Where did the chocolate go?

Just returned from the Dubai to Dubai cruise on the Brilliance of the seas.

Its been about three years since I last sailed with RC.

But noticed how much the prices for items onboard as gone up . Drink and excursions to give an example. Nearly $10 for a glass of beer:mad:

The quality of food has gone down. I was on a table of 8 and we all thougth the food in the restaurant was terrible. They don't even put the chocolates on your pillow anymore.:) The windjammer closed at 9.30pm and all you are left with is a snack bar.

I feel as long as the ships are full, it's the old story of "supply and demand". They will keep putting those prices up and up and the service down where possible.

It went to the same place the better food went. Same place where the good customer service at guest relations went. I know choclate is such a small item, as are most of my issues, but you take a little here, there and everywhere and you do not have the same product.

:(

But noticed how much the prices for items onboard as gone up . Drink and excursions to give an example. Nearly $10 for a glass of beer:mad:

The quality of food has gone down. I was on a table of 8 and we all thougth the food in the restaurant was terrible. They don't even put the chocolates on your pillow anymore.:) The windjammer closed at 9.30pm and all you are left with is a snack bar.

I feel as long as the ships are full, it's the old story of "supply and demand". They will keep putting those prices up and up and the service down where possible.

Amazing what can happen in three years, isn't it?:(;)

But you aren't supposed to notice stuff like that. You will be accused of being a "snob" and be told to get over it.:p At least that is what those of us who have been cruising for years get told every time we lament about how cruising is changing for the worse.

RCI claims that by eliminating chocolates in all rooms except the suites, they saved over $1 million a year and that much of the chocolate had to be discarded because the guests did not consume it. Whether you choose to believe them or not, the those chocolates is pretty much an inconsequential factor in deciding whether or not my cruise was enjoyable. As far as the quality of the food is concerned, that is, as it has always been, a subjective opinion that is not shared by all. I certainly have not found it to be the case on the several last RCI cruises I have been on, but sometimes our memories become somewhat distorted by the passage of time.

so that was all the "bad"........you arent gonna stick around and tell us any of the good? :confused::D

I guess Im glad Im just getting into cruising and dont remember the "good ol days" of turn down chocolates, free filet mignon in the MDR, much better quality food (I think the food is fine) or anything else that people seem to get bent about.

Must of been really really wonderful to cruise 10 or even 5 years ago before Royal Caribbean went to the dumps :p if it was that much better than what I have received so far.

One thing I dont understand though, there are clearly people here that are unhappy with the product they receive from Royal Caribbean but yet they keep on cruising with them? :confused:

If I was that disappointed and upset with the quality I think I would find another line.

. I certainly have not found it to be the case on the several last RCI cruises I have been on, but sometimes our memories become somewhat distorted by the passage of time.
True, But in my case I am Not sure how my memory of the food on Royal could be distorted so much that I forgot that I didn't like the food to begin with! It has gone down since my last cruise BIG time, unless my taste buds have changed.

Some times when people who use a certain product on a regular basis, they start to see the product threw rose colored glasses. If they see the product as being inferior, then they feel as though they have made the wrong choice many many times, and so they fool theemseleves. Also, when you use a product on a regular basis, you really don't notice the small changes taking place. Over time those small changes start to add up. Kind of like watching your kids grow up, everyday they look the same, then one day they are graduating from school.

Just a thought.

Does anyone really miss the chocolate?

If you were to base your opinion on the posts which appear here, you would certainly think so. :rolleyes: I think it is more a symbol for the changes which have occurred in recent years, and it is much easier to cite that while ignoring the bargain fares that have been available and some of the improvements that have been made to the physical plants of the ships and some of the improved amenities recently announced.

Couldnt care less about chocolates but to some they are important. Every cruise will be different in some respect. I would never stop cruising because chocolates were taken away however if my balcony discount was removed I would be looking at other lines alot more.

Not me.....

None of the changes I experienced bothered me to much...its when you add them up;

Where did the ocean go and where did the mall come from?

Where did the eggs Benedict go in the wind jammer?

Where did the midnight buffet go?

Where did a customer service oriented staff at guest relations desk go?

Where did all the announcements come from?

Where did the shirt sale on the pool deck come from?

Where did the tables and chairs out on the pool deck go?

Where did the abundant towels on deck go and replaced with a long line to sign out a towel?

Where did the baked Alaska go?

Where did the sommeliers go?

Where did the dining room Flambés go?

Where did Ice T that I could taste go?

Where did the dining room afternoon Tea go?

I could go on...

:cool:

Did you try room service?

Actually you DID have chocolates on your pampered pillow every night...but by the time you got back to your cabin....your towel animals ate it...."hey...they were hungry!"

:D :D ;)

That's funny :)! I still have a little baggie of the chocolates - it was just a nice touch to find them on our pillows at night.

True, But in my case I am Not sure how my memory of the food on Royal could be distorted so much that I forgot that I didn't like the food to begin with! It has gone down since my last cruise BIG time, unless my taste buds have changed.

Some times when people who use a certain product on a regular basis, they start to see the product threw rose colored glasses. If they see the product as being inferior, then they feel as though they have made the wrong choice many many times, and so they fool theemseleves. Also, when you use a product on a regular basis, you really don't notice the small changes taking place. Over time those small changes start to add up. Kind of like watching your kids grow up, everyday they look the same, then one day they are graduating from school.

Just a thought.

I think you are absolutely correct.

Most of the changes have been subtle but when you list them all they are becoming substantial.

And even food, which has been pointed out is subjective, has gone downhill. But thankfully lines have recognized that there are pax who are more than willing to pay more to get decent food and have built specialty restaurants into their ship designs.:)

No animals were harmed in the transmission of this post, although the Yorkshire terrier next door is living on borrowed time. :D

Sorry to go off topic, but I am seriously laughing at your signature! HAHAHAHA! I LOVE dogs -- especially little yorkies -- but THAT is funny! :D

DH says that he has never seen any chocolates on any of our cruises, unless it came from my purse... :rolleyes:

...of course, I'm just a bit quicker getting into the room than he is... :D

The least you could have done was let the poor guy lick the wrappers.;):)

Archived