote is for a Celebrity Reflection type RCCL ship. Sunshine class, huh? So, Sunshine of the Seas, Light of the Seas, and Star of the Seas...let the contest begin!

I just got off the Allure of the Seas last week, and while onboard I picked up a little info on RCCL's new class of ships called Project Sunshine. Since I am a Diamond Plus member with 43 sailings under my belt, I was invited to dine with one of the ships officers. During dinner this officer mentioned that RCCL will be building a new class of ship that will be bigger than the Radiance Class and slightly smaller than the Voyager Class. Apparently, this idea came about shortly after the launch of the Oasis of the Seas. We were told by this officer that internally Royal Caribbean is admitting the Oasis Class was not well thought out, citing the extremely small balcony cabins and the ships inability to visit a greater number of ports due to it's size. That admission was rather shocking, but right on. He went on to say that RCCL will be making some sort of announcement about this new class shortly, in part to try to get their strong base of Diamond Plus and Diamond members who are not thrilled by the Oasis Class ships.

I'll be on the Navigator in about a month, and will let you all know if I hear anything else.

RCI amitted the Oasis class is the biggest they could go

The rumor about a new class of ship bigger than the Radiance Class and smaller than the Voyager Class has been around for quite a while... they've been talking about it for at least 3 years now. They were calling it something different though at one point... wasn't it the "Marco Polo" Class originally?

Personally, I'd love to see them build them... love the Radiance Class.

There is nothing suspicious AT ALL about this post or this poster, is there? :rolleyes:

You've GOT to be kidding me right?

Those short inexpensive cruises are HUGE money makers for RCI.

The Monarch and Majesty account for 500,000 guests a year. They are planned to be around for 3 more years so that will give time for replacement planning and production. I am all for a Sunshine Class of ships if that means designs similar to Radiance and Solstice classes.

A few years back i said we needed inside balconies, and they gave us two new beautiful ships. Forget making the next one smaller. What we now need is a new ship same size as the Oasis and Allure, or a tad smaller. Half the rooms and people but all suite size rooms. A ship for the west coast to and from Hawaii. Making two and three week trips to the islands......................RADICAL

Royal Caribbean couldn't have given me a better bday present! Just saw this and made my day I've been wondering that its about time for them to at least announce a new class or additions to existing classes....I know the Radiance is most of the cruisers' favorite RCI Class and we loved the size, especially for the Med cruise we were in. I'm not an expert but I believe the short Bahamas cruises are very profitable (at least the ones we'd been to were always full and if you live in FL there's always someone going on a weekend cruise!) so I believe a new ship to compete with the Dream would be nice....from either PC or Tampa to Mexico they're both an hour away ;):D

The Solstice is still our favorite ship so we wouldnt complain about a similar one for RCI but I was just wondering....if it will be Sunshine Class what could be possible names?

Sunshine of the Seas

Illuminance of the Seas

Spectrum of the Seas

Any other ideas?

The best way to guess at what the newbuilds will be would be to first do an analysis of what type/size of ship RCI is most in need of to fill any gaps in its markets, or to supplement whatever niche has insufficient capacity to satisfy current or future demands. I'll leave that up to the pro's.

One thing I would like to see is RCI provide singles cabins like the NCL Epic 'Studio' cabins, with its own 'living room' lounge. I hear it is very popular.

Here is what Fain said about a new ship in the conference call today...

"Now I know the question, when will you order another ship is out there and it is waiting to be asked. It almost always is and I may as well address it upfront. I have previously confirmed that while we look forward to a period of slower growth, we do not intend to stagnate. We have been considering our next new building project and we feel that the time may now be right for such a move. It would also probably be the start of new series of ships, which would incorporate our latest learnings about efficiency and about guest amenities. We have been working intensively on developing a design that reflects our innovative spirit, but in an efficient package and we think that we are near to an acceptable outcome. Now normally you all know we don’t comment on new building projects until we have a firm order in hand. But we are far enough along on this project to militate this particular disclosure. I can tell you that we won’t act until all of the necessary components, including a strong return profile are in place."

Didn't someone post with absolute certainty that no new ship plans were even started? And that RCI would have to tell them if there was?[/quote]

Yes our friend The Lion stated this.

She's not leaving the NCL fleet, just leaving PC, I think she is being transferred to Miami, there was a press release about it a week or so ago

Sky is already in Miami doing three and four night cruises. The Sun is the ship leaving PC. This person was referring to the Sky.

A few years back i said we needed inside balconies, and they gave us two new beautiful ships. Forget making the next one smaller. What we now need is a new ship same size as the Oasis and Allure, or a tad smaller. Half the rooms and people but all suite size rooms. A ship for the west coast to and from Hawaii. Making two and three week trips to the islands......................RADICAL

And probably very impractical and certainly not cost-effective The demand for such a ship with such a restricted itinerary just isn't there no matter how much you wish it to be and the fares for such cruises would likely be astronomical. :rolleyes:

When I was on Jewel of the Seas in November, I had a long chat with a senior officer. This officer indicated that they had participated in the design of the next generation of ships. They would not provide me with any details except the size will be between Freedom and Oasis Classes. I posted this information on another thread a few weeks ago. I wasn't believed. :D Whatever!

Your informant differs with what the others have said in relation to size. I don't put a lot of stock in rumours from various crew members, as their grapevines are subject to the same exaggerations that the rest of us see at our workplaces. When they announce something official, then you can brag. Until then, I wouldn't risk throwing out my shoulder trying to pat myself on the back just yet LOL.

As long as RCI makes money from the M & M boys, why relegate them to Espana??

I thought when it was talked about on the Majesty in December, that it was something to do with the regulations next year. I wasn't paying much attention when the talk first started though. They were deciding what to do with it in 2012. Which was do whatever needs to be done with it to make it up to date, or other options, the likeliest would be to send it to Pullmantur. In that case it would likely be replaced by one of the Vision class ships doing the 3/4 night runs. Same for the Monarch.

....... What we now need is a new ship same size as the Oasis and Allure, or a tad smaller. Half the rooms and people but all suite size rooms. A ship for the west coast to and from Hawaii. Making two and three week trips to the islands......................RADICAL

Hey, we can dream, can't we?:)

I love the Radiance class ships, and the DH loves the Voyager class. Something between to reach smaller ports and go through the Panama Canal would be great (they are widening the canal a bit). We love the glass to see the ocean and the activities of a slightly bigger ship without the masses of people. I think RCCL is right on target with this idea.

Your informant differs with what the others have said in relation to size. I don't put a lot of stock in rumours from various crew members, as their grapevines are subject to the same exaggerations that the rest of us see at our workplaces. When they announce something official, then you can brag. Until then, I wouldn't risk throwing out my shoulder trying to pat myself on the back just yet LOL.

My "informant" indicated they had been part of the design team. So I personally believe them. :D I will say it wasn't a regular crew member but a Senior Officer with lots of stripes. Mum! :D Oh no I've said too much! :eek:

We will see when they make their announcement! Mum Mum Mum! :D

How many people were taking these short, inexpensive cruise to bolster their status in the Crown and Anchor Society? It will be interesting to see if bookings fall off a little now that C&A has announced their new point system.

I thought the same thing when all of this happened. I love crusing and love cococay, and didn't think twice of jumping on the Majesty a week or even less out, especially when the price was rock bottom, but the knowledge that it brought me oh so closer to diamond was a real deal breaker. Now I think I'll save up my money and time and opt for longer cruises on different ships to ports I don't go as often. I tired quickly of the Navigator's 4 night, even though she's a bigger/nicer ship; but I like cococay so much better than Labadee. I'm off on the Oasis next, but again, its the same ole, same ole, Labadee and Cozumel. At least I haven't been to Costa Maya yet and hey, who cares about ports once on the Oasis. :D

Bottom lines, lets see what the Majesty prices are during Hurricane season. I bet it starts running for $99.00 like it did in early/mid december.

There will be only one factor that will be considered - how to squeeze as much money out of their consumers in the nicest way possible :D

To achieve this they will pull off the neat trick they achieved with Central Park - all the paid for restaurants in one attractive environment.

This has been so successful in a design fashion, few have even noticed there are only two places to eat dinner without paying on the whole Oasis class ship :eek:

Celebrity's Solstice class ships paid for restaurants are also in one area of a nicely arranged part of the ship. This design will be considered on a smaller ship.

There is also some excellent space management in the smaller cabins on the Oasis class ships, so this will also be adopted.

So, adding all that together whatever it is it will likely feature more paid for stuff and smaller rooms. Oh, and a heavy reliance on loyalists to say how wonderful it all is ;)

Archived