Where did the chocolate go?

Just got off the Qasis (1/22 to !/29/2011) and had chocolate on pillows every night

That's is only being practiced on Oasis and Allure.

We received Chocolate every night on the Enchantment, Oasis, Allure, Majesty and Rhapsody.

You must have been booked in a GS or above as those are the only cabins where you will receive 2 Ghirardelli chocolates every night.

We were not in a GS. In fact, we have only been in balcony and outside cabins at the lowest level. I have never even been in any suite. The candy is not a big deal for us. We don't eat them, but it is a nice touch. I have had them on every cruise with RCCL.

Seems like most in here never ate the chocolates nor do they miss them. Let me state categorically, without hesitation, I MISS THOSE CHOCOLATES!! I used to nosh on them while reading the next day's compass. A tradition is now history and no I am NOT going to change cruiselines *dirtkick*. After only 4 RCI cruises it's become "home", just a bit less sweet at night :(

BTW what is RCI doing with that $1M they're saving? They sure aren't putting it in toilet paper :rolleyes:

We were not in a GS. In fact, we have only been in balcony and outside cabins at the lowest level. I have never even been in any suite. The candy is not a big deal for us. We don't eat them, but it is a nice touch. I have had them on every cruise with RCCL.

In what years did you last sail on the Enchantment and Majesty and Rhapsody?

Seems like most in here never ate the chocolates nor do they miss them. Let me state categorically, without hesitation, I MISS THOSE CHOCOLATES!! I used to nosh on them while reading the next day's compass. A tradition is now history and no I am NOT going to change cruiselines *dirtkick*. After only 4 RCI cruises it's become "home", just a bit less sweet at night :(

BTW what is RCI doing with that $1M they're saving? They sure aren't putting it in toilet paper :rolleyes:

Bonnie, I am telling you this to make you feel BETTER, even though it's "bad news".

In the final year or so of standard pillow chocolates, they had changed to a VERY cheap, low-quality brand and they tasted like WAX.

No lie.

Bonnie, I am telling you this to make you feel BETTER, even though it's "bad news".

In the final year or so of standard pillow chocolates, they had changed to a VERY cheap, low-quality brand and they tasted like WAX.

No lie.

i absolutely agree! i am a chocolate fanatic and will eat anything chocolate over a normal meal anyday but i never could eat the chocolates that they would put on my pillow. yuck!

Already done! :p

Same here too. I am returning to P&O on my next cruise and see how they are treating their customers and what the service and value for money is like now. Last cruise with them was Feb 2010

How long will it be before the cruise lines charge you for getting into a lifeboat? Will it be classed has an excursion.:D

RCI claims that by eliminating chocolates in all rooms except the suites, they saved over $1 million a year and that much of the chocolate had to be discarded because the guests did not consume it. Whether you choose to believe them or not, the those chocolates is pretty much an inconsequential factor in deciding whether or not my cruise was enjoyable. As far as the quality of the food is concerned, that is, as it has always been, a subjective opinion that is not shared by all. I certainly have not found it to be the case on the several last RCI cruises I have been on, but sometimes our memories become somewhat distorted by the passage of time.

Maybe we could have opt in chocolate- I'll sign up- no wastage promise!

No lie.

Carol, you always know the right thing to say :p Our last cruise, before our Voyager no chocolate cruise, was 4 years ago on the Rhapsody. I guess I got the best of the last. Maybe next cruise I'll bring my own stash of Lindt chocolates. Like I won't have enough to eat :rolleyes:

Where did the price increases go?

We are can pay less now for a cruise than we did 10 years ago,

so of course some things will change, and yes some people will miss the old things. Like some people miss Black and White TV.

Where as others prefer to list all the new additions that we never used to have but do now. Times move on so should we, that might mean changing cruise lines for some, whilst our old favourites will attract new and different clients.

Not me.....

None of the changes I experienced bothered me to much...its when you add them up;

Where did the ocean go and where did the mall come from?

Where did the eggs Benedict go in the wind jammer?

Where did the midnight buffet go?

Where did a customer service oriented staff at guest relations desk go?

Where did all the announcements come from?

Where did the shirt sale on the pool deck come from?

Where did the tables and chairs out on the pool deck go?

Where did the abundant towels on deck go and replaced with a long line to sign out a towel?

Where did the baked Alaska go?

Where did the sommeliers go?

Where did the dining room Flambés go?

Where did Ice T that I could taste go?

Where did the dining room afternoon Tea go?

I could go on...

:cool:

No lie.

SO TRUE.

But......The new chocolates we had on the Allure were very tasty milk chocolates. None were trashed.

M

[quote name='RCCLgal']We received Chocolate every night on the Enchantment, Oasis, Allure, Majesty and Rhapsody.[/quote]
[quote name='cruisenfever']
You must have been booked in a GS or above as those are the only cabins where you will receive 2 Ghirardelli chocolates every night.[/quote]
[quote name='RCCLgal']We were not in a GS. In fact, we have only been in balcony and outside cabins at the lowest level. I have never even been in any suite. The candy is not a big deal for us. We don't eat them, but it is a nice touch. I have had them on every cruise with RCCL.[/quote]
We were just on Enchantment in January and only the suite guest received chocolates. You must have cruised on Enchantment, Majesty & Rhapsody when they were still giving chocolates out but they stopped that back in early 2009 on all ships except Oasis.

All guests on Oasis & Allure receive chocolates at turn down.

[quote name='ChipLondon']Where did the price increases go? [/quote]
VERY, Very, very TRUE. Prices have not gone up. But, my preference would be increase the prices and provide the same service. I frequent a local steak house in my neighborhood. Been going since I was a kid. Frequently makes best of Philly. Prices have steadily raised over the years and the service and food have NOT declined. I believe most business raise prices in order to provide the same product. If the steak house kept the same price for the last 10 years but quality and experience declined, you can bet your bottom Euro, that I would acknowledge the fact that the experience declined and move on to another steak house. The fact that prices have stayed the same does not mean I have to except the decline in product and not voice my dissapointment in the change.

[quote name='ChipLondon'], and yes some people will miss the old things. Like some people miss Black and White TV. [/quote]

To correlate a decline in food quality to the being of color TV, is not a good comparison IMHO. I also have a hard time relating color TV to adding malls to a ship. Malls, flow-riders, ice rinks and rockwalls are nothing new. Just something that is new to the ocean. With in a 20 minute drive from my home I can do any of the things listed above and could of done so long before they were on the high seas. What I cant get here is the ocean views. The intimate ocean view lounges or a table out on deck with gourgous views to eat an enjoyable lunch. I do agree that for a LOT of the RCI cruisers welcome the mall with the car replica, flow rider, Rockwall, ice-skating rink and lack of ocean views. If I were still a stock holder in RCI I would be happy with the changes as that seems to be what the clientele, that RCI is after, wants.

I have no problem with a brand changing to satisfied the growing need of a different type of consumers. But I will express my disappointment that the product I remember is no longer what it use to be.

[quote name='Crewzer33']We had chocolate on our pillows every night on Oasis over Christmas. We had two balcony rooms (not suites) and both had them. (I don't care for them -- taste like wax.)[/quote]
Leaving chocolates on your pillow at turn down is exclusive to Oasis and Allure and is done in everyone's cabin no matter the category.

I don't miss the chocolates, whether the actual product or the concept of it. A cost-effective cruise is all I care about and Royal Caribbean does that for me. Not disappointed yet. :)

(and I got a lot of overseas cruises on my list to check off!)

Having sailed with Royal Car. since the Song of America, I too see these changes but, we now have bigger ships which go to wonderful ports around the globe and prices that are affordable to many more people! The prices and the activities make it possible for 3 and even 4 generations of families to vacation together, without feeling as if they are going to kill each other! The food is not as good, however, I have yet to see anyone leave the ship having lost considerable weight. So as a Diamond Plus cruiser I am very happy to be sailing out of Dubai on Feb 28 to new adventures on an old friend!:)

• 1 month later...

Archived