Live From the Sapphire Princess - Jan. 29th Sailing

Bugslyboo.com

This is the island that I always imagined. Lush, green, waterfalls, mountains, beautiful beaches and big waves.

The Hollywood in Hawaii tour is not to be missed IMHO. Something about seeing the movie clip up on the screen and looking out the window and seeing the real thing that is truly mind blowing. In the movies Kauai has been Vietnam, Venezuela, Costa Rica, Australia, Colombia....

We had a total of 8 stops traipsing our way up the windward coast, ending in Hanalei Bay (South Pacific) and where you can find Puff the Magic Dragon sleeping ("...in a land called hanalei"). Big waves were rolling in and it was a bit on the dreary side with clouds hanging low.

We visited locations from South Pacific, Blue Hawaii (the dilapidated Coco Palms hotel), Jurassic Park, Gilligan's Island, The Amazing Race, Fantasy Island.

Our guide, Agatha, is a true Hollywood expert and could double as a stand up comedian. This was the fastest 6 hour tour I've ever been on, with one spectacular stop after another. Two thumbs up!

Our tour guide let us in on some of the more interesting answers she has given over the years to questions from her guests:

• "No, the islands don't move closer together in the winter"
  • "No, it's not possible to swim under the island from one side to the other"
  • "Yes, the water goes all the way around the island"
  • "It's the Pacific all around the island, not the Atlantic on the east and the Pacific on the west"

and my favorite:

• "Yes, Kauai has a moon"

We'll be making landfall in Maui in just over an hour. For us it'll be whale watching today and after that, hanging out in Lahaina.

Not the one that you mentioned.

When we were on the Sapphire in Dec/January - everyone great who we had spoken to had indicated that they were leaving right before Hawaii or right after Hawaii (or maybe during??). Apparently the ship had a lot of people who started in May time frame who were leaving in February.

No Lost locations. I'm not sure, but I think that is shot over on Oahu...

Thanks. I didn't know that:o. Can you tell I'm not as big a LOST fan as my son?!

That being said, after reading your review, I'm still very tempted to take that tour--sounds like fun!

Thanks for your postings--I'm really enjoying them!

Thanks for your Live From....I am really enjoying it!!

I have a question, if you have time. On the E deck deck plan (as well as several others), just aft of the last minisuite on both sides there appears to be a doorway leading to a small outside deck. Could you possibly see if that is true? I think you said you were in one of those minisuites. We're considering saving some money and getting an inside, and if there is an outdoor space that close it would be wonderful.

Thanks for your time....

Thanks for your Live From....I am really enjoying it!!

I have a question, if you have time. On the E deck deck plan (as well as several others), just aft of the last minisuite on both sides there appears to be a doorway leading to a small outside deck. Could you possibly see if that is true? I think you said you were in one of those minisuites. We're considering saving some money and getting an inside, and if there is an outdoor space that close it would be wonderful.

Thanks for your time....

I had E731 a few weeks ago. There is no doorway leading to a small outside deck. The doorway leads to a stairwell used by staff.

did you make it to all the ports ok?? when i was on the golden princess in jaunary we had to skip too because of bad whether

Yup, we made it to all ports. Tendering back to the ship yesterday afternoon in Maui was pretty -slamming- rough. Those lifeboats don't really cut through the waves....they pound through 'em! Made for an interesting ride. I'm guessing had it been that rough when we arrived, they just may have blown off the port.

We arrived with the sunrise - it was a cloudy and overcast sunrise - in Maui and were greeted by numerous whale spouts and breeches - further from the ship than what we had at the big island. After waiting for less than five minutes in the Vivaldi dining room before we were called, we took the tender into town at about 9:00. Ride in was smooth and Lahaina was pretty much what I was expecting for Maui. Touristy little shops, with an ABC store every 100 yards. At 11:30 we went boarded the Pacific Whale Foundation ship, along with 141 others, for our two hour whale watching extravaganza. It started a little slow with a couple of mother/calf sightings and then, as we moved further north along the shore, all hell broke loose and we were surrounded by whales, whales and more whales. Males breeching - we had one that was breeching non-stop, caught him on video breeching about four times, along with very close sightings of calves. It was non-stop action all around the ship. Gonna be a tough one to top!

Back into town we met Mika under the biggest banyon tree I've ever seen. Born in Japan and raised on Maui, Mika is self taught artist and she makes beautiful baskets out of most every kind of bark and branch you can imagine. If they are having the artist market under the banyon tree, make sure and check out Mika's wares.

We had lunch at Kimo's, right on the waterfront with a front row seat to the ocean and a view of Sapphire Princess anchored in the bay. Lunch was the Mahi Mahi, which I would HIGHLY recommend. A bit pricey, but considering the location and food quality, well worth it.

We're back at sea and will be for the next four days. I probably won't be checking in for the next few days - unless something exciting happens. So the next time you'll hear from me will probably be from Ensenada.

Why?: While taking food from the buffet back to your stateroom is nothing new on cruise ships (we do it too), the disturbing trend of piling plates up with leftovers outside the staterooms in the hallway is - and it seems to be contagious. Where we had just one person doing it at the beginning of the cruise, we now have at least five in our hallway doing it. My question: Why are people doing this? I can only guess that they don't want that uneaten hot dog, or that smelly salsa, in their room. But is it really better out in the hall? What do you think?

Why?: While taking food from the buffet back to your stateroom is nothing new on cruise ships (we do it too), the disturbing trend of piling plates up with leftovers outside the staterooms in the hallway is - and it seems to be contagious. Where we had just one person doing it at the beginning of the cruise, we now have at least five in our hallway doing it. My question: Why are people doing this? I can only guess that they don't want that uneaten hot dog, or that smelly salsa, in their room. But is it really better out in the hall? What do you think?

Good observation! I just WISH there was a note in the room service menu or Patter about this. All that is needed is a quick call to room service requesting a "pick-up", or, just run your dirty dishes back up to the buffet! :(

I'm enjoying your "live from" very much. DH and I will be on the 28 day this October LA to LA (Hawaii and Tahiti).

As far as people leaving their dirty trays outside of their cabins, I'm really disgusted by it. :mad: I take my foot and push the tray in front of their door, so that they can't miss it when they come or go. I'm thinking of printing up little notes (telling them to keep the trays inside their cabin for their steward to pick up) and putting the note in their mailbox.:cool:

I totally agree with you!!!

Good observation! I just WISH there was a note in the room service menu or Patter about this. All that is needed is a quick call to room service requesting a "pick-up", or, just run your dirty dishes back up to the buffet! :(

That is a great idea, putting it in the Patter or a sign in the stateroom!

Shame on you Meredith, not for doing it, but for saying what I do before I got a chance to post.

Where the heck have you and Mr Bob been? We are doing the QV RT Hawaii out of LA on 2/17 and the Grand TA on 5/05.

If you have my e-mail, PLEASE e-mail me, I have a comment/question to ask you.

Ed

We are thinking of this cruise on either this ship or Golden. We were actually told by the future cruise person on Crown that he likes Golden better and it is being refurbished and should be wonderful. What is the major difference in the 2 ships?

Also, even though we would love to see whales, I also want to be there in nicer weather for beach and wearing shorts and coming home with some tan.

Seems like the weather in Jan/Feb is not that good, but you do get the whales.

When is a good time, while still getting away in not as nice weather at home, in Williamsburg, VA. DO not like to cruise in May-Sept since it is nice here. Plus cruise pricing is way higher then.

Pls give me some insights so we can pick a date that suits us.

Thanks.

Yup, we made it to all ports. Tendering back to the ship yesterday afternoon in Maui was pretty -slamming- rough. Those lifeboats don't really cut through the waves....they pound through 'em! Made for an interesting ride. I'm guessing had it been that rough when we arrived, they just may have blown off the port.

thats good i was upset when we had to skip the ports on are cruise but it was still a relly good cruise now you have 4 sea days

Aloha Sapphire Princess Cruisers...I have a question for you. If you had a "Meet and Greet" did any of the crew members attend and which ones? I am writing invitations to the

Captain, Maitre'd, Cruise Director, Hotel Manager, and Captains Circle Host..is there or are there others who attended yours and if possible could you please give me their names and their title on board the Sapphire Princess? I do not want to offend anyone on the staff so any help would be appreciated. We will be boarding the ship shortly after you get off...and, I do hope that you have brought back Hawaiian Pineapples and Papayas!!!

Enjoy your cruise back to Los Angeles...we are having wonderful sun shiny weather and you should have a smooth ride back...

We are thinking of this cruise on either this ship or Golden. We were actually told by the future cruise person on Crown that he likes Golden better and it is being refurbished and should be wonderful. What is the major difference in the 2 ships?

I love the Golden and it has been refurbished with the latest goodies like the International Cafe, Vines, Sanctuary and of course M.U.T.S.

The Sapphire is configured differently inside in some ways but to the casual observer looks the same in most other areas

Bugslyboo, have you heard any scuttlebutt from the crew as to the Mazatlan stop for next week? Just curious, haven't been able to get a straight answer from Princess.

Thank you

Judie

I asked Andrew, one of the CD's staff, and at this point they don't know (or are not saying) one way or the other.

I asked Andrew, one of the CD's staff, and at this point they don't know (or are not saying) one way or the other.

Thank you so much, I appreciate your checking. I guess we will find out next week. If we stop, I won't be getting off of the ship! My personal choice

Judie

.....Lee Childers is rumoured to be on the Emerald Princess in the Baltic this summer, starting May 12th.

.....The "code Alpha" incident on our first sea day was a heart attack. They had to resuscitate for 20 minutes to bring him/her back and then got him/her on a defibrillator. He/she was then held stabilized until we reached Hilo where he/she was taken off amd choppered over to Honolulu where a defib. was implanted. Patient is now back on the mainland and doing well.

....Two new ships coming in 2013 and 2014 (this may not be news for you all) no names yet, but both are supposed to be larger than Sapphire.

....Just over 1000 golds on the ship, 500+ platinums and 200+ elites! Top member at the reception last night had just over 1,400 sea days.

....The Ultimate Ship Tour was excellent. There were 11 of us and we were treated like VIPs. The three hours just flew by.

Bb

Bugslyboo, my DH and I took the Ultimate Ships Tour on our January 15 cruise. Who was your tour guide? Andrew was ours and he did a great job. My favorite spot were the galleys/food prep areas. DH loved the bridge. What part did you like best?

Thank you for your live review, it has been a lot of fun reading along with you

Archived