Alaska w/kids: Princess or Disney?

astro2001

We are considering parents' 50th anniversary celebration with an Alaska cruise, but undecided between the two. My wife and I have been on Tahitian Princess back in 2003 for our honeymoon (it was wonderful), and we have since been on three Disney cruises with the kids (we all had a great time).

Kids will be 7, 5, and 3 when we go to Alaska. We believe that we will definitely get the best Alaska cruise experience on Princess, and the parents would love the cruisetour to Denali. However, we are wondering if we should just do a Disney Alaska cruise since we will still have young children.

We will also have a large group of 10-15 people (the youngest being my kids), so would also be interested if this size would point us to Princesss vs. Disney.

Thanks!

If you are considering the cruisetour, Princess does a very good job and the lodges are nice-it is such a great way to see Alaska. I would assume that Princess would suit your parents needs far better than Disney, and since the trip is in thier honor I would probably tend to go that way. Family cruises are such fun being all together-good luck and enjoy the planning!

The one pro for Disney would be if you are going in May or the first cruise in June. Aparently Disney is having trouble filling their ships because they are offering kids sail free in a cabin with two full fare passengers...EM

For a cruisetour I would have to go with Princess. They do it so well. If you are going to do independent land travel, then its not so much of a difference in that respect.

Disney is on average more expensive than Princess, which might make a difference with a larger number of people (although as noted they are offering deals on some sailings. Disney is way more sensitive to school sessions than is Princess, if you take your kids out of school you can generally save some money).

Both have a good rep for shore excursions, I'd say the Disney ship may appeal more to the kids, but they both have programs for youngsters (I'll give Disney the edge here, but in AK when there is so much to see and few sea days its not really a big issue).

One note about Disney is their ships are traditional dining only unless they have changed. If you want more flexibility in dining times, its Princess.

Alaska is beautiful, but I don't think the kiddies will notice that so much. I love Princess beyond all other lines, but if I was traveling with kids, I think I'd have to give the nod to Disney. I've always thought nobody does Alaska better than Princess, but Disney doesn't do anything less than spectacular! I think in this case, I'd seriously look at Disney. After all, if the kiddies aren't happy, is anybody really happy?!?!?!?

Alaska is beautiful, but I don't think the kiddies will notice that so much. I love Princess beyond all other lines, but if I was traveling with kids, I think I'd have to give the nod to Disney. I've always thought nobody does Alaska better than Princess, but Disney doesn't do anything less than spectacular! I think in this case, I'd seriously look at Disney. After all, if the kiddies aren't happy, is anybody really happy?!?!?!?

We're about to go on our first Princess cruise, so I can't really speak to those. Having been on several Disney cruises with kids and grandparents, I'd have to lean toward Disney. As said above, if the kids ain't happy, ain't nobody happy! :D

As someone who's lived in Alaska, I cringe every time I see these itineraries. Please, if you can afford it at all take an inland excursion of at least a few days. Otherwise, you don't really see Alaksa. The coast where the cruise ships sail is such a very, very minute part of the state. Beautiful and worthwhile seeing, but you can't say you've been to Alaska if that's all you see. My two cents for what it's worth.

That being said, you will enjoy yourself. The scenery is truly breathtaking.

We're about to go on our first Princess cruise, so I can't really speak to those. Having been on several Disney cruises with kids and grandparents, I'd have to lean toward Disney. As said above, if the kids ain't happy, ain't nobody happy! :D

As someone who's lived in Alaska, I cringe every time I see these itineraries. Please, if you can afford it at all take an inland excursion of at least a few days. Otherwise, you don't really see Alaksa. The coast where the cruise ships sail is such a very, very minute part of the state. Beautiful and worthwhile seeing, but you can't say you've been to Alaska if that's all you see. My two cents for what it's worth.

That being said, you will enjoy yourself. The scenery is truly breathtaking.

I totally agree! I did the Alaskan cruise, but don't feel like I saw the "best" Alaska had to offer. Same thing with Hawaii; did the cruise, but don't feel like I've ever been to Hawaii! Don't get me wrong, I totally loved both cruises, but they were cruises, not land vacations!

Disney has one of the least desirable itineraries in Alaska.

Pick an itinerary with Glacier Bay. Also, Princess has a covered pool which would be beneficial in Alaska.

I haven't looked at Disney in years because I don't travel with kids anymore. After seeing this post I looked and Disney looks pretty standard. Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, with Tracy Arm instead of Glacier Bay. I've only been to Glacier Bay, but from what I've read on these boards, Tracy Arm is breathtaking, too. I just really believe that if you're traveling with kids, there's no way to beat Disney.

Another hand in the air for Princess. Princess has plenty of stuff for kids, but won't cause them to scream about going ashore because they'll miss Goofy.

It sounds like a great opportunity for the children to learn some of the fine art of give and take that is the only way to survive group travel.

I haven't looked at Disney in years because I don't travel with kids anymore. After seeing this post I looked and Disney looks pretty standard. Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, with Tracy Arm instead of Glacier Bay. I've only been to Glacier Bay, but from what I've read on these boards, Tracy Arm is breathtaking, too. I just really believe that if you're traveling with kids, there's no way to beat Disney.

Tracy Arm is great as a second glacier (Sawyer Glaciers) or via small boat but very few sailings get close to the glaciers at the end of Tracy Arm. I have tried 2x and both times (once on large boat and once on a small boat) have missed it!

The chances of getting into Glacier Bay are very good! Ships rarely miss Glacier Bay but they constantly miss Tracy Arm or they have to turnaround not that far in due to ice. If this is the only glacier on the itinerary - and you miss it, it is huge! Nothing like going to Alaska and not seeing a glacier. There are seasons where 1/3 of the ships don't ever see the glacier at the end.

As far as glaicers go, Sawyer Glacier just doesn't compare to the glaciers at Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier.

Plus - you are paying at least double for an itinerary that doesn't go to a major glacier.

Princess 7 day rtn's our out of Seattle, Disney will be operating out of Vancouver so they are quite a different product. One of the things some of us are wondering about with Disney is that the ship does not have a covered pool and how is that going to play out with children.:confused:

We went with Princess on our Alaska trip. Our DD's were 9 and 12 at that time (two years ago). There were not many kids in the kids club, but then we wanted them with us to show them how inspiring Alaska is. Playing is great, but missing the things that we saw and pointed out to our girls would have been a big mistake by leaving them in the kids club. Once we made it to Whittier we stayed another week and did a land tour. They still talk about Alaska and we are plannning a return trip in the next year or two - it is worth it!

Happy Sailing,

Robyn

I think you said that you have been on Disney with the kids and I am sure there is much to do on Disney for kids

But this trip is about family and the beauty of nature seeing the eagles fly, the bears catching salmon, whales breaching , glaciers and many more wonderful moments.

I would involve the kids in the planning: One Idea let the kids each take a port and look up all the facts so they can tell the family at dinner the night before the port all about what they will see. let the kids make a list of what they hope to see and then do a scanvenger photo hunt each on having there own inexpensive camera to take shots so you can include them in the vacation album. You can do disney anytime Alaska is special.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I'm new here and would like to weigh in on My Disney cruise experience in general. My husband and I took a Holland America Cruise back in the 1980s, and after that experience I determined that cruising was not my preferred vacation mode. It wasn't until my recent Disney Bahamas cruise on the Dream (November 4-8) that I changed my mind. The food was great, and the entertainment was family-friendly and top- notch.

My husband and I don't enjoy what is billed as "adult" entertainment these days... okay, we're prudes by today's standards. We thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment on the Disney Dream. There were opportunities for "adult" entertainment in the lounges at night, but we didn't bother to go it. The family shows were excellent, and enjoyed by all.

As a 67-yr-old, I would not hesitate to go on another Disney cruise... In fact we booked another as soon as we got home from the first one! We can't wait to go to Alaska next August. I'd love to hear from other seniors who might be planning to go on this cruise (August 12-19 2013) .. Or anyone, for that matter. This time I plan to participate in the Fish Extender fun.

Karen

I haven't been on a Disney cruise, but I did go on a Princess ship for our Alaskan cruise in 2004, RT out of Seattle, that goes to the same ports basically (well, Seattle instead of Vancouver, and the addition of Victoria, BC) as the Disney one. Just for kicks, did a comparison of early August and Princess was much less. Granted, I'm not into Disney, but do feel the kids' programs on Princess are fine. I don't remember my 7-yr-old complaining at all, and she kept pretty busy doing science type of activities as well as the usual kids' activities. Plus, (again, I don't know about Disney), Princess has a naturalist onboard during the glacier cruising to narrate what you're seeing.

My husband and I don't enjoy what is billed as "adult" entertainment these days... okay, we're prudes by today's standards. We thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment on the Disney Dream. There were opportunities for "adult" entertainment in the lounges at night, but we didn't bother to go it. The family shows were excellent, and enjoyed by all.

I'm nearly as old as you are, and I really, really wish that (some of) the entertainment aboard Princess were remotely as risqué as you imply.

Or at least racier on occasion than PG.

Archived