First Celebrity Cruise, Summit Upgraditis!

KnightsOfNi

I booked the Aug 28th Bermuda cruise on the Summit a couple of weeks ago.

We decided to try to keep the cost of the cruise as low as possible so we booked a 2nd deck inside.

However this evil forum put ideas of breakfast on the balcony and panoramic vistas in my mind.

So after much deliberation we changed to a C3 room. This is our third cruise, #1 Inside, #2 Outside, #3 C3 Balcony room.

I am detecting a dangerous trend ;)

One reason (excuse:D) was that we heard that the crossing to Bermuda can get quite bumpy sometimes, and being able to see the horizon helps me if I am starting to feel it too much.

I have only been on RCI before so I am super excited to try Celebrity.

I hope I made a good decision as the upgrade cost me quite a bit.

One thing that was strange is that the CC rooms are mostly cheaper than the standard balconies!?

Looking forward to cruising Celebrity

Regards

Knights

Hi,

I recently cruised on the Summit (Nov. 27 to Dec. 4, 2010) in a C3 room (8134). I really enjoyed the Concierge Class stateroom and all of the little extras that are provided. These staterooms are very spacious. I really liked the Summit and had a great cruise. I highly recommend having dinner one night in the Normandie speaciality restaurant. It is very nice. Also, don't miss the brunch in the main dining room that is held on one of the sea days.

Have a great cruise,

Chuck

We decided to try to keep the cost of the cruise as low as possible so we booked a 2nd deck inside.

However this evil forum put ideas of breakfast on the balcony and panoramic vistas in my mind.

So after much deliberation we changed to a C3 room. This is our third cruise, #1 Inside, #2 Outside, #3 C3 Balcony room.

One reason (excuse:D) was that we heard that the crossing to Bermuda can get quite bumpy sometimes, and being able to see the horizon helps me if I am starting to feel it too much.

One thing that was strange is that the CC rooms are mostly cheaper than the standard balconies!?

Regards

Knights

Definitely a dangerous trend! :D Think you will find it tough to go back to those lesser rooms. Enjoy your cruise! Think you'll like Celebrity.

Most of the time, I cruise solo, so I have to look for a bargain. Often it is an inside. But bargains have also appeared after booking, and on Summit in Oct/Nov, I was able to upgrade one leg of a B2B to an OV, and the other to a Sweet 16. I am sailing the TA on Solstice in a C3, because I got a great military rate. I have no trouble moving back and forth. I don't spend that much time in my cabin, and even when I have had a balcony, find I probably spend less than an hour per cruise on it. EM

Hi,

I frequently cruise solo, too. I was fortunate to receive an excellent single rate on the C3 on the Summit (it was a sailing that was not selling very well). I also switch between cabin types. I prefer a balcony, but I look at the cost to upgrade for each cruise. For example, I recently booked a short cruise on the Navigator of the Seas for early March. It only cost me $70 to upgrade from an inside to a balcony (I booked during a sale).

Last May, I sailed on the Solstice in an outside cabin (no balcony) and had a great time. I also have booked many inside cabins. I love cruises and trying the different ships. The cabin is not that big of a factor for me.

Chuck

We have cruised RCI quite a bit and are looking forward to going back to Celebrity. I must say I LOVE balconies and would rather wait to cruise if I cannot afford a balcony. I love it especially in the morning if my husband is not up yet I just walk out on the balcony and enjoy the view. We have our coffee and fruit on it every morning, coffee or wine in the afternoon, and watch the ship come into and out of port. In the past the cost was VERY expensive compared to ocean view but now that there are so many balconies on ships the difference is much less. We have never done an inside cabin and that difference is much larger. You will really enjoy Celebrity and will love the balcony but watch out I find it very difficult to ever go back!

Thanks for your comments

I did not mind the inside but it was always dark, so it was hard to know what time of day it was.

I found myself wanting a nap

With the outside on the Liberty, when the light came into the port hole I wanted to get up and get going, I felt more awake and less likely to miss the day.

I have a feeling that I will not spend much time on the balcony, but at least I will have a choice.

Regards

Knights

Regards

Knights

Congrats on a C3 room on the Summit. You will enjoy it. Check out the following video to see what you will be enjoying:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mathgeek1978?feature=mhum#p/u/9/jb986VPRF2M

Have fun!

I think a Bermuda cruise is especially good for a balcony, because you'll be in port for a couple nights and mornings, which are the best times to sit on the balcony and just enjoy the view. King's Wharf is lovely from both sides of the ship. Congratulations to the OP, I think you made a good move to upgrade yourself!

Thanks for sharing the vid MathGeek I enjoyed seeing the ship and the Southern Caribbean destinations, have not done that route yet.

I am just glad to be on any cruise, so a balcony is just a bonus, I am sure I would enjoy it either way:)

Unfortunately I am an obsessive price checker so I will be watching price drops

Thanks for sharing

Knights

We were fortunate to snag sky suite 6145 on Summit in December for a great price and were really spoiled. Service was excellent from everyone on this beautiful ship. Normandie definitely is not to be missed. Formal nights in MDR were excellent so I would dine at Normandie one other evenings. We ate there three times. Check out the photos in the link below.

We were fortunate to snag sky suite 6145 on Summit in December for a great price and were really spoiled. Service was excellent from everyone on this beautiful ship. Normandie definitely is not to be missed. Formal nights in MDR were excellent so I would dine at Normandie one other evenings. We ate there three times. Check out the photos in the link below.

Thank you, just checked out your wonderful photos

This ship is not like the other ships I have been on, Freedom and Liberty, it was like being on the same ship twice;) This will be totally new to me.

I am hoping someone will be able to tell me when the formal nights are so I can schedule Normandie on a different night, I don't want to miss the formal nights in the MDR.

Thanks

Knights

Archived