Price Reduction - Advice appreciated

samnewbie

Hi all,

I have avoided the site for the last few months to try and curb my EPIC obsession but now it's finally 2011 I thought i would get back into my 'cruise' mode.

I have however today realised that the cruise i booked the day it went on sale here in the UK - so 1st April 2010 is now over £500 less if i were to book now (which i feel is a massive reduction!)

I know that in the US you are usually able to receive the price reduction but does anyone have any experience of this for UK bookings?

I booked via a travel agent and i do not know if i should ask them to look into it now or approach NCL direct myself and also if you are only allowed 1 price reduction or not and if so would i best to wait incase it is further reduced ?

My final payment to the agent is due mid May - They have to pay NCL by 22 July according to the invoices i have (they gave me the agent invoices in error) .

Any advice would be very much appreicated :)

Thanks

Sam :)

most definately call your agent and ask for the price reduction- there are only two answers- Yes or No, there is no maybe!! I got 3 reductions on our cruise and saved over 550.00 per person, before final payment.. We are Canadians, but do get to book thru US sites. I booked thru NCL, they were more than pleasant to give the price reductions..

Don't wait, call them, try and take every reduction you can..!!

Have a good time planning..its half the fun..Dona

Hi there,

Thanks for both of your replies.

Springwater that is brill!! Well done :D

Sparks, not so great :(

I have just phoned NCL to see what their general policy is and they are of the opinion in the UK they do not offer price reductions but did say to get my agent to call to discuss what could be offered.

I have now telephoned my TA to ask them to look into it. I'm not holding my breath! - Wish i had booked direct via the US website now :(

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated.

Hi all,

I have avoided the site for the last few months to try and curb my EPIC obsession but now it's finally 2011 I thought i would get back into my 'cruise' mode.

I have however today realised that the cruise i booked the day it went on sale here in the UK - so 1st April 2010 is now over £500 less if i were to book now (which i feel is a massive reduction!)

I know that in the US you are usually able to receive the price reduction but does anyone have any experience of this for UK bookings?

I booked via a travel agent and i do not know if i should ask them to look into it now or approach NCL direct myself and also if you are only allowed 1 price reduction or not and if so would i best to wait incase it is further reduced ?

My final payment to the agent is due mid May - They have to pay NCL by 22 July according to the invoices i have (they gave me the agent invoices in error) .

Any advice would be very much appreicated :)

Thanks

Sam, of course you should approached the TA. What is the worst that can happen? You don't get the benefit of the lower price. I would not wait, if you do the price could very well go back up, then you will kick yourself.

Nita

If the TA won't adjust the price, can't you just cancel this booking and rebook at the lower price?

This doesn't always work. Sometimes the cruise line will not allow you to cancel and re-rebook. The computer will pop up that you are a re-book. i really do not know the rules on this in another country, but I just can't imagine why the agency will not work with the client.

Nita

Hi all,

Many thanks for the replies.

The TA has now got back to me and NCL have said because i booked so early they cannot alter the price - my TA said for that reason you would think we would of got the best fare possible booking 16 months in advance.

NCL are offering an upgrade from the B6 we have booked (we opted for a large balcony room) to a 'mini suite' (deluxe balcony to you and i) - MB grade.

However even this grade is coming up lower in price than what we are due to pay. So now i'm not sure what to do.

Yes you would think i could just cancel and rebook, but my thoughts about that are also why should i have to? It does seem incredulous that that would be the 'easier' option to gain the lower fare if indeed it were allowed - I wonder how i can check that Nita?.

I do feel penalised for booking in advance now and putting my faith in NCL :( I really thought it was the best thing to do, book as soon as it went on sale, now i wish i had waited and kept our options open, you live and learn.

Do you think an email to head office may get me any further?

Thanks again,

Sam:)

Was reading your thread and feel very frustrated for you. If final payment is not due yet are you allowed to cancel w/o penalties in UK? If that is the case, what I would do, is try booking a new reversation through NCL US website at the lower rate and get a confirmed booking. Then I would contact the TA and cancel the trip, provided no penalties or forfeiture of monies. But sometimes even with the penalty of cancelling and the new lower rate, it may be worth it. Read your travel documents which they sent you (the fine print as well) which should address this issue. Good luck to you.

I agree with you samnewbie, but there is the other side to this... If the price went up, they would not charge you more.

That being said, I think you should be able to get some compensation, it is really frustrating. I went through a similar situation a few months ago, after final payment though... I took the upgrade.

The UK has such different rules than we do here in the US. Perhaps you could have used a US travel agent and been beholden to our rules which do seem to be more lenient. If the cost to cancel and rebook still outweighs the price of the cabin then I would cancel and rebook. And perhaps use an agent that fights a little harder for you?

Try also having your UK-based (correct, ?) TA negotiate with NCL to issue OBC for the difference between the mini-suite upgrade and current pricing over what you're originally booked for - the worst answer would be a flat "no" if you feel the mini-suite is worth it? Otherwise, as others said - tell the TA to tell NCL that you will consider cancellation - if there are still plenty of cabins in different categories for new booking (cancel and rebook as a new pax - especially if the cabin category and/or specific cabin # assigned aren't that important to you)

Just another thought & Good Luck !

Archived